BANGKOK
weegee

Absolute latest from Immigration on Insurance...

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Last point.. On the issue of how crazy it is to use extensions of permissions of stay and attempt to trace them back.. 

What about the person who obtains an OA visa.. Extends on a marriage class.. Stays on that for a few years.. And now goes in for a retirement extension ?? 

The point I am making is non imm extensions of a permission of stay were always independent of the visa that generated that permission of stay. This new implementation breaks that entire system of logic. 

Because of this break, I would assume it either 'should' never apply to extensions (of retirement, they all default to O rules) or always apply to retirement (they all default to OA rules). Its utterly ridiculous to impose a some do some dont basis when there can have been so many non OA extensions in between. 

Lastly, who wants an OA now ?? Everyone will skip that and go for the O every time. 

I agree with you

and to understand the ''mindset'' of the law it's important to understand what is the point

for the Thais authorities (Or at least the point they stated, true or not)

they have a problem with the bill unpaid in the hospitals

as the minister said, the ''risk group'' is the retirees over 50 years old 

(They do not state the risk group is the 50 yo retirees coming on an OA visa)

so it's make sense they try to ''cover'' with a health insurance all the 50 yo retirees group

they probably want to go step by step, they are well aware about the exodus could be result of

a mandatory health insurance for all

just thinking about it....i don't see how i can be more ''at risk'' with my initial OA visa at 55 yo, no smoker, no drinker and with no any medical problem, and with 800 000 in a thai bank vs a 75 yo smoker drinker with multiples medicals problems and 400 000 in the bank, but hey, he is married and have had a O visa, so what could be wrong to pay the hospital bill? And we are both on an 1 year extension of stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Isn't the title of this thread wrong?  Absolute latest from Immigration on Insurance... (based on marriage ext)

fixed

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Outside Thailand of course. But can you explain why the item about OA (in the Page 8 chart) is under a headline saying EXTENSIONS? Is that a mistake? Are you sure it means nothing to be under a headline saying EXTENSIONS? Could it be it will apply to OA visas abroad, reentries while still valid at airports/borders, and also extensions with a base O-A? 

They amended the police orders 327/2557 and 138/2557 clause 2.22 for retirement rather than issue a new one to allow enforcement on entry to the country which is shown on page 11. 

This from page 11.

image.png.f049c4ab886f6e4ba09899c63f946c82.png

• Like 2

Ret ext no financials ~15 k

Ret ext no financials, no insurance ~xx k

To simplify things.

For more information, contact an agent near you.

Hello

One guy from Cha Am went to immigration today to extend his OA visa finishing on Nov 14th

They told him he needs a thai insurance to extend his visa, otherwise NO EXTENSION..

They gave a list of insurances which are allowed.. you can find it in this link

http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

NO FOREIGN insurance allowed..

Have a nice day

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, john thom said:

Probably every IO will do their own thing, just like they always have. I really think they make up their own rules- sorry-

Am I right then that there might be so drastic consequences for some at some offices compared to others that even moving to another province could be worth considering ?

It comes to mind that a short guide "What Immigration Offices across Thailand require" or "Guide to the Immigration Offices of Thailand" might be helpful.

• Like 2

I was planning to apply for an O-A in London before the 31st.  The Thai Embassy in London is already listing insurance as requirement, so I wrote to them 7 days ago asking when the insurance requirement becomes effective. I've just received this reply.

Dear Sir/Madam,

from 31 October hopefully 

Kind Regards,

Visa Officer

I hope s/he is right!

I'll soon know.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They amended the police orders 327/2557 and 138/2557 clause 2.22 for retirement rather than issue a new one to allow enforcement on entry to the country which is shown on page 11. 

This from page 11.

Getting a bit too in the weeds for me.

What is your current position on whether this will apply to EXTENSIONS on O-A based visas especially considering we now have reports from some offices that the insurance requirement indeed will be in effect for them after October 31?

Chiang mai Immigration informed my Visa Agent already that all extension from NON O A need a health insurance! so not only all new Applicants after 31.10.2019 all extensions from before too.

and here is a quote from their website: First year, all applicants can buy health insurance from insurance companies in their owned countries or authorized insurance company in Thailand. When the applicants want to renew the visa, the applicants must buy insurance from authorized insurance companies in Thailand only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello

Anybody has a rough idea of the cost of those insurances ?? I pay an insurance in my home country and won t cancel it.. so I imagine I will have to go from here if this second insurance is expensive..

Another thing they don t point out is the fact that those insurances won t cover for a lot of preexisting pathologies.. so, what will they do against that as your major chances are to be in hospital for preexsiting pathologies.. for which the hospital won t get a cent from the insurance..

Have a nice evening..

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

This from page 11.

Ohh dear.. that looks messy to say the least.. 

Officer discretion at reviewing english language technical documents.. 

Pot luck at best.. Lets hope that airport enforcement isnt a thing..