Absolute latest from Immigration on Insurance...

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

The problem is, as stated by those same insurers, is that they are tasked with designing a policy exclusively for retirees.. When the available pool of customers are all 'old codgers' then theres little room to spread the risk, and the policy will appear poor value. 

The policy doesn't have to specific for Old codgers they could offer a decent policy across the whole age group . They would get a good response from all  the public.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What are talking about? He's taking about announced enforcement policies at some offices. Not police orders. Sure you can try to protest an enforcement decision that you think conflicts with the official orders but there is no assurance of success doing that. That is why going forward we're going to have to hear lots of first hand reports from many offices to get a real feel for how this change is actually being enforced at the various offices.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

At this moment of time.

It is purely speculation  that Retirement Extensions  will be subjected  to  any compulsory Health Insurance. 

That is what i.am talking about 

Get It ????

Edited by deej

Hello

Anybody has a rough idea of the cost of those insurances ?? I pay an insurance in my home country and won t cancel it.. so I imagine I will have to go from here if this second insurance is expensive..

Another thing they don t point out is the fact that those insurances won t cover for a lot of preexisting pathologies.. so, what will they do against that as your major chances are to be in hospital for preexsiting pathologies.. for which the hospital won t get a cent from the insurance..

Have a nice evening..

There is a thread in the Health Forum on this including a spreadsheet attachment summarizing the policies. Read whole thread as well, as some of these companies will also issue the certificate for policies they underwrite but which are manafed by companies not on tbe list.

Generally speaking costs are higher than a foreign policy which has almost 10 times the cover but no or limited OPD.

And contrary to what one might expect most will not enrol someone over age 65. Most also do not guarantee lifetime renewal.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

It sounds strange the person had to put you on hold to get an answer as I would think a LOT people have been calling with the same question...that is, I have an underlying OA from Christmas past and I'm on my X-extension of stay...does the new rule apply to me?   You would think (hope) the reps at 1178 would have been given a definitive, scripted response to such a hot/emotional question.  

Also, there was another person who called 1178 yesterday (it was in a related thread) and given the answer it did "not" apply unless your OA was issued after 31 Oct 2109.   

So, who got the right answer...you or the other caller....or have things changed since yesterday?  TIT

I asked the same thing.  Why not call yourself the number is 1178.  Maybe you will get the right answer that you want.  I told them I been doing extensions of stays for 13 years.  So I hope she realized it was before 31 Oct 19.

• Haha 1

there a lot of posters on this thread rumour mongering and posting inaccuracies and generally blowing it out their a$$ - I have heard similar nonsense from barstool geniuses who also have no clue

there is one police order and it clearly states O-A Visa obtained outside Thailand

Those on 12 month extensions based on retirement are now required to retain a minimum Thai bank balance of bt400,000 for 12 months a year

At this moment of time.
It is purely speculation  that Retirement Extensions  will be subjected  to  any compulsory Health Insurance. 
That is what i.am talking about 
Get It ????
Not really but if you want to be in denial about some of the reports we've already heard about intended enforcement be my guest.

1 minute ago, smedly said:

there a lot of posters on this thread rumour mongering and posting inaccuracies and generally blowing it out their a$$ - I have heard similar nonsense from barstool geniuses who also have no clue

Even when Joe lays down the facts there are the same handful of posters with countless what if scenarios, loving to spread the fear

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

// there is one police order and it clearly states O-A Visa obtained outside Thailand

Where else could one get a Visa O-A ? :ermm:

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

// Those on 12 month extensions based on retirement are now required to retain a minimum Thai bank balance of bt400,000 for 12 months a year

Inexact. It's just for one of several options. :mellow:

• Like 1

Hello

I have seen on the link a certificate which can be signed by a foreign insurance BUT I imagine it is only to get the first OA visa, as the text states that for 1st year you can have a foreign insurance but no more for extension..

I think they found this idea to squeeze a little more retirees, forcing them to invest in local insurance companies..

Have a nice evening

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not really but if you want to be in denial about some of the reports we've already heard about intended enforcement be my guest.

No denial   . just commonsense  .due to

One thread on this topic (reports)was correctly closed .due to mis information provided from the  Opening Poster

• Like 2

For anyone with an O-A Visa either worried about or against buying insurance, can they apply for an non-O Visa just before their actual O-A visa expires and then transfer the required amount of monies to then extend the non-O visa, based on either retirement or marriage?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, smedly said:

there is one police order and it clearly states O-A Visa obtained outside Thailand

Those on 12 month extensions based on retirement are now required to retain a minimum Thai bank balance of bt400,000 for 12 months a year

And yet actual on the ground evidence of this being applied to OA extensions is ignored. 

Precisely why I started the now closed Chiang Mai thread, it was proof of an immigration office doing what you say they can not do. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, madmen said:

Even when Joe lays down the facts there are the same handful of posters with countless what if scenarios, loving to spread the fear

I posted the video, of that which you say is just 'spreading fear'.. 

I dont agree with it, but to deny it happened is just that, denial.. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chiller said:

For anyone with an O-A Visa either worried about or against buying insurance, can they apply for an non-O Visa just before their actual O-A visa expires and then transfer the required amount of monies to then extend the non-O visa, based on either retirement or marriage?

Logically that seems to be the case.. 

In practice, I cant see immigration not believing this to be against the spirit of the law. Either apply it to no extensions, or all extensions. Applying it only to some, when they are based on the exact same set of conditions, seems more than usually insane. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, erymax said:

Yes, this order to amend the criteria for granting an extension of stay according to (6) requires health insurance if OA visa has been granted and you extending the permission of stay is effective after 31 October 2019

My extension is valid until november 14 th . I can stay in Thailand till this date and go out this day ? ( because, of course, I had the stamp last year ) 

11 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Logically that seems to be the case.. 

In practice, I cant see immigration not believing this to be against the spirit of the law. Either apply it to no extensions, or all extensions. Applying it only to some, when they are based on the exact same set of conditions, seems more than usually insane. 

Not even close. One requires 800k while the other required zip in a thai bank how is that the same ?

The only maybe are the 65k income earners that seem to be on good wicket and why are they not required to have insurance but in reality they are very few and far between eg oz pension is 35k as of last month 

Edited by madmen

I entered Thailand on a NON IMM O-A visa 10 years ago and have been using extensions of stay based on retirement ever since. My next extension is due 21/5/2020. Is it possible to change to an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai in order to avoid the health insurance requirement. An agent in Chiang Mai told me that CM immigration said it was possible, I am just wondering if anyone else has any information regarding this.

18 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

And yet actual on the ground evidence of this being applied to OA extensions is ignored. 

Precisely why I started the now closed Chiang Mai thread, it was proof of an immigration office doing what you say they can not do. 

Well actually . . . nothing has been applied yet. Not until Oct 13th. And there is a long recorded history of inconsistent information from frontline IOs. I’m waiting for actions not words from the Immigration offices. 

23 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

based on what - you are claiming something on hearsay/rumour when you have been told on numerous threads it is nonsense

you can believe what you want but by constantly posting it on here you are bordering on spamming trolling and inventing conspiracies for effect

Read the official police order and move on and stop with the nonsense rumours

and BTW I am no supporter of Thai authorities and their actions this last year or so - idiotic 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 8:27 AM, MJKT2014 said:

Read the police order 548/2562 on the Imm Web site . Clearly states only Non O-A visa applicants need insurance. Extenders don't need once inside Thailand. 

is that for people applying after October 31st? or entering after 31st? i got my O/A today but havent booked a flight yet, I was planning to fly next Tuesday but have not booked tickets yet

You're distorting things.

Interpretations of police orders are one thing.

Enforcement announcements and enforcement details from specific offices are very different things.

Cheers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

is that for people applying after October 31st? or entering after 31st? i got my O/A today but havent booked a flight yet, I was planning to fly next Tuesday but have not booked tickets yet

Opinions on this vary and the order gets interpreted differently... but for you it doesn't look like it matters does it? Both the visa and your entry on the visa will be before the oct 31st deadline.

No denial   . just commonsense  .due to
One thread on this topic (reports)was correctly closed .due to mis information provided from the  Opening Poster
That was one thread. There have been multiple reports already about people being told OA extensions will be subject to insurance requirements in some offices. It's certainly true that we won't know if they actually carry through with that until later.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're distorting things.
Interpretations of police orders is one thing.
Enforcement announcements and enforcement details from specific offices are very different things.
Cheers.

Right ! sorry, it's not Joe who decides the things, it's immigration office ; event if it's wrong  the officer this morning told me that even with an extension and already an insurance in my country, I must have one in Thailand ; I hope to have very soon an official who says cleary " extension don't need " ; so far , nothing like this 

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There have been multiple reports already about people being told OA extensions will be subject to insurance requirements in some offices.

seems to be a few friend of friends reporting or from strangers chatting by the pool and one thread just shut down with another friend of a friend misinformation. Not much credibility there

• Like 1