Busted: Brothel was being run "blatantly" at Chiang Rai hotel

webfact

53 minutes ago, Almer said:

Sorry but i have had a sheltered life, i understand the condoms and phones but what do they use the playing cards for, i have a bad feeling you lot are going to jump all over me for asking such a stupid  question

Whatever,
many people have alcohol, playing cards, a basket ball or even, whoever-is-in-charge-forbid, a pool table in their house.

1 hour ago, tandor said:

..proves intent.

intent to do what exactly ?
I have a few dozen in the house, these are obviously kept for survival purposes; water storage in case of an earthquake should other containers break ????

42 minutes ago, Almer said:

Sorry but i have had a sheltered life, i understand the condoms and phones but what do they use the playing cards for, i have a bad feeling you lot are going to jump all over me for asking such a stupid  question

Down time

45 minutes ago, KKr said:

Whatever,
many people have alcohol, playing cards, a basket ball or even, whoever-is-in-charge-forbid, a pool table in their house.

A bit off topic but when I was working in Oman, we had the last licensed bar (beer trailer) on a mobile camp in the desert before the authorities moved to licensing individuals rather than the mobile premises they drank in. To retain our license, we were advised that we needed to have a membership system and 'House Rules' which we dutifully created addressing maximum amount of people, noise, behaviour, opening hours. etc.. In an effort to see if the authorities were taking notice, we inserted a rule about horseplay that stated:

"Horseplay in the bar is not encouraged. However, in the infrequent instances where it does occur, it is the responsibility of the last member closing and locking up the bar for the night to make sure that the horse is put back outside."

We got our license.

When travelling in Indonesia, and not being one to just sit around the hotel and wait until the next meeting, I would walk the streets and take in the impoverished culture.

Frequently, men approached me and said, "I get you girl". "No thank you" said I. He persisted.

Next came, "I get you whole girl".

I shutter to think what the alternative was. Maybe half girl !

6 hours ago, pomchop said:

Could it possibly be the Red Rose hotel near the old airport?  

I think the Red Rose was demolished last year but it was certainly in the area mentioned in the article.

The northern end of the old Airport runway has long been a redlight district, as much as we have one in Chiang Rai, for the police to single out a specific hotel would make you wonder whether the rules of the game had been breached, maybe too many complaints about customers being robbed or tea money not paid.

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You would think, but as far as the RTP goes, condoms in any shape and form near a mattress are considered primary evidence whenever prostitution is suspected. A few years back, a lot of tourist hotels would provide a 2-pack of condoms along with the regular 3-in-1 coffee, teabags and snacks. When this cops started using this criteria in their prosecutions, condoms became a BYO deal again. Probably the same reason the legendary TQ gogo on Beach stopped charging 1000 baht for condoms that were mandatory with each free barfine.

I guess most farang realize that the cops make it up as they go along.

Many years an American CEO here in LOS was stopped by the police on the highway between Rayong and Ma Tha Phut, cop asked for licence, boss handed over his Thai driving license (not a fake, obtained through proper testing). Cop took American to small police station, called someone then gave the phone to the American, the person on the line insisted (full English) he was a senior cop and that it's illegal for foreigners to hold a Thai driving license and the farang would be charged with buying fake documents and held until case goes to court, but 100,000Baht cash now could resolve the whole thing.

Farang was from a multi-national in a joint venture with PTT, he called his counterpart at PTT (located 10 minutes away). Within 20 minutes 2 seniors from PTT and 2 senior cops arrived at the small police station, Cop who took the farang to the small station arrested, later same day dismissed and he did 2 years in jail. Person who spoke on the phone in English also found, also did 2 years in jail.

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Cop who took the farang to the small station arrested, later same day dismissed and he did 2 years in jail. Person who spoke on the phone in English also found, also did 2 years in jail.

What? No inactive post assignments?

Times HAVE changed.

I know several very expensive hotels ( etc) on Sukhumvit road with girls in the lobby or at the bar. I do not believe that hotel management is involved. But I am sure the staff knows exactly what is happening.

That wouldn't be a "brothel".

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

I wonder how many folks realize that for decades (not sure if it it still continues so much today) you could go to thousands of hotels upcountry and sitting in a darker area in the lobby or in the back of the coffee shop, there would always be a few girls (and often enough boys), over and under 18.

All known to the hotel owner and the reception staff. In some cases the check-in staff would ask the guest if he/she wanted a  companion, pointing to the waiting companions and then leave the guest to approach, or reception staff just leave it to the guest to approach them direct.

All of this would obviously be known to the police who just ignored it and saw it is 'normal / part of life'.

And not only in Thailand, years back also in Taiwan and China. 

Thirty five years back I went to Taipei, I had a booking at an expensive hotel through a travel agent (all done by mail, before the internet). I check-in and went to my room, after 3 or 4 minutes the phone rang and the receptionist said 'I'll send a girl to your room now'. None of this had been mentioned in the booking process and not mentioned during check-in. I responded no! no! and hung up, phone rang again same words 'I'll send a girl to your room now'. I hung up closed / locked the door and went down to the reception desk, all the reception staff tried to tell me all hotels automatically supply girls and they were clearly shocked that I was saying no and tried further with 'what time tomorrow do you want a girl?' etc.

Next day I went to a meeting with a business client. I mentioned this to the business man I was meeting, he laughed and explained that 99% of visiting Asian business men expected all hotels to supply girls. He got his staff to move me to another hotel and it was agreed that the next hotel would not try (without my request) to send girls to my room.

But when I checked-in I was asked 'are you sure you don't want a girl'? I responded with no!, no!, no! 

Faced with such implacable forces perhaps you should have surrendered to your miserable fate and simply did math in your head until it was over.

Methinks you are kicking yourself now?

Archived