BANGKOK
snoop1130

Salty foods could face tax – but not your crisps

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Why not?

They need to fatten up the population.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Snacks exempted ?!!!  Right🥴........Well, we all know high dosage of chips, popcorn and other processed snacks are good for the health after all 🤑

Yes, the MSG, sugar, salt and myriad other chemical additives are all in there to boost your health and wellbeing. 😎 Any attempt to lower their concentration in your favourite snack would knock years off your life for sure. 🤤 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Ban Salt, Ban Sugar, Ban Smoking, Ban Alcohol, Ban Cars, Ban Sex Ban Ban Ban how about Ban busy body bureaucrats... 

Who said anything about banning any of these things. well except you wanting to ban "Busy Body Bureaucrats" 

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Ban Salt, Ban Sugar, Ban Smoking, Ban Alcohol, Ban Cars, Ban Sex Ban Ban Ban how about Ban busy body bureaucrats... 

It's often said that many expats left their home country to escape "Nanny State-lifestyle".

And now, what is Thailand becoming ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im all for banning MSG even when you ask them not to use it, they still do and I can say it in Thai

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The World Health Organisation and United Nations have recommended taxes on foods with high salt content, noting that too much sodium in the diet can lead to kidney and heart disease, cancer and high blood pressure.

Wait till they get to the multi-time fried chicken and bananas Thais seems to have for breakfast most day. 

• Like 1

I just put a pince of salt in every beer. That keeps my sodium level in balance.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, neeray said:

It's often said that many expats left their home country to escape "Nanny State-lifestyle".

And now, what is Thailand becoming ?

Paranoid schizoids!

anyone ever read on this site what fish sauce, oyster sauce and other thai typical <deleted> junk is ?

msg, salt, sugar

3 hours ago, justin case said:

anyone ever read on this site what fish sauce, oyster sauce and other thai typical <deleted> junk is ?

msg, salt, sugar

They use those to get umami, savory and sweet tastes, in addition there are sour, bitter and astringent (it's the sour taste some candies have that makes you pucker up, acidic) and spicy.

https://www.scienceofcooking.com/about_taste.htm

And they use them in proportions that utterly destroy any finer flavor by covering it up. It's a hallmark of lousy ingredients and bad cook.

Edited by DrTuner

I think this government is developing a bit of tax addiction.

Must need another submarine.

9 hours ago, Tayaout said:

It's almost impossible to eat too much salt. However I only eat sea salt, Celtic salt and pink salt. Not sure about table salt but it's probably not healthy since it has chemicals additive. 

I think it was the combination of fatty foods and extremely salty dishes that did people in. Athletic lifestyle offsets and often needs other nutrients, rather than the country lifestyle they had in Karelia at the time. In any case, I do remember how my mom's cooking changed after people were made aware. Got a lot better.

I'm more concerned about the taste of things than how healthy they are, to be honest. I like salty snacks but not salty mains.

9 hours ago, Tayaout said:

It's almost impossible to eat too much salt. However I only eat sea salt, Celtic salt and pink salt. Not sure about table salt but it's probably not healthy since it has chemicals additive. 

Is NaCl not NaCl?

Edited by wgdanson
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Is NaCl not NaCl?

Wherever it comes from, sea, Himalayas, Celtic, Chinese, Thai.....it's all the same.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Wherever it comes from, sea, Himalayas, Celtic, Chinese, Thai.....it's all the same.

Table salt is refined, has anti caking agent and usually iode too. The other salt I mentioned doesn't have anything added and contains trace minerals. But yeah NaCl is salt like H2O is water wether it comes from bottled water or the sewer. 😉

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1