Effort to clamp down on illegal software launched

webfact

I went to the government hospital yesterday. During the last flooding 2 years ago they, a lot of equipment was damaged. After that, they installed a new hospital computer system and new workstations on almost every nurses desk. And what do those workstations run? Windows XP!!! All you need to activate WIndows XP forever, is a volume license key. Windows does not verify it with the local DC, just runs.

I just wonder what runs the server? Windows NT? 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, seajae said:

cant say I have ever seen a real copy of much software in Thailand, even when you get a new computer it is loaded with pirated software, all the computers in businesses/govt departments run pirate copies. Maybe if the govt departments used genuine software they wouldnt need to do everything with multiple paper copies and could do it on computers instead, easier and simpler as well as a lot quicker but that is probably being too hopeful

Depends where you buy. Our laptops and desk top all have genuine licensed software. Costs more of course. 

IME when you buy a new computer they ask you if you want genuine or not and quote the two prices. You pays your money and makes your choice.

I always go for the genuine. 

23 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Perhaps they should check their own software while they're at it.....

… and to not forget the hardware ….

8 hours ago, Rimbuman said:

What a clowns again, just making smokescreens to pretend that they actually do something for their fat pay checks.

Can't agree more. Gotta play the game to appease the big boys in other countries, and to justify their own existence. Next they will be clamping down on knockoff handbags and shoes. Never mind the 'genuine' Rolex watches. Are they trying to also pretend their poo doesn't smell and they don't sh*t in their own nest??

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

Would you like to expand on that as copying is a crime under many headings:

Plagiarism

Copyright 

Patents

Intellectual Property

Many more......

It is illegal to copy movies, music, software, another person's writing, etc etc etc

HH - we all know !! that you are terribly clever that is: you may go now and download some illicit movies ????

5 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

i have upgraded 3 desktop computers from win 7 to win 10.  all three went flawlessly and painlessly. 

Hahaha and now Microsoft is spying on you. Bad move mate. What a heap of junk that win 10 is - no wonder they gave it away.

8 hours ago, dimitriv said:

It really depends on your definition of crime. In most countries copying software is not part of criminal law but civil law. That means that police will not get involved. And if they want to do anything about you copying software they will have to hire a lawyer and go to a civil court.

So I am a little bit surprised that police in Thailand is going to spend time on this.

I take your point and it does vary from country to country.  It often depends under what law they use to prosecute.  Counterfeiting, for example, is criminal. 

Software for Thailand, my company is developing is already on over 850 websites available. We get about 100 demands per day for new licenses requests. Only the one's that directly bought from us can get a license after paying their yearly fee of a minimum of 2,000 THB. Thai even bought our software for a multiple factor of that. But the license didn't work after installing so they contact us. We exactly know where our software is offered and for what price. In the last 8 years Thailand didn't do anything about it, nor they will do now !!! 

Only words, no deeds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are many wau to get legally cheap licenses of the OS you need.

Like recently bought OS 10 Pro for just 800 thb from a site and was activated with a guine key.

For companies their is also no excuse anymore since the new office suite also includes the Win OS and you pay it on montlhy installment. For about 3000 th per year including mailserver

If you not want the opens ourse offers good alternative for both the OS and applications.

When you use google docs then you are open and google can read all documents including all confidentials as recently was on the news.

So actually there is for a conoany no reason not to comply to the law in this and have genuine software and the goverment/hospitals/police/immigration and so on themselfs have also to comply to this too.

On 10/17/2019 at 12:26 PM, bangkokequity said:

I love my 8 year olSUS / Windows 7.  BTW, the reason you can not go to Windows 10 has nothing to do with Windows 7, our older computers would CRAWL with Windows 10 installed.  Keep enjoying your fast, reliable Windows 7 machine, and to protect it ... get AVAST anti-virus on there to catch malware.

Not true! I have a Dell notebook with 4gb memory, i3 processor... Inspiron N4010. I have been running Windows 10 since the day it was released! Only issue have been when the likes of Broadcomm stopped supplying BT  drivers to Dell or Vice/Versa! This is an effort by the major players to push i7 and i9 Intel Processors.I had found a way around this limited issue!! A Computer/Phone Company that starts with "L" had the drivers....

My system is as fast or at times 3x's faster then it was with Windows 7!! Issue is "Drivers" and who wants to keep supplying them. NOT THE O.S.!!! Computer Manufacturers make no money by continually supplying Drivers!! The do by telling you you need a New Computer!!

On 10/17/2019 at 2:01 AM, miamiman123 said:

What who where is BSA?

It's an entity that copied its name from Birmingham Small Arms Company. 

Mostly famous for their wonderful motorcycles. 

Damn.. Now I got off topic. ????

I've worked at five schools. Only one used liscened software. 

In Fortune Town yesterday business as usual lol

Never bought Windows until 10 (from W 3.1.1). Fairly inferior product Windows 2000, XP and 7 aside. Some were real disasters. Even now in 10 the search function does not work correctly. 

On 10/16/2019 at 11:00 AM, quandow said:

Went to Panthip some time ago, tried to buy a legal copy of windows. Hahahahaha!!

(Yes, I've learned how to get a real copy since)

Went to IT-Square, asked for a licenced copy. Paid for a licenced copy - got a fake.
So do those guys know where they should start their investigations ? Don't think so ...

Archived