Royal barge procession rehearsal

Mahseer

Hi folks, coming to town to watch the final rehearsal next Monday and wonder if someone can advise where the barges launch from and is public access allowed.

I'm a bit of a keen photographer and rather than just leaning on a rail waiting for the procession to appear thought I'd grab some other type of shots.

Thanks

I think the barges launch from the Royal pier up near Dusit and travel to Wat Arun. I am doing the same thing as you. I have walked that River many times, but its 99% of the time its been south of Wat Arun. I think the procession starts at Thewes Pier, so it may be possible to watch from Phra Sumen on that side or Wichi Prasit on the Bangkok Yai with a telefoto. A lot of the riverfront above Wat Arun is Naval property and I dont know what the access rules are. Plus you have the issue of light, remember that the Wat Arun side is backlit after noon.

I was thinking of trying to hire a boat but I doubt that will be allowed. Ive also been thinking of the Pinklao bridge.

Im going to be out of town on Monday and am going to check out spots on Tuesday, any report would be appreciated

Here's what I have so far.

Official route starts from Wasukri Landing (near National Library) so fair bet assembly point would be at the nearest naval land to the north but I have no idea where that would be but will have a look Monday and revert.

Ratchaworadit pier is the official end point (also known as Tha Rat) just by the Grand Palace. 

Best information online appears to be this:

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/07/everything-we-know-about-the-royal-barge-procession-in-bangkok-on-24th-october-2019/

There is a government Facebook page but hasn't been updated for a while:

https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/videos/vb.180940151929407/2655517661133954/?type=2&theater

I see all bridges along the route will be closed on the day but hoping not for rehearsals. Does Rama VIII or Pinklao have walkways?

Cheers

Archived