Chiang Mai immigration demanding insurance for extensions

Just now, deej said:

Same 

Let.s see it in Writing  Officially

instead of wildly firing shots at No Target

Your confidence in seeing "official writing" amuses me.

Remember the "official writing" saying combo applications without embassy letters are still supported? That was very official. 
But in real life they often are not accepted. 

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
So people shouldn't be warned as early as possible that at least there MIGHT be a problem? I prefer as much transparency as possible. 

no excuse for scaremongering about the O and it's not even mentioned

It's OK with me if you feel that way. Let me explain the reason I think it's relevant here. As I said this news from CM mirrors what the Integrity Legal video guy has been saying. So bingo number one on that point. But he has ALSO been saying that when Thai immigration speaks of retirement extensions of O-A their internal logic means they are including O as well. So in my view given it's looking like he is right on point one is that people should consider also that he MIGHT also be correct on point two. 

Remember Thai immigration officers have different FILTERS than we do. Their filters  are based on the Thai language and Thai immigration perception of things. As I've said before there has never before been any distinction at Thai immigration offices between retirement extensions based on O and O-A. The Integrity Legal guy thinks the O-A extension is just internal code for all retirement extensions. Yes maybe he's probably wrong in this new case but I wouldn't bet the house on that. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Here is what Assist Thai Visa has posted on their Facebook page...

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 3.47.09 AM.jpg

"This is currently..."   Writing's on the wall good people, the party's nearly over and the fat lady's getting ready to sing. Time for another trip to Cambodia?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Once you enter the extension system in Thailand, it never makes one bit of difference. Is he right about that? I don't know. The party line here is that he is wrong. All I know at this point is UNCERTAINTY.

If they create two classes fo extension (one based on O and another O-A), what prevents a person from changing to O class by leaving the country and entering on visa exempt and then changing to O class extensions subsequently? 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

I fail to see why an 'extension based on retirement' which can be a extending a non imm O, rather than a non imm O-A, is now processed according to non O-A rules, or why those rules are being forced when all information said it was only when the visa was issued outside the kingdom, but thats how its apparently being done. 

Are you saying the CM Immigration people are saying they plan to apply the insurance requirement to ALL retirement extensions from Oct. 31 onward, or ONLY retirement extensions from Oct. 31 onward that date back to original O-A visas?

If this turns out to be the case that insurance is required for immigration office extensions for base visas O-A and not for base visas O (which BTW are often obtained outside of Thailand but can be done in Thailand unlike O-A) then I think this will be the very first time that Thai immigration offices have ever made any distinctions between O and O-A based retirement extensions. Good news for those with base O visas, bad news for those with O-A base visas. So from that history of no distinction made ever in the past this will definitely be an outlier. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, onera1961 said:

If they create two classes fo extension (one based on O and another O-A), what prevents a person from changing to O class by leaving the country and entering on visa exempt and then changing to O class extensions subsequently? 

Or even changing class.. 

If you change from a marriage based extension to a retirement based extension.. Which retirement extension do you get ?? 

This is why there is logic in treating ALL retirement as one standard. Its incredibly messy to do it any other way. Best of course is not at all for extensions, as everyone said it would be. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

bad news for those with O-A base visas.

Get out of Thailand. Get a tourist visa (or visa exempt). Enter Thailand with a Tourist Visa (or visa exempt) and then convert to Non-O and extension eventually. Problem solved if they really want to create two classess based on Non-O and Non O-A

4 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Nothing unless immigration creates new roadblocks to doing that.  

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Are you saying the CM Immigration people are saying they plan to apply the insurance requirement to ALL retirement extensions from Oct. 31 onward, or ONLY retirement extensions from Oct. 31 onward that date back to original O-A visas?

This is where Star visa and Assist visa differ.. But I think its fair to say at this stage no one can be sure. 

I think its an incorrect implementation, and not how it was said it would be. I am just reporting what is being said on the ground and by agents. 

• Haha 2

Just now, onera1961 said:

Get out of Thailand. Get a tourist visa (or visa exempt). Enter Thailand with a Tourist Visa (or visa exempt) and then convert to Non-O and extension eventually. Problem solved if they really want to create two classess based on Non-O and Non O-A

For now OK unless this distinction people are so confident about between O and OA turns out sooner or later to be no distinction at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you look at it objectively, they want people who live here to have health insurance. Then it shouldn't matter if it is a visa or extension.

I, like many here have insurance. And a good one with zillions of Baht cover. But I do not have 40,000 Baht IPD so I would not pass. Luckily I extended from a Non O so I do not think it will affect me.

• Haha 1

Just now, LivinLOS said:

This is where Star visa and Assist visa differ.. But I think its fair to say at this stage no one can be sure. 

I think its an incorrect implementation, and not how it was said it would be. I am just reporting what is being said on the ground and by agents. 

What I was trying to ask was, what version was your acquaintance giving based on his visit to CM Immigration and hearing their remarks -- not what the various visa agencies are saying.

Just now, onera1961 said:

that is why I think there is a large risk in assuming that extensions based on retirement are not thought of as O-A. 

So many other classes convert to retirement, do we really think they will only apply it to one narrow situation. 

This is the insurance that everyone said wouldnt apply to extensions at all remember ?!?! 

8 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Here is what Assist Thai Visa has posted on their Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/assist.thai/

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 3.47.09 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 3.57.27 AM.jpg

Now a Cmai Visa Agent LOL

Who.s Next 

Btw i was at Cmai Imm  gr Dept today between 1.15  pm to 1.45 pm

Whilst. my Land Lady was updating my TM 30.

Saw no notices of any description relating to the Bunkum being served up on this Topic/ Thread

Relax members and visitors 

until its a official Immgr Dept order. in Black and White ( writing so to speak)

• Like 2

Pacific Cross is 70K for the 70 to 75 year age group, Viriyah charges 94k for the same group. It's not until age 76 that rates go into six digits, after which they climb pretty quickly. BUT perhaps another way to look at this is, 70K baht is only 1,850 Pounds per year, not a princely sum for a years health insurance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

So, gosh good luck to the over 70's who want to stay here.

How to get insurance then?

The agents will have a field day at much more expensive prices.

The insurance is there.. its just bad value / expensive. 

But the older folks, on a tight budget, maybe been here decades with few options ?? 

Hopefully it will be a narrow implementation but I am not betting my retirement on it. 

• Like 1