Jump to content
BANGKOK
Thomastm

Does my plan to stay in Thailand sound okay?

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, first time posting here.

 

So, my partner lives in Thailand and since I have a Bachelor's and some teaching experience I thought I would give the TEFL gig a go.

 

My question is in regard to the 30 day visa exempt.

 

I will arrive in Bangkok at suvarnabhumi airport on the 19th of November. I hope to stay with my partner for 30 days, leave Thailand in December spend a week in Tokyo. Then fly back to Bangkok suvarnabhumi, get another 30 days then try to extend that to another 30 days at immigration and find a job, hopefully in time to change to a work visa.

 

Does this sound okay? or will I get questioned, possibly deported?

 

I am coming from Australia with an Aussie passport and my passport has two visa exempt stamps that i got on: 25 of April and 23 of July, only staying for 10days on both exempt.

 

A multi-entry tourist visa would be ideal, but the time frame and requirements are too much for me to meet at the moment. Any advice would be appreciated :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see no reason for you to have a problem doing what you plan with your history.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon you’re fine to enter Thailand on a tourist visa that’s extendable by 30 days and use that time to secure a teaching job. I’m not sure that arriving then departing then arriving again is a great plan .... unless you have little history of coming in and out of Thailand? Could you not go to Tokyo first to avoid that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I reckon you’re fine to enter Thailand on a tourist visa that’s extendable by 30 days and use that time to secure a teaching job. I’m not sure that arriving then departing then arriving again is a great plan .... unless you have little history of coming in and out of Thailand? Could you not go to Tokyo first to avoid that?

 

It could be an option, I have about 34 days to send my passport to the embassy and get the visa sent back. I think I might be cutting it a little close on getting the tourist visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I’m not sure that arriving then departing then arriving again is a great plan .... unless you have little history of coming in and out of Thailand?

I see no reason for him to have a problem with history plus it will not appear that he is trying live here on them. No are what they consider a out/in to get a new entry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

34 days cutting it close? Do they use turtles at your postal service?

Application for the visa states that it may be refused based on processing time. I could send it tomorrow, but it seems like a short time frame. I dunno, never really applied for many visa's before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You seem to be aware that working in Thailand means you must be holding a certain type of visa.

 

Are you aware that to work legally in Thailand you also need a Thai Work Permit WP.

 

The appropriate visa is issued by the immigration authority and the WP is a separate item, and is issued by the Labour ministry.

 

To get a WP step 1 is to have a contract of employment. The application for the WP is completed by your employer and you. There are costs and for most schools the teacher pays all the WP costs.

 

Also note, in Thailand you cannot apply for a WP alone, it must involve you as an employee with a specific documented contract of employment. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

Application for the visa states that it may be refused based on processing time. I could send it tomorrow, but it seems like a short time frame. I dunno, never really applied for many visa's before.

  • Apply by Mail

The minimum visa processing time for the submission by mail is the same as applying in person 3 - 5 Working Days excluding mailing time.  When submitting an application by mail, please provide SELF ADDRESS EXPRESS ENVELOPE for returning your passport and use a tracking number to check the status of your delivery.

 

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just a heads up.

There is no work visa as such.

When you get a job offer you will have to get a B visa and that is generally done outside of Thailand. You can then go through the process of getting a Work Permit. Officially you cannot start work until you hold a work permit.

 

Yeah I am aware, I need a work permit and appropriate visa. Any idea how long this process takes from start to finish? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
  • Apply by Mail

The minimum visa processing time for the submission by mail is the same as applying in person 3 - 5 Working Days excluding mailing time.  When submitting an application by mail, please provide SELF ADDRESS EXPRESS ENVELOPE for returning your passport and use a tracking number to check the status of your delivery.

 

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

 

Okay, thanks. I might do that. I assume the process of extending the 60 days to 90 is similar to the visa exempt method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

 

Yeah I am aware, I need a work permit and appropriate visa. Any idea how long this process takes from start to finish? Thanks

It really depends on the school you get your offer from. Some are fast at getting the required paperwork together some aren't. It's a question you will have to ask them at any interview.

The amswers you don't want run from   it takes 3 months but you can work anyway, we have a deal with Immigration to   don't worry about a work permit teachers don't need one, they don't earn enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

 I assume the process of extending the 60 days to 90 is similar to the visa exempt method.

yes

 

If you leave the country within the 60 days, you will need to get a reentry permit to keep your visa alive (can get that at the airport)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Thomastm said:

Okay, thanks. I might do that. I assume the process of extending the 60 days to 90 is similar to the visa exempt method.

You don't need to specifically use the embassy in Canberra for a Tourist visa; only an A-O.

Tourist visas are issued at all Thai Consulates in capital cities. I've been getting visas by mail for a number of years using registered envelopes to do the job both ways. 

I live in rural CQ; a visa application posted on a Friday morning to either the Brisbane Consulate or the Embassy, always saw my passport returned by the next Friday. 

Edited by UncleMhee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...