6 months of the year in Thailand?

I am considering spending 6 months per year in Thailand, and 6 months per year in the Phils. I think the Phils will be easy visa-wise. How about Thailand? 

1. I guess I'll need to apply for a 2 entry tourist visa there, each good for 60 + 30 days?
  2. This will create 2 land border crossings (at Chanthaburi), 1 entry and 1 exit by air (Phils to Thailand flight and reverse). Is this considered "a lot" of entries and exits, or a safe amount?

1. Two entry tourist visas no longer exist. You can only get single entry visas since the multiple entry visa availability started in 2015.

2. You should be able to do it. But you will have to add a trip to get another single entry visa.

• Like 1

To avoid the perception that you are 'living in Thailand';

You could do 3 months Thailand, 3 months Philippines, 3 months Thailand, 3 month Philippines.

Also, since Thailand seems to have an "off the books rule" of a 180 day limit on tourist visas per year, maybe make your Thai time only 2.6 months each stay.

Lastly, the Philippines should be easy for US citizen.

Edited by La Migra
  • Like 1

I guess I will throw out the idea of moving everything in and out of storage then. The place(s) will have to stay rented and vacant or else create an all day chore every 90 days.

The other thing is the internet. Right now I have True. I wonder how suspending and restarting service would work, especially with a rented modem.

• Haha 1

How about only renting places that are fully furnished and provide internet service.  Or like me, use your mobile phone as your wireless hotspot--every mobile has this capability (at least ones purchased within the last 4 years, and yes, 4G is up to the task of streaming video.  With a Laptop or Roku, Firestick, Chromecast, micro Intel stick or NUC computer that plugs directly into a HDMI slot on a LED/Big Screen TV, you're good to go.

The immigration question is a bit different from the "what do I do with my stuff" question.

Even if you were to spend 6 straight months in one place and then the other - you still have to store or move your stuff. Which to me begs the question, how much stuff are you keeping in each country?

11 hours ago, mosan said:

How about only renting places that are fully furnished and provide internet service. 

This sounds like some good advice.

Also, I may be projecting my own angst on you, as I am going through everything I own and deciding what to toss or donate.

The big stuff are: 

- bedroom rack (printer, laundry, sheets), 

- mattress topper

- weight area floor

- weights, bench, dip bars, barbell

- kitchen rack with appliances, boards 

- kitchen rack, appliances, boards

- portable AC with window cutout

If I have to move every 3 months and reposition all of this, it means killing 8 days a year to move this stuff around.

The alternative is to either rent 2 places, or buy the Elite visa. The Elite suddenly looks more economical.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

The big stuff are: 

- mattress topper

- weight area floor

If I have to move every 3 months and reposition all of this, it means killing 8 days a year to move this stuff around.

The alternative is to either rent 2 places, or buy the Elite visa. The Elite suddenly looks more economical.

Is that a remotely serious post or wind up. I like dry humor. Is that an attempt. I like the kitchen rack reference in Thai visa forum. I have a mattress topper. They are a must have 

The big stuff are: 

- mattress topper

- weight area floor

Does the Elite visa allow you to store your stuff with them?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If I went with the Elite I would ditch the 2nd base and stay in Thailand. It looks to break even against having to maintain 2 places, flights. And of course no unpacking on both sides.