BANGKOK
weegee

Absolute latest from Immigration on Insurance...

1 hour ago, Ej2562 said:

Someone, please tell me if the health insurance one has in his home country accept for insurance requirement for Non-imm O-A visa extension?????

If you read the police order it states a Thai Health insurance that must be 'online'??

All speculative or guesswork at this time....

42 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

It now makes sense....if you are here on marriage or retirement, you need money in the bank or an income. If you are on a non-OA visa from abroad you need nothing in a Thai bank, and so need insurance.

No, it doesn't make sense

if you are here on retirement extension (Arriving years ago with a OA visa) with the 800 000 bahts in a thai bank, you need to have money in a thai bank and you need insurance too

it's just a madness

Edited by kingofthemountain

8 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Yea I talked to Weegee after he got home from Immigration .What he said and what ubonjoe said is Correct.  the insurance requirement is for the O-A  visa that's obtained in ones home country and is valid only for one year. if one want's  an Extension based on retirement after that one doesn't need Insurance But one needs the 2 month THB 800k in the bank before applying for the extension and than the 3 months after application one must still have the THB 800K, after that one must have THB400K that then must be Topped up to THB 800K 2 months before applying for the next Extension 

According to the order, health insurance is not required for those applying for an extension of stay based on retirement and only applies to Non O-A visas. Non O-A visas are obtained from an embassy or consulate outside of Thailand.     Thank you all Kindly  😉 

Nice but it seems some immigration office have not the same lecture of the order

22 hours ago, weegee said:

Hope this helps you all out a bit more...

Of course it helps a lot to know the facts. The question, though. What should you do with them, when different offices are using different kind of facts?

I am guessing, the requirement for insurance for Non O-A is an easy start,

since they can get the Thai consulates (in your own country) to vet and approve the

policies in your language.

If it comes to getting a second year from that O-A,

they will then insist you arrange the the 2nd years insurance from inside Thailand, from a Thai company...

and bingo..the thai companies then get a cut at the scam (makes sense)

The O retirements got from in country are obviously exempt because of the

requirement of 800k in a Thai bank

(a benefit to Thailand..again)

Now people will avoid Non O-A and go to METVs or ED,

Id say it will force many to come in on a tourist visa and then put 800k in a Thai bank, to get the retirement without insurance.

For sure, id sooner bบm out a loss on the bad exchange rate, and have 800k to spend myself,

instead of giving it to scam insurance companies for nothing.

You don't get to spend it, you know.... can't spend any of it for 5/6 months of the year and can't spend hslf if it the remaining months. New rules.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Obviously don't wave anything.

Wai, smile and very politely (but firmly) state your case and show the relevant oart of the order. If necessary apologize but explain you have checked the police order and also called Imm in Bangkok and this is what they say. Reach for your phone to call 1178 -- smiling nicely as you do so.

PPP: Patient Polite Persistance

often wins the day but must have all 3.

If you aren't patient and polite you'll antagonize and that always ends badly.

If you're polite but easily fobbed off, fobbed off you will be, as that is far easier for them to do than to research an issue or call in a superior. Only when they realize you aren't going to budge will they condider doing either of those things.

Exactly correct.   I would add to have both the English and Thai Order- both sections underlined.  

IMO- the police order  is very clear who it applies to as in both Thai and English the word ONLY is used to descrive what the order applies to  (ONLY applies to holders of the O-A)

The only area that could be misinterpreted is whether it applies to an O-A issued before 31 October 2019 but I would  explain to and IO and show the orderr where it refers to an O-A issues afrer 31 October 2019 . IMO any O-A issued  prior to 31 Oct 2019 has been 'grandfathered' (does not apply) and that would include an extension of steay.

Remember when the  other changes were first put out re income and money in the bank - the first few weeks saw all kinds of incorrect answers from not only forum members but IO's- Expect the same until - they get the word.

• Like 1

If you read the police order it states a Thai Health insurance that must be 'online'??
All speculative or guesswork at this time....
I suspect that is a translation issue. Obviously it is not required that you purchase insurance online (and from my investigations so far is not even possible with many of the listed companies, at least not yet.)

It may or may not be required that you purchase from one of the listed companies or an affiliate they underwrite for. That remains to be clarified.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

29 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Nice but it seems some immigration office have not the same lecture of the order

Well they Should ,But hey this is Thailand  say no more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

It now makes sense....if you are here on marriage or retirement, you need money in the bank or an income. If you are on a non-OA visa from abroad you need nothing in a Thai bank, and so need insurance.

I've said this so many times... the argument that the financial reqs for an in country extension negate the need for insurance falls apart when you consider that the OX visa (obtained outside the kingdom) requires 3 million in a thai bank with the balance not to drop bellow 1.4 mil AND requires health insurance to the same value as the OA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pookondee said:

The O retirements got from in country are obviously exempt because of the

requirement of 800k in a Thai bank

(a benefit to Thailand..again)

and again.. the argument that the financial reqs for an in country extension negate the need for insurance falls apart when you consider that the OX visa (obtained outside the kingdom) requires 3 million in a thai bank with the balance not to drop bellow 1.4 mil AND requires health insurance to the same value as the OA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exactly

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

• Like 2