Does my plan to stay in Thailand sound okay?

Hi guys, first time posting here.

So, my partner lives in Thailand and since I have a Bachelor's and some teaching experience I thought I would give the TEFL gig a go.

My question is in regard to the 30 day visa exempt.

I will arrive in Bangkok at suvarnabhumi airport on the 19th of November. I hope to stay with my partner for 30 days, leave Thailand in December spend a week in Tokyo. Then fly back to Bangkok suvarnabhumi, get another 30 days then try to extend that to another 30 days at immigration and find a job, hopefully in time to change to a work visa.

Does this sound okay? or will I get questioned, possibly deported?

I am coming from Australia with an Aussie passport and my passport has two visa exempt stamps that i got on: 25 of April and 23 of July, only staying for 10days on both exempt.

A multi-entry tourist visa would be ideal, but the time frame and requirements are too much for me to meet at the moment. Any advice would be appreciated :)

I reckon you’re fine to enter Thailand on a tourist visa that’s extendable by 30 days and use that time to secure a teaching job. I’m not sure that arriving then departing then arriving again is a great plan .... unless you have little history of coming in and out of Thailand? Could you not go to Tokyo first to avoid that?

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I reckon you’re fine to enter Thailand on a tourist visa that’s extendable by 30 days and use that time to secure a teaching job. I’m not sure that arriving then departing then arriving again is a great plan .... unless you have little history of coming in and out of Thailand? Could you not go to Tokyo first to avoid that?

It could be an option, I have about 34 days to send my passport to the embassy and get the visa sent back. I think I might be cutting it a little close on getting the tourist visa.

16 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I’m not sure that arriving then departing then arriving again is a great plan .... unless you have little history of coming in and out of Thailand?

I see no reason for him to have a problem with history plus it will not appear that he is trying live here on them. No are what they consider a out/in to get a new entry.

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

34 days cutting it close? Do they use turtles at your postal service?

Application for the visa states that it may be refused based on processing time. I could send it tomorrow, but it seems like a short time frame. I dunno, never really applied for many visa's before.

You seem to be aware that working in Thailand means you must be holding a certain type of visa.

Are you aware that to work legally in Thailand you also need a Thai Work Permit WP.

The appropriate visa is issued by the immigration authority and the WP is a separate item, and is issued by the Labour ministry.

To get a WP step 1 is to have a contract of employment. The application for the WP is completed by your employer and you. There are costs and for most schools the teacher pays all the WP costs.

Also note, in Thailand you cannot apply for a WP alone, it must involve you as an employee with a specific documented contract of employment. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

Application for the visa states that it may be refused based on processing time. I could send it tomorrow, but it seems like a short time frame. I dunno, never really applied for many visa's before.

• Apply by Mail

The minimum visa processing time for the submission by mail is the same as applying in person 3 - 5 Working Days excluding mailing time.  When submitting an application by mail, please provide SELF ADDRESS EXPRESS ENVELOPE for returning your passport and use a tracking number to check the status of your delivery.

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just a heads up.

There is no work visa as such.

When you get a job offer you will have to get a B visa and that is generally done outside of Thailand. You can then go through the process of getting a Work Permit. Officially you cannot start work until you hold a work permit.

Yeah I am aware, I need a work permit and appropriate visa. Any idea how long this process takes from start to finish? Thanks

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
  • Apply by Mail

The minimum visa processing time for the submission by mail is the same as applying in person 3 - 5 Working Days excluding mailing time.  When submitting an application by mail, please provide SELF ADDRESS EXPRESS ENVELOPE for returning your passport and use a tracking number to check the status of your delivery.

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Okay, thanks. I might do that. I assume the process of extending the 60 days to 90 is similar to the visa exempt method.

4 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

Yeah I am aware, I need a work permit and appropriate visa. Any idea how long this process takes from start to finish? Thanks

It really depends on the school you get your offer from. Some are fast at getting the required paperwork together some aren't. It's a question you will have to ask them at any interview.

The amswers you don't want run from   it takes 3 months but you can work anyway, we have a deal with Immigration to   don't worry about a work permit teachers don't need one, they don't earn enough.

25 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

Okay, thanks. I might do that. I assume the process of extending the 60 days to 90 is similar to the visa exempt method.

You don't need to specifically use the embassy in Canberra for a Tourist visa; only an A-O.

Tourist visas are issued at all Thai Consulates in capital cities. I've been getting visas by mail for a number of years using registered envelopes to do the job both ways. 

I live in rural CQ; a visa application posted on a Friday morning to either the Brisbane Consulate or the Embassy, always saw my passport returned by the next Friday. 

Edited by UncleMhee

7 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

You don't need to specifically use the embassy in Canberra for a Tourist visa; only an A-O.

Tourist visas are issued at all Thai Consulates in capital cities. I've been getting visas by mail for a number of years using registered envelopes to do the job both ways. 

I live in rural CQ; a visa application posted on a Friday morning to either the Brisbane Consulate or the Embassy, always saw my passport returned by the next Friday. 

Awesome thanks for the tip, my closes city is Melbourne. I'll look into it. Might be the better option

I did tourist visa a couple of years back (60 day visa) Issued in Australia (Sydney Embassy). I posted it (fastest possible post) it came back 15 days later. Easy Peasy.

If you have a teaching degree you'll be able to get a decent paid job at a private school (much much better pay and conditions) otherwise you'll have to take <deleted> wages and work wherever you can get a job with little negotiating power as to where you end up.

As to the poor wages paid for a degreed person i.e. one without a teaching degree (I got 30 years experience and a Master degree psychotherapy and it meant nothing in Los.

If I was fluent in Thai I could have taught at a uni (not being fluent meant that was out of the question).

You''ll be lucky to earn 1500 AUD a month without a teaching degree, and end up probably on the very outskirts of Bangkok or the countryside.

Private school nearly always requires a teaching degree) unless you are really connected) you might earn 60K Baht maybe more depending on the school and what Educational degree you might have i.e. if you can reach multiple subject e.g. English and maths or science and maths.  

I paid $1500 for a TESL course (very, very good ... said to be the on par best TESL school in Thailand along with another one in Silom area). But found it hard to live on the money I was paid as a non teaching degreed teacher, and so I stopped teaching (I was considered a good teacher too).

The work in wonderful and the kids great, we are much loved as teachers but poorly paid in LOS. Good luck ????

7 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I did tourist visa a couple of years back (60 day visa) Issued in Australia (Sydney Embassy). I posted it (fastest possible post) it came back 15 days later. Easy Peasy.

If you have a teaching degree you'll be able to get a decent paid job at a private school (much much better pay and conditions) otherwise you'll have to take <deleted> wages and work wherever you can get a job with little negotiating power as to where you end up.

As to the poor wages paid for a degreed person i.e. one without a teaching degree (I got 30 years experience and a Master degree psychotherapy and it meant nothing in Los.

If I was fluent in Thai I could have taught at a uni (not being fluent meant that was out of the question).

You''ll be lucky to earn 1500 AUD a month without a teaching degree, and end up probably on the very outskirts of Bangkok or the countryside.

Private school nearly always requires a teaching degree) unless you are really connected) you might earn 60K Baht maybe more depending on the school and what Educational degree you might have i.e. if you can reach multiple subject e.g. English and maths or science and maths.  

I paid $1500 for a TESL course (very, very good ... said to be the on par best TESL school in Thailand along with another one in Silom area). But found it hard to live on the money I was paid as a non teaching degreed teacher, and so I stopped teaching (I was considered a good teacher too).

The work in wonderful and the kids great, we are much loved as teachers but poorly paid in LOS. Good luck ????

Hi

Thanks for the detailed reply! I appreciate it. I understand that a TEFL with a basic BA is on the lower side. I will try to move in with my GF to save money. However, if she doesn't get a job in Bangkok, living together won't be possible due to cultural reasons of living with her family.

At the moment, I am doing a Master's in Primary education through Open University at a university in Perth (part time). I hope to live overseas in TEFL industry for 3 years, come back to Australia to finish my Master's final placement and get my teaching cert (Which I hope will open better paying jobs overseas).

Glad to hear that the kids are great to teach, I think I will find that the most enjoyable part. Teaching as a profession is quite fulfilling. Hope I can pick up some of the language too (the pronunciation is tricky).

Anyway thanks for the advice.

You should be aware of the school year here. Most classes end in March and start back up in May. It is difficult but not impossible to find a job in December to April. Some language centers might have openings anytime.

Be careful and ask questions about the school and their policy. As Overherebc stated, some schools know what is needed and can process the paperwork rather quickly but others drag their feet. You might also have to leave the country to get your non-B depending on the school and their paperwork.

Good luck

41 minutes ago, whynotme said:

You should be aware of the school year here. Most classes end in March and start back up in May. It is difficult but not impossible to find a job in December to April. Some language centers might have openings anytime.

Be careful and ask questions about the school and their policy. As Overherebc stated, some schools know what is needed and can process the paperwork rather quickly but others drag their feet. You might also have to leave the country to get your non-B depending on the school and their paperwork.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I'll try my best to find a job in this off season. If a school drags their feet i'll just move onto finding another. 

Walking up to schools and asking if they need an english teacher is a method i keep hearing about. Is this a good way to find a job?