2 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Copying isn’t a crime.

Would you like to expand on that as copying is a crime under many headings:

Plagiarism

Copyright 

Patents

Intellectual Property

Many more......

It is illegal to copy movies, music, software, another person's writing, etc etc etc

1 hour ago, SuwadeeS said:

I use all OEM Windows 10. But I saw in many government school and even on Kasikorn ATM fake windows message.

And that school don't know how to get rid of that little "nag" screen...? 

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

I'm guessing they probably start at the source which would mean more than half of the businesses in Panthip would be shut down.

Now illegal software is also being sold openly online on Lazada.  I recently bought Microsoft Office and had to pay for shipping. All I received was an EMPTY envelope and had to receive some codes in the chatroom, together with a link to download the stuff.

3 minutes ago, Xonax said:

Now illegal software is also being sold openly online on Lazada.  I recently bought Microsoft Office and had to pay for shipping. All I received was an EMPTY envelope and had to receive some codes in the chatroom, together with a link to download the stuff.

That particular trader should be reported to Lazada but 'Hey!  Who cares?'

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

My computer is over 10 years old, when I bought it it had windows 7 installed, I asked if it was genuine and received the reply, "we don't do that sort of thing" as if it was reprehensible.

To get windows 10 I've been told it shouldn't be installed on my computer which is running on windows 7 I will have to buy a new computer.

I had windows 7 genuine .its did have have program to convert to windows 10 built in. maybe you can look into that  it was free update. but back a while 

22 hours ago, quandow said:

Went to Panthip some time ago, tried to buy a legal copy of windows. Hahahahaha!!

(Yes, I've learned how to get a real copy since)

And for (large) games an illegal copy costs almost the same as the real thing bought online! 

or maybe just leave people alone and get on with trying to get the country free of government 

fingers in every pie 

could anyone tell me when new law about use of toilet rolls come into affect 

on how many squares you can use 

17 hours ago, ChipButty said:

That happened to me the last time I bought a PC 

It probably happens to everyone. I wanted to buy a new laptop, found it but wanted a different colour and they told me they'd get one from elsewhere and to come back in an hour. I did, and it was indeed loaded with pirated stuff I didn't want or need. They were baffled why I refused to buy their polluted machine and said every Thai expected it to be loaded with software.

Actually, there is a free version of almost everything that is adequate for most peoples needs anyway. You only have to pay money for more complex programmes.

Why don't they hit the sources of these copies, I thought it was general knowledge that the pirate software originated from the Thai Universities, where the Thai Govt. (Min. of Education) has an obligation to supply original software for engineering students and alike to study with, in turn, some of this software requires the skills of a Uni. IT boffin to create the crack file etc. .... having said that, as a user of over 50 different types of software for our Survey and Mapping company, as high as 80& of all original software, is available 'somewhere' (Mainly Europe) as Freeware. All our laptops that travel abroad have freeware on them except for the operating system. Sounds like a money raising scam to me raiding companies and then fining them etc. ... this is South East Asia where competition is fierce, some smaller companies wouldn't be able to operate if they where forced into buying legit software (and they weren't aware of alternative freeware)

I'd like to know if the local cable companies like the ones in Pattaya actually have paid to run recent movies on their cable systems. Sometimes I have stayed at hotels and there were movies just out that were running on their cable. Something odd about it.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Would you like to expand on that as copying is a crime under many headings:

Plagiarism

Copyright 

Patents

Intellectual Property

Many more......

It is illegal to copy movies, music, software, another person's writing, etc etc etc

It really depends on your definition of crime. In most countries copying software is not part of criminal law but civil law. That means that police will not get involved. And if they want to do anything about you copying software they will have to hire a lawyer and go to a civil court.

So I am a little bit surprised that police in Thailand is going to spend time on this.

Like many stories here, this is only as good as the ways its reported.

BSA, Is actually BSA /AML.

Bank secrecy act.

Anti money laundering. 

Acronyms used widely, in global finance industries. 

I think what they are trying to say is IT Audit for all companies and businesses to ensure licensed software is used.

Ultimately the anti money laundering will come into play here somewhere...

BSA Global Software Alliance is a group representing the major I.T. industries worldwide. 

And obviously protecting its business and profits. 

40 minutes ago, rossco1 said:

or maybe just leave people alone and get on with trying to get the country free of government 

fingers in every pie 

could anyone tell me when new law about use of toilet rolls come into affect 

on how many squares you can use 

If you are still use toilet roll you're doing it wrong ????

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

My computer is over 10 years old, when I bought it it had windows 7 installed, I asked if it was genuine and received the reply, "we don't do that sort of thing" as if it was reprehensible.

To get windows 10 I've been told it shouldn't be installed on my computer which is running on windows 7 I will have to buy a new computer.

i have upgraded 3 desktop computers from win 7 to win 10.  all three went flawlessly and painlessly. 

28 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

some smaller companies wouldn't be able to operate if they where forced into buying legit software (and they weren't aware of alternative freeware)

Am using OpenOffice for ten  years plus, never had issues.

It's an interesting fact, I think, that Bill Gates (richest man in the world still?) and his Microsoft empire manage it with selling maybe less than 50% of their products at the official price.

I myself have been using Windows and Microsoft Office Suite and never in 25 years bought any of it at the retail price.

With all the pirated movie discs and movie downloads still easily obtainable and not even close to being stamped out, I can’t see pirate software usage controlled here or in any other country ‘especially Asia’ anytime soon

20 hours ago, quandow said:

Went to Panthip some time ago, tried to buy a legal copy of windows. Hahahahaha!!

(Yes, I've learned how to get a real copy since)

Not that difficult surely?

JIB, Banana IT, IT City, they are selling genuine windows software.

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I love my 8 year old ASUS / Windows 7.  BTW, the reason you can not go to Windows 10 has nothing to do with Windows 7, our older computers would CRAWL with Windows 10 installed.  Keep enjoying your fast, reliable Windows 7 machine, and to protect it ... get AVAST anti-virus on there to catch malware.

Archived