UK border risks snarl up in no-deal Brexit - audit office

snoop1130

You really couldn't make this up.........The courts are considering tomorrow the legality of the JRM amendment and whether this needs to be repealed before the any WA can be put to Parliament. 

“This clause (Section 55, or shall we call it the Rees-Mogg backstop) is legally based on the GATT definition of a “customs territory”. It can’t therefore be invalidated merely by the Govt deeming that under their Brexit Deal, Northern Ireland isn’t really in the EU Customs Union” he tweeted.

“We do not understand how the Government might have come to negotiate a Withdrawal Agreement in terms that breach amendments tabled by its own European Research Group.”

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-deal-faces-late-legal-challenge-as-it-breaks-legislation-from-jacob-rees-mogg/16/10/

19 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Project fear at its finest, . Anyone heard of Immingham , a port on the East Coast of the UK. One of the biggest and busiest in Europe, It can cope with double the capacity its handling now, There are more ports then Dover, believe it or not.

There is Harwich, Folkstone, Portsmouth, Southampton, Poole, Plymouth all available as well. These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Could you provide the citation for that quote please?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9717347/no-deal-brexit-chaos-calais-boss/

But they will find it harder to ignore Jean-Marc Puissesseau, President of the combined ports of Calais and Boulogne.

He has a very simple way to describe the continued efforts of Remainers to try to predict disaster: “C’est la bulls**t.” As he put it perfectly: “There are certain individuals in the UK who are whipping up this catastrophism for their own reasons.”

Happy now?

That took me all of 2 minutes to find on Google search.

It's basically May's WA with amendments that breach JRM's previous amendments to scupper that one. Total effin farce. And one that the DUP won't accept. Die in a ditch he must. In the name of God go !

Even before any agreement, the EU won't let us have our fishing rights in a future trade deal. Now that really would be a surrender Mr Johnson
H2zASb8g?format=jpg&name=900x900

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

There is Harwich, Folkstone, Portsmouth, Southampton, Poole, Plymouth all available as well. These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Remainer walks into an off license and says can you  recommend a good port,shop assistant says yeah dover,naff off.

Don't forget that prior to 1993 there were customs checks within the EU.  Remember Customs Carnets?  In the late 80's I had to drive a lot between UK and Germany, carrying scientific equipment for test work. Customs were a real pain in the backside and often delayed us.  One time a customs officer in Dover wouldn't let us through because he said there was a typing error on the form. BS of course. Had to slip him £10 to get through. Had another one try the same trick and we refused to pay but he held us up for several hours. Those guys were making a fortune back then.

9 hours ago, puipuitom said:

The Port of Immingham, also known as Immingham Docks, is a major east coast port, located on the south bank of the Humber Estuary west of Grimsby, near the town of Immingham. In 2012, the Port of Immingham was the largest port in the United Kingdom by tonnage with 60 million tonnes of cargo passing through that year.[1]  With its Oil TerminalBulk Terminal for coal export and iron ore import; the Immingham Gas Jetty (1985) for LPG import; and the Humber International Terminal (2000, expanded 2006) for bulk cargos. Immingham Outer Harbour Roll-on/Roll-off terminals

So, BY FAR NOT sufficient for all incoming and outgoing lorries with merchandise. Not important to be the port with the highest flow of all goods, but that of goods so hard needed as consumer- and Industrial components goods.

Immingham has 5/6 Roll on roll of boats every day, bigger than the boats that cross the channel,  and getting bigger.

Immingham has 5/6 Roll on roll of boats every day, bigger than the boats that cross the channel,  and getting bigger.

They would still have the same documentation problems at Immingham as they would at channel ports so it is just moving the congestion elsewhere though, to be fair, there is a lot more room up there.

Also Immingham just does not have the available capacity that there is across the channel - Dover alone does more than three times to volume on RoRo than Immingham and that is before you add in the Tunnel crossings.

The crossing itself is much longer as overnight into Rotterdam against 90 minutes on the DFDS freight ferry out of Dover or the 45 mins on Eurotunnel (deliberately slowed down so that drivers get their 45 minute break and bacon roll in the drivers wagon).

Costs wise it is more than double on the immingham route which would also have a significant knock on effect for transport prices.

Don’t get me wrong, Immingham is a nice route and suits a purpose. We used to use it regularly when schedules allowed as well as the other crossings and the drivers preferred it since they got an overnight cabin and decent food but it is not really a viable solution to the current potential problems.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived