SETV Vientiane

I work in Thailand but my boyfriend does not have a bachelors degree so he stays with me while working online(not for any Thai company so not illegal) using tourist visas. He currently has 2 visa exempt entries (one from his home country and one from Cambodia both extended) and one SETV from savannahket(also extended 1 month). Will he have any trouble obtaining a SETV in Vientiane tomorrow? We have been in Laos travelling for a week now so it is not a back to back visa technically. He also has a bank statement with over 20,000 baht inside and we may buy a air ticket back to the UK which can be cancelled within 24 hours of purchase as well as additional proof that he isn’t working illegally in Thailand. Thanks for the help!

10 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

Probably worth pointing out that you shouldn't mention this to immigration officials as you're mistaken on this.

You’re not legally allowed to work freelance for overseas companies? I thought that was totally fine but no he will not mention that and yes he has an appointment. Thanks for the info

2 minutes ago, Goo61 said:

You’re not legally allowed to work freelance for overseas companies?

From my understanding, you're not technically allowed to do any kind of work whatsoever on a tourist visa. Plenty of people do it and it's not an issue unless they broadcast it at the wrong time and place. 'He's on holiday visiting you as you're working here and he's currently unemployed' is all they need to know if asked. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

From my understanding, you're not technically allowed to do any kind of work whatsoever on a tourist visa. Plenty of people do it and it's not an issue unless they broadcast it at the wrong time and place. 'He's on holiday visiting you as you're working here and he's currently unemployed' is all they need to know if asked. 

Awesome thanks so much! And if denied he can just re-enter on visa exempt and we’ll make further plans from there I suppose 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goo61 said:

You’re not legally allowed to work freelance for overseas companies? I thought that was totally fine but no he will not mention that and yes he has an appointment. Thanks for the info

According to the letter of the law, it is not truly legal. However, it has historically been, and is now, definitely tolerated. I believe the authorities have taken the pragmatic view:

1. They do not want to punish anyone for keeping in touch with their overseas place of work while on holiday here in Thailand.
  2. If you decide not to punish those doing a little work while on holiday, where do you draw the line? Since digital nomads are doing Thailand no harm (in fact they are positive for the economy) it is best just to ignore it.
  3. There is no practical way under the current regulations where someone doing online work can get a work permit and become technically legal.

So in the end, when we went back the next day to pick up his passport they asked for a return flight to his home country (uk) and for A copy of my work permit and visa, so definitely getting stricter in Vientiane! Hopefully won’t have any issues crossing the land border at the friendship bridge tomorrow!

On 10/16/2019 at 5:10 PM, Goo61 said:

Since has appointment then have to roll dice. One small advice .,.IMHO never mention what your doing in los other than tourism. Zero comment about digital nomad etc. Not comment visit gf nothing. Your hear for tourism. Have 20k baht. Hotel booking won't hurt. 

If all fails enter visa exempt.