BANGKOK
WaveHunter

Thai Customs When Travelling On Long-Stay Visa

Insurance is a good idea, especially if it covers damage during transport as the airline will make you sign the back of the luggage tag which they can use to avoid responsibility for any damage during baggage handling. 

(I had a pushchair broken (one of the metal legs of a Maclaren buggy had been snapped in half) & the airline refused to pay compensation even when IATA assisted invoking the Montreal convention. After the airline still refused to cover the damage the advice from the IATA was to sue the airline for the damage, a process which would cost more than the $500 pushchair. The airline knew this, I never flew Etihad again - I was a gold card FF member at the time).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Insurance is a good idea, especially if it covers damage during transport as the airline will make you sign the back of the luggage tag which they can use to avoid responsibility for any damage during baggage handling. 

(I had a pushchair broken (one of the metal legs of a Maclaren buggy had been snapped in half) & the airline refused to pay compensation even when IATA assisted invoking the Montreal convention. After the airline still refused to cover the damage the advice from the IATA was to sue the airline for the damage, a process which would cost more than the $500 pushchair. The airline knew this, I never flew Etihad again - I was a gold card FF member at the time).

Wow, you are a gold mine of good information today!  As stupid as it may sound, I wasn't even thinking of possible airline damage when I considered getting insurance even though such damage is a common occurrence for cyclists.

Now my task is to find a good Thai insurance agent...any suggestions on that?

Thanks again 🙂

37 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

It would be done before check in. You would go to their office at the Airport and have the bike verified before you check it in. 

I have not heard of it in Thailand but it happens  in Australia.   https://www.abf.gov.au/form-listing/forms/b263.pdf

Good thought; I'll look into that.  Thanks!

@ripstanley gave me some great advice and I need some follow up from anyone:

I am thinking of declaring my bicycle as "goods exported in Passenger Baggage" that I will be taking out of the kingdom on an upcoming flight so I do not face customs duty tax on those items when I return.  

Does anybody know where I would do this at Chiang Mai airport?  Does anybody know where I can download the appropriate form for Thai Customs, similar to the one that @ripstanley showed me for Australian Customs, shown below?

1823049291_snapshot_2019-10-18at2_08_24PM.jpg.a4fa1fcc707b930f41fe986b7f34e884.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter