BANGKOK
webfact

Effort to clamp down on illegal software launched

I went to the government hospital yesterday. During the last flooding 2 years ago they, a lot of equipment was damaged. After that, they installed a new hospital computer system and new workstations on almost every nurses desk. And what do those workstations run? Windows XP!!! All you need to activate WIndows XP forever, is a volume license key. Windows does not verify it with the local DC, just runs.

I just wonder what runs the server? Windows NT? 

So that would mean that the whole country would shut down after Christmas?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, seajae said:

cant say I have ever seen a real copy of much software in Thailand, even when you get a new computer it is loaded with pirated software, all the computers in businesses/govt departments run pirate copies. Maybe if the govt departments used genuine software they wouldnt need to do everything with multiple paper copies and could do it on computers instead, easier and simpler as well as a lot quicker but that is probably being too hopeful

Depends where you buy. Our laptops and desk top all have genuine licensed software. Costs more of course. 

IME when you buy a new computer they ask you if you want genuine or not and quote the two prices. You pays your money and makes your choice.

I always go for the genuine. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Perhaps they should check their own software while they're at it.....

… and to not forget the hardware ….

Why bother with all the Windows BS, when one can get Linux and Ubuntu free? Completely legal, and much less vulnerable to viruses etc.

• Like 2

Since Win 10 is free if you don't activate it (and activating it gives you very little in the way of additional goodies), why would anyone in their right mind ever pay for it?

8 hours ago, Rimbuman said:

What a clowns again, just making smokescreens to pretend that they actually do something for their fat pay checks.

Can't agree more. Gotta play the game to appease the big boys in other countries, and to justify their own existence. Next they will be clamping down on knockoff handbags and shoes. Never mind the 'genuine' Rolex watches. Are they trying to also pretend their poo doesn't smell and they don't sh*t in their own nest??

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

Would you like to expand on that as copying is a crime under many headings:

Plagiarism

Copyright 

Patents

Intellectual Property

Many more......

It is illegal to copy movies, music, software, another person's writing, etc etc etc

HH - we all know !! that you are terribly clever that is: you may go now and download some illicit movies 🙂

5 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

i have upgraded 3 desktop computers from win 7 to win 10.  all three went flawlessly and painlessly. 

Hahaha and now Microsoft is spying on you. Bad move mate. What a heap of junk that win 10 is - no wonder they gave it away.

• Like 1

I vaguely remember software will enter to free for all museum state after 25 years. Which means the Windows 95's they are running should be all good next year.

8 hours ago, dimitriv said:

It really depends on your definition of crime. In most countries copying software is not part of criminal law but civil law. That means that police will not get involved. And if they want to do anything about you copying software they will have to hire a lawyer and go to a civil court.

So I am a little bit surprised that police in Thailand is going to spend time on this.

I take your point and it does vary from country to country.  It often depends under what law they use to prosecute.  Counterfeiting, for example, is criminal. 

Pay for software here? They might...just might persuade them to pay once, but the way these companies and developers are pushing the subscription model, I don't think they have a hope in hell.

2 hours ago, Melbun said:

HH - we all know !! that you are terribly clever that is: you may go now and download some illicit movies 🙂

Yeh, I have around 5,000 of them to date.  Shhhhh!

Software for Thailand, my company is developing is already on over 850 websites available. We get about 100 demands per day for new licenses requests. Only the one's that directly bought from us can get a license after paying their yearly fee of a minimum of 2,000 THB. Thai even bought our software for a multiple factor of that. But the license didn't work after installing so they contact us. We exactly know where our software is offered and for what price. In the last 8 years Thailand didn't do anything about it, nor they will do now !!! 

Only words, no deeds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1