Effort to clamp down on illegal software launched

webfact

Effort to clamp down on illegal software launched

By THE NATION

800_296454a0df803f6.jpeg?v=1571213417

BSA The Software Alliance is partnering with Thai police and chief executives on a campaign to reduce the use of illegal software in the workplace by the end of 2019.

The Clean Up to the Countdown campaign seeks to encourage top executives to legalize their corporate software assets before midnight on December 31, 2019.

This campaign targets 10,000 companies across Thailand that are thought to be using illegal software. This includes corporations in a variety of business sectors, such as manufacturing, construction, banking and finance, engineering, architecture, media, design, IT and healthcare. Many of these companies are known users of software, but lack license agreements from software providers.

BSA is working with the ECD police to ramp up enforcement against corporations using illegal software and has already helped identify nearly 10,000 companies in 10 provinces suspected of using illegal software.

The Economic Crime Suppression Division wants to see business leaders take a proactive approach to cleaning up their corporate software assets so that they can enter 2020 as a safe and secure company. From now until the end of the year, it will continue to raid companies who do not comply with the Thai laws protecting software copyright.

While ECD enforces the Thai laws, BSA is contacting thousands of corporate leaders in Thailand to offer guidance and advice in addressing illegal software use in the workplace.

“Some CEOs may be aware their company is using illegal software and are wary of investing in genuine software,” notes BSA Senior Director Tarun Sawney. “But there are other CEOs whose companies have hundreds or thousands of PCs, who simply may not be aware of the type of software running on their corporation’s PCs – and whether it is legal or not.”

“BSA wants to help CEOs do the right thing but this requires that CEOs take a hands-on approach to addressing the risk of using illegal software in business operations. Our advice is that CEOs treat the risk of illegal software with the utmost importance. This means being hands-on and proactive. CEOs can and should control this risk factor,” Sawney adds.

The solution, according to the software industry, includes a better effort by CEOs at self-policing their own use of software by corporations in Thailand.

The Clean Up to the Countdown campaign is a part of Legalize and Protect initiative launched earlier this year. So far, the initiative has helped thousands companies in Thailand legalize their software assets and protect data from malware and hackers.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30377446

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-16

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cant say I have ever seen a real copy of much software in Thailand, even when you get a new computer it is loaded with pirated software, all the computers in businesses/govt departments run pirate copies. Maybe if the govt departments used genuine software they wouldnt need to do everything with multiple paper copies and could do it on computers instead, easier and simpler as well as a lot quicker but that is probably being too hopeful

10 minutes ago, seajae said:

cant say I have ever seen a real copy of much software in Thailand, even when you get a new computer it is loaded with pirated software, all the computers in businesses/govt departments run pirate copies. Maybe if the govt departments used genuine software they wouldnt need to do everything with multiple paper copies and could do it on computers instead, easier and simpler as well as a lot quicker but that is probably being too hopeful

That happened to me the last time I bought a PC 

Good luck with this, Just about every company has some level pirated software, schools, government office etc etc.

If you use local IT they likely activate most of it illegal method as faster and easier than legal option even if company has a licence lol .

Hard to buy anything here from a notebook to a memory stick with it being crammed with illigal software .

The Genuine Microsoft advantage showroom in fortunetown didn't stay much over a year, pirate shops been there good 15 years lol .

copy software used to be my second favorite reason to visit thailand.   it's no longer necessary, i get adobe cc , which suits all my photography needs, for 10 dollars a month.  and i have all the OS i need.  i remember one time in bkk, i was looking for a copy of photoshop, i forget which version.  i saw an "official" copy in a supposedly "official" store for , as i remember, about 600 dollars.  i found it at pantip for 150 baht. less than a mile from the official store. 

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

That happened to me the last time I bought a PC 

My computer is over 10 years old, when I bought it it had windows 7 installed, I asked if it was genuine and received the reply, "we don't do that sort of thing" as if it was reprehensible.

To get windows 10 I've been told it shouldn't be installed on my computer which is running on windows 7 I will have to buy a new computer.

Crikey, I can see lots of Thai businesses possibly going to the wall if they try to police this unilaterally . 

The impose of the overheards of this could push some business over the edge; that's why they are running illegal software now.

BTW has anyone checked that the TM 30 and 90 reporting software used by Thai Immigration is legal and licenced..... 55555

BSA The Software Alliance

Is this like the performing artists group that collects money from bars playing music on behalf of.......

Or it is just the family given permission to collect money from....

I'm using Win 10 which is free for tablet use.

15 hours ago, quandow said:

Went to Panthip some time ago, tried to buy a legal copy of windows. Hahahahaha!!

(Yes, I've learned how to get a real copy since)

I'm guessing they probably start at the source which would mean more than half of the businesses in Panthip would be shut down.

57 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

My computer is over 10 years old, when I bought it it had windows 7 installed, I asked if it was genuine and received the reply, "we don't do that sort of thing" as if it was reprehensible.

To get windows 10 I've been told it shouldn't be installed on my computer which is running on windows 7 I will have to buy a new computer.

That's not true. Microsoft doesn't punish users since they assume they have been mislead. You could buy Windows10 and install it without issue or get it for free via legal or illegal means that we can't discuss. 

23 minutes ago, kirbi53 said:

This will put the country definitely into recession 

Imagine the huge cost involved to do this 

So much for the government's current budget coming up 

Some country government have switched to Linux in part for monetary and security reason. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

16 hours ago, webfact said:

This campaign targets 10,000 companies across Thailand that are thought to be using illegal software. This includes corporations in a variety of business sectors, such as manufacturing, construction, banking and finance, engineering, architecture, media, design, IT and healthcare.

This campaign will shut down Thailand.  I'll bet Immigration departments are using pirated software judging from the number of ex-pats who can't do 90 day reports & TM 28s & TM 30s.

Archived