BANGKOK
NanLaew

What drill size is this saying?

Looks like drill a hole at 1/2 meter but I don’t read Thai. Cyphering the universal cartoon instructions is sometimes harder than reading Thai though.

I can read Thai but I don't know what that's saying except that it appears to end in "0.5 cm".  Not the normal way to label a drill bit.  Usually given as 5 mm.

• Thanks 1

Yes deeper than the length of the "raw plug"   

I found though that lots of times the walls are made of hollow "stuff"  and you drill through into "nothingness"   the raw plugs then push trough  into the cavity...in those cases having  a supply of those ( 5 or 6 inch long ) wooden BBQ screwer's comes in handy as they can be inserted in the hole until they reach something firm then snap them off to length and screw away.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, johng said:

It actually  says  to drill a hole  using the paper template with a drill bit that is "about" 0.5 cm smaller than the "raw plug" you'll be using.

0.5 cm = 5 mm  so I wouldn't follow that advise ( maybe they mean half a millimetre ? )

...quite often the drill size to use is marked on the plastic "raw plugs"   so for example  #7  

use a 7 mm drill bit.

edit :::

mis-read  it says drill the hole deeper than the raw plug by about 0.5 cm which makes more sense.

Yes, I've seen the guide number on wall plugs... but naff all on these ones.

edit: just saw a mangled 7 on 4 of them. I had opted for a 5 but that did look a tad small.

edit: my selection of masonry bits only has 6 and 8... go figure!

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Those plugs are usually 6mm or 7mm. they usually have a 6 or a 7 as a raised number on the plug

I get away with using a 6.5 on the 7's and I use a 6 for the 6's

Edited by canuckamuck

5 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Those plugs are usually 6mm or 7mm. they usually have a 6 or a 7 as a raised number on the plug

The point, which was to drill the pilot hole 5mm deeper than the length of the plastic plug.  I don't think the thickness of the drill bit was in question unless I missed the point...

5 minutes ago, mosan said:

The point, which was to drill the pilot hole 5mm deeper than the length of the plastic plug.  I don't think the thickness of the drill bit was in question unless I missed the point...

I posted to see if the Thai instruction indicated drill bit size. I have no issues drilling half a centimeter deeper than the plug as I have the plugs (with screws) as a gauge, but I do need to know the size of drill bit for the hole for the plug to go in, depth isn't really the issue.

17 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Sounds like a good fudge and I have done similar before. I just get p!ssed off when the hole is too small and needs messy redrilling. So far, I have mostly avoided the calamity of drilling a hole that's too big!

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Have been using 6mm plugs and bits and they seem to work well for normal usage (not for safety rails or such).  Also find the round type from China easy to pound in and always seem to fit well.

image.jpeg.1b2fcae5385af70940b1625997364be3.jpeg

• Like 1

Theres an advantage to not reading Thai.

Just ignore it, like we do with English instructions and wing it with your best experience anddiy knowledge

• Like 1

I always use a drill 0.5mm smaller than the plug - 6.5mm for a #7 plug.  It helps with hollow walls and if the plug doesn't drive in all of the way - solid walls - I cut it off flush with a chisel.  I wlays drill much deeper than the length of the plug.

Let's start with a full translation not pieces and parts:

Use an electric drill. Line up the drill with the hole in the paper. Drill approximately 0.5 centimeters deeper than the plug.