Chiang Mai immigration demanding insurance for extensions

6 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Is there not dirt cheap insurance in Thailand, if one gets the minimums? 

this is a special policy created for only this group.. because its only for a group of over 50s, the pool they can operate from to spread risk are all higher risk, so its going to be expensive. Just logic. 

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Problem is it's 150k+ a year, and the things you are likely to claim will be excluded, so better to save that 150k+ a year and use it on those pre existing conditions hospital bills

Your thinking and justification is in line with most I know here.

"I can self insure".

Whatever you think.

Have a heart attack or get in a major motorbike accident or whatever that 150 is peanuts.

Can wipe you out.

But, each person has to make their own decision.

Something that may be positive on this is people may decide to live a more healthy lifestyle.

Maybe drink less and take less risks.  

Anyway, we will see.

Insurance for all I believe is coming, why would it not.

4 minutes ago, saengd said:

Pacific Cross is 70K for the 70 to 75 year age group, Viriyah charges 94k for the same group. It's not until age 76 that rates go into six digits, after which they climb pretty quickly. BUT perhaps another way to look at this is, 70K baht is only 1,850 Pounds per year, not a princely sum for a years health insurance.

This assumes the coverage is acceptable to immigration (400k/40k)... Assumes they will underwrite a 70+ individuals...And assumes the 70+ individuals have no preexisting conditions... :coffee1:

21 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

This assumes the coverage is acceptable to immigration (400k/40k)... Assumes they will underwrite a 70+ individuals...And assumes the 70+ individuals have no preexisting conditions... :coffee1:

Viriyah is quoting premiums for their Long Stay Visa product up to age 100 years.

1 minute ago, Agusts said:

Is Chiang Mai in a different country than other IM offices...!? Why would various offices have different rules,  I don't get this at all, aren't immigration rules decided at central government and ALL offices are supposed to follow it...!?

Perhaps somone post or relay what CM office requesting to central office and tell them what an out of control system they running where they can't even harmonize rules across their own network....! 

It has always been this way, CM Immi. always does things first for some reason and the rest of Thailand follows. 

5 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Is Chiang Mai in a different country than other IM offices...!? Why would various offices have different rules,  I don't get this at all, aren't immigration rules decided at central government and ALL offices are supposed to follow it...!?

Perhaps somone post or relay what CM office requesting to central office and tell them what an out of control system they running where they can't even harmonize rules across their own network....! 

All bunkum at this point of time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

Except that the rest of Thailand doesn't follow. I've still never filed a TM30.

Neither have I for 4 years.. and I live in CNX.. ????

You can choose which rules to follow and which to find an alternative solution.. Thai style.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Gone are the days when I was young and so horny I was willing to do visa runs of this nature. If this shambles is the best Thai Immigration can do then I can see many leaving.

This was not MY quote , I only replied on THAT quote 

See

2019-10-16_192911.png

Edited by david555

3 minutes ago, saengd said:

The need to show a copy of your lease/proof of address when extending the retirement visa was one, nobody believed it was required until eventually everyone elsewhere had to do the same. TM30 implementation was also initiated in CM many many months before the rest of the country, people elsewhere wouldn't believe there was even such a thing as TM30 until it eventually spread. The certificate of Residency was also a first, CM was charging 300/500 for it and was eventually told to stop, their workaround was to offer it free with a wait of ten days or for a fee, available the same day and many districts copied this model.

I don't need to show a copy of proof of address when extending. As I've already said I've never had to file a TM30. My IO still charges 300 baht for a certificate of residency, no workarounds.

45 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Why not indeed?... Cuz this is Thailand, where they could not even organise a pi$$ up in a brewery. Fear not lads, one of the advantages of Thailand is you can almost invariably buy your way out of trouble. As long as you have money there will likely be a way you can stay. All else is smoke and mirrors.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I don't need to show a copy of proof of address when extending. As I've already said I've never had to file a TM30. My IO still charges 300 baht for a certificate of residency, no workarounds.

Perhaps you're different!