International Schools in Phuket are so Expensive

Erika Schmiderdeker

We have decided to move to Phuket and are now visiting Schools to see which one is the best school but from what we have seen they are all super expensive. We have looked in Bangkok last year and we find that you get much better value for money. From what we have seen it really seams the cheaper schools offer exactly the same as the surprisingly expensive schools. I would really appreciate any one's advice 

15 minutes ago, Erika Schmiderdeker said:

seams the cheaper schools offer exactly the same as the surprisingly expensive schools.

I would disagree with that, most International are more expensive but they offer an EDUCATION as opposed to local schools that indoctrinate. I put my two kids through international school at great expense and will never regret it, they both achieved bachelor degrees in my country and the grounding they got from the international school here was invaluable. 

BIS and UWC are certainly on a par with the more expensive Bangkok schools but I'd say Headstart, BCIS and KIS are mid-range and prbably cheaper than most Bangkok equivalents, from the research I've done.

However pricing has been hit for many by the strength of the baht and the weakness of certain other currencies.

1 minute ago, madmitch said:

BIS and UWC are certainly on a par with the more expensive Bangkok schools but I'd say Headstart, BCIS and KIS are mid-range and prbably cheaper than most Bangkok equivalents, from the research I've done.

However pricing has been hit for many by the strength of the baht and the weakness of certain other currencies.

I'd also like to throw in Palm House International school. Both my kids are there and in general I'm happy. Especially the small classes, around 10 pax maximum, are IMO a real advantage.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

I'd also like to throw in Palm House International school. Both my kids are there and in general I'm happy. Especially the small classes, around 10 pax maximum, are IMO a real advantage.

Yes, a good option for primary level at a good price. Also Oak Meadow is a cheaper option with an American-based curriculum but I'm not quite sure what qualifictions you get at the end of it!

I appreciate all the replies. We visited Headstart, British International and then a small school called Buds International. We were really shocked that such a small school with half of the prices offer all the same prestation for much less money. So I wanted to get some feedback. Thanks for mentioning these schools. We are looking for a school where we can find quality education for our budget without having to waste the money. I think we are happy with Buds. Has anyone heard or been to Buds?

57 minutes ago, Erika Schmiderdeker said:

I appreciate all the replies. We visited Headstart, British International and then a small school called Buds International. We were really shocked that such a small school with half of the prices offer all the same prestation for much less money. So I wanted to get some feedback. Thanks for mentioning these schools. We are looking for a school where we can find quality education for our budget without having to waste the money. I think we are happy with Buds. Has anyone heard or been to Buds?

I did not know Buds except for their kindergarten, so really can't comment on their primary.

Buds has a high turnover, the Filipinos work non-stop with minimum breaks. The teachers do not stay for long. They actually get paid on the 21st. of the month, to stop teachers from leaving.  Yes, they withhold 21 days!.

For the mid-range schools, KIS and Headstart are ok. BCIS is new and they have some good facilities. Just beware, just because the school has INTERNATIONAL in the name, does not mean that it is.

If ur american look at QSI: american teachers, follows the american system ( non of this "A-O" level stuff) very good teacher -student ratio. Its not as fancy looking as BSI but the quality of the education is far better.  My daughter attend her last 3 years there after 5 at Dulwich ( BIS)

also less expensive

On 10/16/2019 at 11:14 AM, Erika Schmiderdeker said:

Buds as a school is very new, was a nursery only for a long time, we took our son to the nursery years ago (old location on ChaoFa Eats) when he was about 3, went to pick him up at lunch time and found ant bites all over his legs, never went back. 

Headstart is better then BCIS as of right now that is not to say in the future BCIS will not get better and also BCIS is about 20% less expensive.

My Advise is Headstart and look for a rental in Land and Houses either park or 88 hillside

Somehow saying my Child graduated from Buds school seems a bit off at least that's my take

My eldest daughter went to Buds Kindergarten for 2 years. When we came over to Aus she went into Year 1 and fit in really easy and was at least on a par with her classmates.

As a matter of interest she never had any Filipina teachers, all were from US, Aus or the UK.

18 minutes ago, AlexBarry said:

Any clue about schools that teach in French? I am British but my wife is French and we would like our daughter to get a bilingual education if possible

BCIS and ISP

BCIS better facilities but ISP cheaper. Teams are good on both sides.  Both schools have gym and other activities in english.

If you dont live in rawai, ISP will be a pain to get to at rush hour.

16 hours ago, bearpolar said:

<snip>

If you dont live in rawai, ISP will be a pain to get to at rush hour.

You may have missed it, but with the Chalong underpass working it is really easy to get to and from Rawai, even in rush hour.

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

You may have missed it, but with the Chalong underpass working it is really easy to get to and from Rawai, even in rush hour.

yes the underpass is great but the streets before that are not as fun and theres a lot of people turning that block the traffic 5m at a time

Archived