Annoyed with Davidshield - no renewal reminder/invoice

simon43

About 6 months ago, just before my 60th birthday, I swapped my medical cover from HCI to Davidshield.  I paid the first premium for 3 months and the company said they would send me the next invoice 2 weeks before the expiry of the policy, (since I need the invoice copy to show my bank to send funds overseas).

Well, that invoice arrived just days before the policy was due to lapse.  I had to rush around to send the funds to their UK bank account.  I reminded them to send the next invoice renewal in good time for me to make the transfer.

Guess what?  They forgot to send the invoice for the next renewal!  I had the funds, but couldn't send them without a copy of the invoice.  My insurance cover lapsed because these idiots don't seem to have an automatic invoice/reminder set up on their system.

Right now, I have no medical cover.  I'm going to try to switch back asap to HCI, or any other decent insurer who works on 'ethical' terms.  IE - my premiums only increase for all in my age-band, and not because I make a claim.  I'm covered until death, regardless of any claims, and so long as I pay the premiums.

I know Cigna is another option.  Any others who work on an ethical basis?  Thanks.

One of the reasons  why you should always buy through a broker.

Check your policy documents, most allow you a certain time period to renew after the expiration date (I think typically 30 days).

How are you set up to receive notices from them? Hard copy or my email?

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

One of the reasons  why you should always buy through a broker.

Check your policy documents, most allow you a certain time period to renew after the expiration date (I think typically 30 days).

How are you set up to receive notices from them? Hard copy or my email?

Hi Sheryl, they send me emails.  I also have their mobile app, which theoretically allows one to pay any outstanding payments 'online'.  Well, it doesn't work with my Thai debit cards, even though I use these for other online payments...

Yes, I'm still within the notice period, but it irks me that the invoice/reminder seems to be sent out manually by DS.

Update:  As for the broker, I'm now living in Laos.  The sole broker in this country is slow and incompetent...

22 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yes, I'm still within the notice period, but it irks me that the invoice/reminder seems to be sent out manually by DS.

I am with them as well and my annual renewal is due next month. I am also surprised I have not had a reminder especially as I went via a broker - although paid the premium direct.

Have you had any issues logging in to their self service portal? I have been trying for a few days and just get a revolving log in process. Even resetting the password is not working. Not something I need until I need it so a little concerning.

8 minutes ago, topt said:

I am with them as well and my annual renewal is due next month. I am also surprised I have not had a reminder especially as I went via a broker - although paid the premium direct.

Have you had any issues logging in to their self service portal? I have been trying for a few days and just get a revolving log in process. Even resetting the password is not working. Not something I need until I need it so a little concerning.

@topt, I often have problems logging into their mobile app.  When they hadn't sent the renewal reminder invoice, I was able to log in and it flagged up that my payment was overdue, but I could pay via the app with my Visa/Mastercard.  So I tried and .... it was rejected, even though that card is valid for online purchases.

I'm still covered in their notice period for overdue premiums, and I've urgently contacted AA Insurance Brokers to swap (if possible) to an insurer who looks after their customers.

If you pay them monthly through a credit card, it works seamlessly. That said, I find their customer service to be truly pathetic. I wonder what exactly happens if I need to use their services. It was, in fact, AA that suggested them after April rejected me due to several old injuries. Cigna was significantly more expensive.

1 hour ago, malathione said:

If you pay them monthly through a credit card, it works seamlessly. That said, I find their customer service to be truly pathetic. I wonder what exactly happens if I need to use their services. It was, in fact, AA that suggested them after April rejected me due to several old injuries. Cigna was significantly more expensive.

Yes it does make you question it. Even resetting my password I still cannot log in successfully.

CS have apparently forwarded my issue to IT.............

I recall you switching to David Sheild from HCI. I checked them out at the time and their premum (for me) was higher than my HCI policy, with roughly the same cover so I stayed with HCI.

I have been with HCI now for 5 years and as I am 65 early next year will not risk changing for reasons you state. I can not recommend or otherwise as I luckily have never had to make a claim, but what I can say is their customer service and admin is excellent. I get a renewal pack 2 to 3 weeks before it expires, and have emailed them with a few changes which are responded to instantly and changes made seamlessly. They take payment automatically from my UK credit card and tell me when they do so. I already know I will be covered for life, and that an increase of roughly 50% will kick in on my 66th birthday. At least I can plan for that.

Last June I realised I was going to be in the USA on holiday over the renewal date (July) and I checked with them by email that the renewal would go through ok, and could they quote me/add cover for my 2 weeks in USA (USA is excluded in the main policy). To my surprise they pointed to a clause in my policy that allows for cover for vacation time once a year up to 30 days in USA (excluding the travel-type cover like lost baggage, delays etc).

This however has no bearing on their potential response if I ever have to make a claim. This is just for info and not a sales pitch I have no affiliation other than a customer.

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

This morning, I've asked around and got some quotes for comparable insurance, all which have higher premiums.  So it begs the question how Davidshield can offer such low(ish) premiums....

To be fair that was the case when you/I took them out so did that not occur to you then?

I am comfortable with that part of the equation - IT that does not do what it says when that is what they are meant to be good at raises other issues.

Pacific Cross International plan was the most competitive I found before but I had more concerns about them than DS. AA supposedly have a lot of premiums with DS so one can hopes that if push ever came to shove that leverage would count for something. 

It appears that CS can be an issue whatever company/price you use. I seem to remember I think Sheryl (sorry If I have misrembered this) changing from Cigna or another well known international provider due to CS issues. 

@Saltire, I too had no problems with HCI customer service.  The reason why I switched policies was because HCI had a compulsory $2,000 excess, and I had to pay the premium annually.

Paying annually would stretch my meagre income for the first payment, (thereafter, I can save up over the year). The $2,000 was the killer because I considered worst case scenario where I might be 90 years old and living in a mud hut in Issan, with a few thousand baht monthly income... I really wanted a policy with zero excess.

Right now, having looked around and checked a few other companies, the April policy looks reasonable ==> monthly or quarterly payment, high cover, medivac etc, all arranged through AA brokers.

• 3 weeks later...

As an update, I have switched to a $1M USD policy with an international company called NOW My Health.  They are based in Dubai and provide expat insurance policies.  They offer a policy that is regionally-limited to south-east Asia, with medivac as required.  The policy is for lifetime, no rejection or individual premium increase if one has a claims history.

I was accepted by the company without any medical exclusions.  The premium is $218 a month, but that includes a fee for making monthly payments.  There is a low, $500 annual excess.

Happily, I have been able to confirm that payments on my Thai debit card work just fine, (unlike DavidShield, where their mobile app refused to accept my debit card payment).

13 hours ago, simon43 said:

with an international company called NOW My Health.  They are based in Dubai

Does it have "My" in the name or is it just - https://www.now-health.com/en/about-us/ as if so it says it is Hong Kong based but has an office in Dubai?

Not that it matters as long as it meets your needs :thumbsup:

They mention some plans can you confirm which one you went for?

Simon, do you recall initially when you took out the cover, i was the one who was very skeptical and noted that there are not too many positive reviews about them, sold only through 1 broker and i contacted them directly for a quote never got a reply.

This is precisely why i was skeptical, because not only they do not respond to sales inquiries but offer rather cheap policies with high coverage and that is never a good sign in my opinion.

They may well be good company in Israel, but international policies are just not organised at all, also nolocal reps or even bank accounts.

They supposedly top up your card to pay the hospital, but prices are in THB and they top up in USD, you may and most likely will end up with less than more due to exchange rate and rates they see are not the rates you will get

14 hours ago, BestB said:

They may well be good company in Israel, but international policies are just not organised at all, also nolocal reps or even bank accounts.

I am with David Shield and you have some good points. However I am using a local broker (9 years now for other insurance) who supposedly has multiple nos. of clients signed up and is very positive about any claims experience.

Yes the premium gets paid to a UK based $ account but that actually suits me.

I have some concerns about their CS but unfortunately that seems almost par for the course for many insurance companies - I have had minor CS irritants with a no. of UK based insurers for other insurance over the recent years.

14 hours ago, BestB said:

and most likely will end up with less than more due to exchange rate and rates they see are not the rates you will get

Any proof of this or just your feeling?

2 hours ago, topt said:

I am with David Shield and you have some good points. However I am using a local broker (9 years now for other insurance) who supposedly has multiple nos. of clients signed up and is very positive about any claims experience.

Yes the premium gets paid to a UK based $ account but that actually suits me.

I have some concerns about their CS but unfortunately that seems almost par for the course for many insurance companies - I have had minor CS irritants with a no. of UK based insurers for other insurance over the recent years.

Any proof of this or just your feeling?

Only one broker sells it was my point, and yes it’s a reputable broker but again only 1 .

last point is my thinking . Have a think . Your claim is in baht. They are depositing in foreign currency   But using what conversions?

i notice you said broker has sold many policies but why no reviews or experience of claims from anyone?

again, not saying bad company , just no evidence of any kind , no presence in Thailand other than a broker and from personal experience not even a reply to sales enquires. And as we read now allowed policy to lapse due to their incompetence or lack of interest 

3 hours ago, BestB said:

Only one broker sells it was my point, and yes it’s a reputable broker but again only 1 .

last point is my thinking . Have a think . Your claim is in baht. They are depositing in foreign currency   But using what conversions?

i notice you said broker has sold many policies but why no reviews or experience of claims from anyone?

again, not saying bad company , just no evidence of any kind , no presence in Thailand other than a broker and from personal experience not even a reply to sales enquires. And as we read now allowed policy to lapse due to their incompetence or lack of interest 

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

@topt, yes that's the company. I opted for their Simplecare policy with $500 annual excess, and no outpatient or dental cover.

I can't comment as to whether DavidShield would have worked out OK.  All I can say is that my quarterly invoices (needed to allow me to send funds overseas from the local bank), arrived 2 weeks late the first time, and never arrived the second time....  That IMHO, is a <deleted> CS...., and luckily I was able to quickly switch to an alternative company, without any medical required, nor exclusions etc.

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

@topt, yes that's the company. I opted for their Simplecare policy with $500 annual excess, and no outpatient or dental cover.

I can't comment as to whether DavidShield would have worked out OK.  All I can say is that my quarterly invoices (needed to allow me to send funds overseas from the local bank), arrived 2 weeks late the first time, and never arrived the second time....  That IMHO, is a <deleted> CS...., and luckily I was able to quickly switch to an alternative company, without any medical required, nor exclusions etc.

If i were you, i would contact them or the broker and demand refund for previous months paid. They failed to issue an invoice, you had to change companies and now have the 6-12 months waiting period before you can make any claims. So the money you paid them was in fact a waste.

Threaten to file a case with an Ombudsman in UK or EU as well and i have a feeling they will refund some or all. make sure to add your email to them as evidence showing the pattern or late invoicing

Archived