BANGKOK
weegee

Absolute latest from Immigration on Insurance...

26 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

for someone of my age, unaffordable. 

And that's the point of this law. There is no other explanation.

Hello

I have seen on the link a certificate which can be signed by a foreign insurance BUT I imagine it is only to get the first OA visa, as the text states that for 1st year you can have a foreign insurance but no more for extension..
I think they found this idea to squeeze a little more retirees, forcing them to invest in local insurance companies..
Have a nice evening
That is not a government website you saw this on. It is one run by a group of local insurers.

Note the disclaimer on the site.

Attempts are underway to get clarification from Immigration on use of foreign policies.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Not even close. One requires 800k while the other required zip in a thai bank how is that the same ?

The only maybe are the 65k income earners that seem to be on good wicket and why are they not required to have insurance but in reality they are very few and far between eg oz pension is 35k as of last month 

Your talking about Visas, the initial issuance of them outside Thailand, I mean the the requirements for extensions based on retirement. 

The extension of stay for reasons of retirement for both an non imm OA generated and a non imm O generated permission of stay.. 

Both those classes have exactly the same set of requirements, to result in the same kind of annual extension, with the single exception of the health insurance. It makes no sense to differentiate the 2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

based on what - you are claiming something on hearsay/rumour when you have been told on numerous threads it is nonsense

you can believe what you want but by constantly posting it on here you are bordering on spamming trolling and inventing conspiracies for effect

Read the official police order and move on and stop with the nonsense rumours

and BTW I am no supporter of Thai authorities and their actions this last year or so - idiotic 

Based on the video posted recording an officer saying it was applicable to extensions of permission of stay !! 

3 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Based on the video posted recording an officer saying it was applicable to extensions of permission of stay !! 

nope !!

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Might as well go back to doing border runs.Don't need money in bank don't need insurance don't need umpteen misinterpreted rules made up by misinformed IO's.It's so simple.

just its getting harder and harder to get multiple entry non imm visas.. UK for example now pushes everyone to single entry non imms and extending incountry. Its an annoyance for me as I like using MEs and travel a lot so almost never get to 90 days so can avoid all the requirements, TM30, etc etc.. My issue is I am not here long enough to get to the end of a 90 day stay, and then request the extension and under review period, that would go to 120 days and I simply dont have that much time in one place. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

nope !!

Nope that video wasnt posted ?? Nope that officer didnt say that ?? 

... thinking I might just have figured out why O-X requires both, dosh with the local banksters as well as insurance ... here it goes:

If one commits himself voluntarily to 10 years in the LOS(panners-permanently-thrown-in-and-meanwhile-gettin-massively-on-me-gonads) one needs to be punished and therefore is subjected to the pretty worthless scam-insurance ...

Well? How's that for an explanation? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, whitemouse said:

The way it looks now, agents may be useless, this time.

Look at last couple of years, everything is designed to get foreigners, especially Westerners out. 

The money in the bank, strictly enforced, before AND after extension is granted.

No more letters from Embassies accepted, notice how Embassies they selected happen to be of countries where most expats come from.

TM30, I live in Pattaya, going to Bangkok for a weekend requires me to visit Bangkok immigration. Regulation designed to harrass, no other possible reason.

Western tourist with valid visas denied entry, deported, using false reasons (lack of money). As if a Westerners does not have 500€ in a bank. Coincidentally, traveller is not allowed to use ATM, this is not toughtlessness, this is the intended effect, it is designed to kick Westerners out.

Anyone who believes this insurance requirement affects only O-A is kidding themselves. Thailand is culling the herd of Westerners, it is so obvious, how can anyone not see it?

Whilst i agree with what you are saying, that there is an anti foreigner vibe coming from the top, down at the bottom of the pyramid, money is money, at the end of the day.

It seems that they forget about TM30, financials, and likely insurances, for a price.

For people that really want to stay in Thailand, and are willing to put up with it, it may come as a viable option. Perhaps better than "i need to move back home, I have no other options".

Edited by lkv

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Nope that video wasnt posted ?? Nope that officer didnt say that ?? 

officer. thread was  locked by mods after carefully watching it.I saw it and didn't see what you claim. Did you watch it or relying on just comments from others

18 hours ago, Ej2562 said:

Will the health insurance one has in their home country be accept for the insurance requirement?

Or does it has to be medical insurance purchased in Thailand?

Apparently not, only thai insurance companies for renewal,  http://longstay.tgia.org/home/guidelineoa

First year, all applicants can buy health insurance from insurance companies in their owned countries or authorized insurance company in Thailand. When the applicants want to renew the visa, the applicants must buy insurance from authorized insurance companies in Thailand only. Any inquiries on completing Insurance application can be addressed at each insurance company

Edited by aixois

3 hours ago, Chiller said:

This policy has to be intended to affect only those long term visitors to Thailand who by virtue of having a Non O-A Visa do not need to have any money deposited in Los.  Anyone applying for extensions have to prove either income, or monies in a Thai bank, and I would suggest most ex pats are now showing money in the bank. 

If it was otherwise intended to also require O-A Visa holders to have insurance at the point of applying for an extension of stay then it would also apply to those with a Non O type Visa.

It cannot be the intended case that two ex pats could arrive at the same Immigration Office on the same day, one aged 75 years with a Non O Visa, and one aged 55 years with an O-A Visa and in order to be granted an extension of stay only the 55 year old would require health Insurance?!

I think we will find that this policy is not designed for those seeking extensions, who in the main do have funds available in Thailand if required.

I don't know why you think O-A visa holders are not required to have money deposited in LoS. I've had my O-A visa since 2005 and every year I've been required to prove I have at least 800,000 on deposit in a Thai bank, for the required period and to produce a Thai bank letter and along with copies of bank passbooks.

Also, there is a template in one of the other threads that can be printed and must be signed by Directors of overseas insurance companies, if they are to be used instead of a Thai insurance company. I have read reports of at least two people getting that form signed and ready to use.

Edited by saengd

5 minutes ago, saengd said:

I don't know why you think O-A visa holders are not required to have money deposited in LoS. I've had my O-A visa since 2005 and every year I've been required to prove I have at least 800,000 on deposit in a Thai bank, for the required period and to produce a Thai bank letter and along with copies of bank passbooks.

Also, there is a template in one of the other threads that can be printed and must be signed by Directors of overseas insurance companies, if they are to be used instead of a Thai insurance company. I have read reports of at least two people getting that form signed and ready to use.

O-A visas -- no need for money deposited in Thailand for bank methods.

Extensions based on retirement -- need for money deposited in Thailand for bank methods (starting from OA or O)

Next … 

8 minutes ago, saengd said:

http://longstay.tgia.org/document/overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

• Like 1