Multi-tier prices at state hospitals now in effect in Phuket

webfact

21 hours ago, webfact said:

“They can now charge different fees for the three groups of foreigners – migrant labourers (from Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, and Vietnam), foreigners staying on non-immigrant visas, and tourists,” he added.

This is simply a greedy money grab. There's no other reason why people from some countries get charged different rates from people from other countries and people with non-immigrant visas get charged different rates from tourists. How would they know? 

Because they are checking visas. It's a totalitarian big brother state when banks and hospitals become de facto immigration police by checking visas. 

My advice is don't pay the bill. Wait for them to discount it.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Some clinics do blood pressure for free, also blood checks for a cost, why go to an Hospital? Shop around....

In the meantime I have my own tool to check the blood pressure and for laboratory values I go to a private laboratory. I went there the first time because I didn't feel good. The second time I went there to check how the blood pressure medication works and to check the cholesterol levels. 

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am firmly of the belief that charges should be made for the appropriate services which have been rendered, and those should be the same regardless of who you are and where you are from. The local supermarket operates on this basis and seems to stay in business after all. The national Parks have been charging foreigners huge mark ups for years, resulting in many foreigners avoiding the places. Keep gouging foreigners and then they can scratch their heads as to why so many have left or aren't visiting anymore.

i already much prefer my vietnam dentist. excellent crowns cost from 1/4 to 1/3 the price in thailand. lady doctor is excellent and speaks great english, explains everything and not lazy.

last time i went to bangkok dentist was due to tooth pain from eating ice cream or iced beverages. bkk dentist tested for cold sensitivity by tapping on teeth. i had to literally direct the exam asking her to use cold to test for cold sensitivity. an american doctor i know was astounded by this.

the dual pricing may be related to knowing how much you have (visa requiremets) be it 65k/month, 800k baht or 400k baht

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Once they've forced us all to take out health insurance, the prices won't matter.

If only that was true, wheras the reality will be that we are all forced to buy health insurance that probably doesn't pay out when you need it so we will then need to pay the high tier prices at the hospital also. Double whammy!

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Also in the OP, “This law focuses on foreigners who do not have any health and accident insurance. ... the prices are now regulated by the government, so foreigners do not need to worry about being overcharged,”

I am registered with 5 government hospitals and have only ever paid the same as Thais. The law has introduced something that was never there before.

Like many issues it is over the top, we all have to suffer through malpractice in a few areas.

In 2019 - Appart for surgery which i doubt a lot of us does - With all informations on internet available for healing yourself naturally - with the healthy fodd store available - spices - detox - youtube channels - its a complete waste of time and money going to hospital ..  Simple as that. 

6 hours ago, Ajvat37 said:

Wow as a 40 old with some uninsurable health problems this is going to make me seriously reconsider staying in Thailand.  Almost a deal breaker,  seeing as I spend over 1 million baht a year here and have a Thai family, To have my health care costs increase exponentially just because I’m a foreigner is complete rubbish.  Looks like it’s time to marry the gf and head back to the U.S.  what a shame.  

Go to the U.S. to marry or you may never get the GF there. Fiance Visa.

Same service, same doctors and nurses, same queue. Only difference is whether you're Thai or not. I suppose the medicare taxes my employer and I pay don't mean anything for me now. What a rort. 

If the added cost came with added benefits like no wait times and more experienced doctors (and was optional), I know I'd be paying for the VIP treatment. I'm sure others would too.

You would have to name that hospital for me to believe it.  Most I have ever paid at very large Private hospitals in Bangkok was 1000 baht: (Phyathai 2 and Siriraj Piyamaharajkarun hospital). 
+1 I suspect it was actually a private hospital or private wing of govt hosp.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

where else?? are you joking.  phillipines, laos, vietnam, cambodia many latin american countries, anywhere income disparity exists and women have financial problems.

Of course you are correct. I was waiting for the poster to realize that obvious truth as well. He made it sound like the Kingdom is the only place this could happen

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If 'pretty woman' was real, they would have married, then 2 years later she would have divorced him and claimed half his assets.

Really? She would wait 2 years?

Things have accelerated since that movie was made!

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:
4 hours ago, atyclb said:

i already much prefer my vietnam dentist.

Any more info about your dentist? PM me you prefer.

an american doctor that uses her posted this.  link below

shorturl.at/jmCH3

21 hours ago, Brigand said:

Can you just imagine the venom and spitting if the UK came out with a policy that foreigners had to pay at the NHS and natives got it for free. You would be in court before you could say "hang on."

That's how it should be. Paid national insurance or tax...or not paid...one has contributed to costs already.

Now in effect ???
In Bangkok already over a month. As a diabetic the normal blood tests were 340 THB. Same blood check, not different 3 weeks ago already 1240 THB !!! Same hospital. On my previous bill it said 340. Going for a check up the bill they gave me in August was the same. When paying it was 900 THB more expensive. I showed them the pre billing from August. New price for farangs, they said !!! Go on Thailand, soon it will be bye bye monkey 

banana republic.

On 10/16/2019 at 4:33 PM, Brigand said:

Can you just imagine the venom and spitting if the UK came out with a policy that foreigners had to pay at the NHS and natives got it for free. You would be in court before you could say "hang on."

The NHS does charge non residents for their services, including Brits who have been

out of the UK for a certain period. It is only free for UK citizens, and at the moment those

from the EEA,in a reciprocal agreement, although that is likely to change if there is a 

no deal brexit.

On 10/17/2019 at 8:01 AM, fruitman said:

to India?? Come on man....

My insurance covers me worldwide, do you think i would stay in a 3rd world country for medical treatment???? 

So that means you would't stay here. The doctors in India by the way are well trained and are qualified to work in most countries around the world. 

9 hours ago, Tops said:

Now in effect ???
In Bangkok already over a month. As a diabetic the normal blood tests were 340 THB. Same blood check, not different 3 weeks ago already 1240 THB !!! Same hospital. On my previous bill it said 340. Going for a check up the bill they gave me in August was the same. When paying it was 900 THB more expensive. I showed them the pre billing from August. New price for farangs, they said !!! Go on Thailand, soon it will be bye bye monkey 

banana republic.

approx 400% price increase

As an old timer here in Thailand, Why shouldn't farangs pay the correct price at government hospitals? Thais effectively get it for free or 30baht. Why should foreigners expect it to be subsidised, as it clearly has been up to now.

Thai government hospitals are run off their feet with Thais...no reason why other than in exceptional circumstances they should have to treat farangs. Let farangs use the private sector, or if they insist on using government hospitals pay the full whack!

Come to Thailand as an expat or a visitor, then either expect to pay in full and have the availability to do so, or take out insurance before you arrive!

No sympathy whatsoever for the moaners!

On 10/17/2019 at 9:25 AM, owenm said:

“We don’t have any documents in English, but we have staff available who can explain the details to foreigners,” he added.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/multi-tier-prices-at-state-hospitals-now-in-effect-in-phuket-73252.php#KJB20yhhhx2WlJKA.99

No one at this stage have a downloadable pricelist in English, and how are staff with limited English going to explain the pricing structure that applies to foreigners in the different tier pricing? 

If they have already implemented these new pricing structures, why no information available in English? 

So you can't find out how much they are going to rip you off.

Archived