Absolute latest from Immigration on Insurance...

5 hours ago, lupin said:

Thanks  no ambiguity, it's for new O-A visas , nothing about extension;  problem is that in the same text, below, it's said that people who where granted a O-A visa have to buy a Thai insurance 

confusion, even some I.O are confused 

today somebody in an I.O told my GF everybody needs to buy a Thai insurance, extension or not ; they didn't read the text, the one you sent me is in the first page of the Thai version

As it sounds like he is voming on a re-entry permit thete is no need to do this.

Coming in on a re-entry does not generate a new permission to stay. He id still under the same permission to stay already granted which the Police Order makes clear is not affected.

Even if IOs at Arrivals start enforcing this on people whose OAs wrre issued prior to the 31st -- which they hopefully will not -- no implication for someone entering on a re-entry permit.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So if someone bought a re entry permit when they got their retirement extension and few months ago and was planning to use their re entry permit to get back in to Thailand worry free after going back to the US for Thanksgiving holiday should they now be worried about being denied entry back into Thailand after their holiday even if they have valid retirement visa extension , valid re entry permit they purchased and stamped in passport , 20,000 baht in cash and over 6 months left on passport before it expires if they don’t buy this insurance ?

5 hours ago, Lumbini said:

So if someone bought a re entry permit when they got their retirement extension and few months ago and was planning to use their re entry permit to get back in to Thailand worry free after going back to the US for Thanksgiving holiday should they now be worried about being denied entry back into Thailand after their holiday even if they have valid retirement visa extension , valid re entry permit they purchased and stamped in passport , 20,000 baht in cash and over 6 months left on passport before it expires if they don’t buy this insurance ?

Compound speculation on speculation. Head explodes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My friend went into udon immo yesterday.hes a retired US major.asked him for bank proof of pension which he easily covered but they said he must get a letter from his US bank to say where the money comes from.then said where's his medical health insurance as he's on a non AO.he pulled out his Medicare and his army health insurance and got the knock back on both of them too.

so the latest I can report is you need health insurance today.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

My friend went into udon immo yesterday.hes a retired US major.asked him for bank proof of pension which he easily covered but they said he must get a letter from his US bank to say where the money comes from.then said where's his medical health insurance as he's on a non AO.he pulled out his Medicare and his army health insurance and got the knock back on both of them too.

Is it 31 October already?  

• Haha 1

Of course not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy chappie said:

Cases like this are a tragedy. Might have to just buy the cheapest Thai insurance that qualifies and just think of it as a monthly tax or fee of a couple hundred USD/month. Expensive.

35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Obviously having no cash limit Tricare not only meets but exceeds TI requirement. But IOs do not review insurance documents; they look for the standard signed certificate. Need to get that from Tricare which will be hard to arrange.

There is also an issue of whether any foreign policy or plan will be accepted; this is still being sorted out.

People with Tricare should contact the Embassy and ask them to help in (1) getting signed certificates for Tricare holders and (2) talking to TI/MoPH to explain re Tricare and advocate for acceptance of valid foreign coverage including Tricare and private insurance

Can't expect them to know the problem otherwise.

Sherly

I'm am in a Facebook group called Tricare in Thailand.  The only hope we have now is if the Embassy will discuss with Thai government that we exceed the requirement Immigrations has in placed and add us to the longstay insurance group.  That is the only hope I think we have left.  Letters have been sent out to the U.S. government asking for help.

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Glad to hear the Embassy has been contacted. Please keep us informed.

There are some of us who are Disabled Veterans who have covereage under the Foreign Medical Program.  I get treatment regularly and send in the claim and get full reimbursement for everything.   There is no limit and it lasts until one's demise.

I just can't see Immigration understanding the documentation.  The only way forward would be an affadvait from the US Embassy signed by the citizen stating  one has coverage from either Tricare or VA.   

It's time the Embassy stepped up and started to help its citizens. In fact- along with a medical affadvait- the return of the Income Affadvit makes perfect sense.  We can present documentation to the Embassy verifying not onlly medical coverage from Tricare or VA but letters from Social Security;  the Veterans  Administration and the US Military Retirement section.

A citizen shows their documentation which is easily understood- swears under Oath it is true  signs the Embassy affadvit and  then moves onto Thai Immigration who would accept it if the US Embassy  tookk a stand for it's citizens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

There are some of us who are Disabled Veterans who have covereage under the Foreign Medical Program.  I get treatment regularly and send in the claim and get full reimbursement for everything.   There is no limit and it lasts until one's demise.

I just can't see Immigration understanding the documentation.  The only way forward would be an affadvait from the US Embassy signed by the citizen stating  one has coverage from either Tricare or VA.   

It's time the Embassy stepped up and started to help its citizens. In fact- along with a medical affadvait- the return of the Income Affadvit makes perfect sense.  We can present documentation to the Embassy verifying not onlly medical coverage from Tricare or VA but letters from Social Security;  the Veterans  Administration and the US Military Retirement section.

A citizen shows their documentation which is easily understood- swears under Oath it is true  signs the Embassy affadvit and  then moves onto Thai Immigration who would accept it if the US Embassy  tookk a stand for it's citizens.

I can't foresee the Embassy doing what you describe, and  Immigration is going to want this certificate

https://longstay.tgia.org/document/overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

What they could do is facilitate communication with senior levels of Tricare to explain the certificate and need for it. And perhaps lobby with TI to add Tricare to the approved "list" of insurers.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

For entry on a RE-ENTRY PERMIT.  Not a new O-A entry. (Indeed, since traveling on a re-entry permit the O-A visa has presumably expired).

There is a world of difference. One generates a new permission of stay, the other does not..

If you read the Police Order it pertains solely to issuance of new permissions of stay and explicitly protects periods of permission of stay already granted.

And yet all extensions of permission of stay of an OA visa (even one issued years ago) do seem to require it. It is likely that those will get stamped in up to the end date of the insurance. 

So why would an extension of permission of stay (and re entry permit) be so different from the initial permission of stay (and re entry permit) ?? And then expecting clarity and accuracy from the 100s of airport IOs. 

IMO that doesn't reach the 'of course not' level of certainty. 

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

For entry on a RE-ENTRY PERMIT.  Not a new O-A entry. (Indeed, since traveling on a re-entry permit the O-A visa has presumably expired).

There is a world of difference. One generates a new permission of stay, the other does not..

If you read the Police Order it pertains solely to issuance of new permissions of stay and explicitly protects periods of permission of stay already granted.

How does this stack up against what Jip found out when he sat with Immi. in Bangkok and they told him he needed insurance, Jip has extended eight times so that O-A is long gone?

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Do you mean Pib?

That was in regard to extension of stay, which is another long story still being sorted out.

it had nothing to do with re-entry on a re-entry permit.

No IO anywhere that I have seen has suggested a need for insurance entering on a re-entry permit.

A re-entry permit refers to an already granted permission to stay.  Entering in one does not give any additional time.  Your permission to stay period remains exactly  the same as it was. As it is an al;ready granted period of stay new requirements don't come into play.

New period of permission to stay is generated by a new entry under a still valid visa, or by an extension of stay.  Pib's discussion with CW imm (which may have yielded wrong info, time will tell) was in reference to a future extension of stay.

The Police Order explicitly states that already granted periods of stay are unaffected.

Example is:  You have an extension of stay that expires in 1 Jun 20.  You have not be required to have insurance when you did your extension of stay.  You go away for Christmas and return on 3 Jan 20.  You are still on the current extension of stay.  You need do not need insurance until you apply for your next extension of stay on 1 Jun 20.

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 4:50 PM, ubonjoe said:

The effective date of he order is 31 October that means anything done before that date is is not affected. If it was retroactive it would state that and immigration has never done a police order that was retroactive that I am aware of.

I am getting tired of writing the same thing over and over again every time somebody starts a new topic.

I agree with this. Two things:- first the police immigration notice talks about the limit of stay on re entry being limited to the unexpired period of insurance. If you originally entered Thailand on a o/a issued before 31 October 2019, then there wouldn't have been a 'period of insurance' to begin with. Secondly, when I applied for my O/A in September, it was made clear that there is a 3 month window in which to use it.In theory then, I could have entered Thailand for the first time after 31 October on a visa in respect of which was granted before the insurance rule became applicable.

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

And yet all extensions of permission of stay of an OA visa (even one issued years ago) do seem to require it. It is likely that those will get stamped in up to the end date of the insurance. 

So why would an extension of permission of stay (and re entry permit) be so different from the initial permission of stay (and re entry permit) ?? And then expecting clarity and accuracy from the 100s of airport IOs. 

I am only guessing here...

but this seems to all rely on the foriegn Thai consulates being able to vet the persons insurance documentation at the time of applying for the visa.

Of course, Thais working and living in consulates in those countries can do it.

Actually its the only way...

If insurance papers had to be checked in Bangkok or neighbouring countries

then how the heเเ would they be able to check 

insurance policies in French, Italian, 

(and the myriad of other languages)

they would need a huge team of translators

35 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You were wrongly informed.

O-A Visas are valid for 1 year.

That means from the date of issue (displayed on the Visa) you can enter anytime up to the 'enter before' date (also displayed on the Visa) and be granted 1 year permission of stay.

The single entry 'O' Visa is only valid for 90 days.

If you got an O/A in the U.S. the visa would state that you have three months to enter Thailand.  If you did not enter during that time your visa is invalided.  I did my O/A in New York in 2005 and I remember it stating that.

Once you arrive in Thailand your have 1 year.

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Haha 1

My conversation with the two CW immigration officers regarding my 11 retirement extensions of stay which grew from my 2008 Non-OA visa was come my next retirement extension of stay late next year that since I had the underpinning Non-OA from Christmas past  that I "would" require insurance in order to renew my retirement extension of stay.    

They were basically saying it's your old OA which was used to get many more retirement extension of stays is the determining factor as to where insurance is needed or not to renew the extension of stay.  Each officer began looking at my numerous retirement extension of stays in my passport.....going back looking for the type of visa they sprung from...when seeing it was a OA visa from 2008 I got the bad news.

CW....or at least the two officers (the bulk of the conversation with one officer) I talked to in the Long Stay section where you apply for extensions of stays....is going on the new rule applies to OAs issued from Christmas past, current, and future; not only those issued after 31 Oct 2019.   Same as some/various other immigration offices are saying.   I repeated the question at least 3 times...expressing disbelief that my old 2008 OA Visa was the determining factor....how it was long expired....how a retirement extension of stay must be different....etc....but each time the officer said the OA was used to get your first extension of stay and effectively numbers 2 thru 11 extension of stay.

The officer said right now my options to avoid insurance was to get a Non-O at an embassy outside Thailand or leave and come back on on Visa Exempt entry and start the process to change to a Non-O within Thailand.  

I hope and pray HQ gives immigration offices around the country clarifying info on the new police order....like it only applies to OAs issued after 31 Oct 2019 if that is what was meant in the order.  But until that happens (not saying it will), that is what CW told me last week in a 10-15 minutes conversation where I repeatedly ask questions, expressed disbelief, asked are you sure, etc.  Time will tell. 

I just stumbled across this post. First thanks for your persistence on asking the right questions and getting answers although like others I am afraid this is the answer no one wanted to hear. I do remember when my embassy (USA) stopped granting the income affadavits and I personally went to Jomtien Immigration to get answers. Like you, I talked to the staff first and then the senior desk officer, and was told repeatedly must have 800k in a Thai bank, no 65k per month, no combo method. One friend took his question to the chief of Jomtien Immigration, same answer. Of course, ultimately they were all wrong and dispensing bad information right to the very end. I can only hope that is the case here, not so much for me personally, but for my many friends that have been on O-A permission to stay for many years. 

I’m a 100% disabled veteran myself 21 years retired Army I called them on Friday and it’s actually not all that hard after all. You just call OCONUS TRICARE NOT the Embassy. Make sure you are enrolled in FMP. If anyone has questions OCONUS TRICARE’s information is right here:

https://tricare.mil/ContactUs/CallUs/OverseasResources

I hope you have this information I promise I will post a topic about it later from one of my more permanent TV accounts lol. Obviously you notice how this information keeps getting mysteriously removed LOL [emoji23]. I will post a topic later from a different TV account from one of my separate devices. I’m on a NON-O anyway so I could care less but I hope this helps other veterans.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Confused 1

Extension of permission to stay and initial permission to stay (and, in cade of multi entry visas like the OA) new permission to stay on a subsequent visa entry all result in being granted a new duration of stay.

Re-entry permits do not. Utterly different.

• Like 1