BANGKOK
webfact

Effort to clamp down on illegal software launched

I'd like to know if the local cable companies like the ones in Pattaya actually have paid to run recent movies on their cable systems. Sometimes I have stayed at hotels and there were movies just out that were running on their cable. Something odd about it.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Would you like to expand on that as copying is a crime under many headings:

Plagiarism

Copyright 

Patents

Intellectual Property

Many more......

It is illegal to copy movies, music, software, another person's writing, etc etc etc

It really depends on your definition of crime. In most countries copying software is not part of criminal law but civil law. That means that police will not get involved. And if they want to do anything about you copying software they will have to hire a lawyer and go to a civil court.

So I am a little bit surprised that police in Thailand is going to spend time on this.

Like many stories here, this is only as good as the ways its reported.

BSA, Is actually BSA /AML.

Bank secrecy act.

Anti money laundering. 

Acronyms used widely, in global finance industries. 

I think what they are trying to say is IT Audit for all companies and businesses to ensure licensed software is used.

Ultimately the anti money laundering will come into play here somewhere...

BSA Global Software Alliance is a group representing the major I.T. industries worldwide. 

And obviously protecting its business and profits. 

Edited by dallen52

40 minutes ago, rossco1 said:

or maybe just leave people alone and get on with trying to get the country free of government 

fingers in every pie 

could anyone tell me when new law about use of toilet rolls come into affect 

on how many squares you can use 

If you are still use toilet roll you're doing it wrong 😉

Edited by Tayaout

3 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

What who where is BSA?

they want you to buy from them at a premium price?

ha! 

It's a global alliance representing the major players, who obviously want people to buy licenses for their software. 

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

My computer is over 10 years old, when I bought it it had windows 7 installed, I asked if it was genuine and received the reply, "we don't do that sort of thing" as if it was reprehensible.

To get windows 10 I've been told it shouldn't be installed on my computer which is running on windows 7 I will have to buy a new computer.

i have upgraded 3 desktop computers from win 7 to win 10.  all three went flawlessly and painlessly. 

28 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

some smaller companies wouldn't be able to operate if they where forced into buying legit software (and they weren't aware of alternative freeware)

Am using OpenOffice for ten  years plus, never had issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's an interesting fact, I think, that Bill Gates (richest man in the world still?) and his Microsoft empire manage it with selling maybe less than 50% of their products at the official price.

I myself have been using Windows and Microsoft Office Suite and never in 25 years bought any of it at the retail price.

With all the pirated movie discs and movie downloads still easily obtainable and not even close to being stamped out, I can’t see pirate software usage controlled here or in any other country ‘especially Asia’ anytime soon

Microsoft and Paterson ripped 'DOS' off Gary Kildall anyway

Edited by Orton Rd

36 minutes ago, KKr said:

Am using OpenOffice for ten  years plus, never had issues.

I've bought plenty of genuine licenses from Europe for 200 to 250 baht each in ebay, same goes for W 10 Pro licenses and others. Totally legal. 

Yyyyyaaaahhhhhhwwwwwwnnnnnn! 

Next please, how can you even publish such stuff if you see departure/arrival screens at Swampy. Wondering how many official licenses are in all those CPUs, terminals and displays 

20 hours ago, quandow said:

Went to Panthip some time ago, tried to buy a legal copy of windows. Hahahahaha!!

(Yes, I've learned how to get a real copy since)

Not that difficult surely?

JIB, Banana IT, IT City, they are selling genuine windows software.

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

My computer is over 10 years old, when I bought it it had windows 7 installed, I asked if it was genuine and received the reply, "we don't do that sort of thing" as if it was reprehensible.

To get windows 10 I've been told it shouldn't be installed on my computer which is running on windows 7 I will have to buy a new computer.

I love my 8 year old ASUS / Windows 7.  BTW, the reason you can not go to Windows 10 has nothing to do with Windows 7, our older computers would CRAWL with Windows 10 installed.  Keep enjoying your fast, reliable Windows 7 machine, and to protect it ... get AVAST anti-virus on there to catch malware.

• Like 1