Overstay and no cash advice needed.

1 hour ago, esposa said:

He didn't have a return ticket so he messed that up too.

Amazing he got lucky and was able to get past the airline in England and then immigration here with a one way ticket. Anyway, your doing good and this kid will owe you a favor or two in the end. If 800 GBP is a lot for the mom to borrow, then it will be a burden for her to pay back as well. Probably living paycheck to paycheck. 

Good luck!

Very hard for an ethnic Chinese like me to understand why the mother would seek help from a friend for such a small amount of money. I can tell you that most of us would be able to get help from relatives quite easily if we open our mouths to ask. Although times have changed, we Chinese still believe in maintaining strong family values.

You probably know as well as I do that the Western culture is much more “self centred” than the Asian culture. I don’t think the phrase “charity begins at home” originated from Asia.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys, I do not know the situation in detail but given that he is on a overstay I would assume his return ticket already expired long ago.

But maybe he did not have one. Or rented an onward ticket. Or traveled hand luggage only - in Europe they will let me skip check-in doing that, so no return ticket check. Here it does not work in SEA - Immigration wants a printed / cardboard boarding pass.

One of you made a good comment, one should not be here so far away from home without some savings etc.

Nevertheless there seems no nice way out of it unless you save up the money and hope he does not get caught until then.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cerox said:

I know of other countries in Europe who will borrow the money for coming back, after that they seize your passport and you will not get a new one until the debt is paid.

Thailand used to pay your fare to get you back to Thailand and then keep your passport until you have paid it back, not sure if they still do

Yes, that is what I heard about Germany too, they will seize your passport after that so you wont get out of the EU before you pay the debt back. Might be different for the UK though, so the embassy should be asked. Explain it as it is that nobody has the money - at least he has a chance to work back home for a future.

8 minutes ago, cerox said:

Yes, that is what I heard about Germany too, they will seize your passport after that so you wont get out of the EU before you pay the debt back. Might be different for the UK though, so the embassy should be asked. Explain it as it is that nobody has the money - at least he has a chance to work back home for a future.

The UK used to do it I did it for a friend of mine albeit a long time ago, I arrived home from work late one night and there was a letter from the Foreign office asking would I pay for the flight, not sure now

15 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

I just don't get this overstay business,I've spend many years in Thailand 

and always followed the law, I did a boarder runs every 90 days.

I am not sure if we had 90 day reporting at that time, maybe we did and

I wasn't aware of it. I traveled 17 hours by train form Ratchaburi to 

Penang which was the closest boarder I guess, so why can't other visa

holders do the same? What is so hard about it? No matter what visa you

on follow the rules,and no I am not a Thai apologist, I hated many things 

in Thailand and that's why I left. But I always followed the rules.

Alot of deadbeats come to Thailand or sometime caught out by sickness or acident and wind up on overstay. This kid sounds like a deadbeat, just the kind Thailand has been very busy cracking down on th rules to flush out

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Given that, is it possible he has made up the whole story and really wants the money for something else (like drugs)?

One advantage to working through the British Embassy is that, while they will not provide money, they will be able to verify his situation and actual needs. I find it very suspicious that he refuses to contact them.

He said the cops are looking at him for theft so the brainiac probably figures the embassy isn't his best path because of them possibly knowing he's wanted at home. For all we know they might have notified the Thais to ask their assistance in picking him up. If he stole the money to get here it may turn out to his worst decision made to date.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, esposa said:

Life happens my husband almost died in a car crash so finances are tight. Like I said while I want to support my friend, I'm not prepared to get into debt to do so. 

Had he not burnt a lot of bridges in the UK there would be others that would help him, he can't go back and unburn those bridges now though.

"As it stands with the new information there's nothing she can do because he's refusing to get advice from the British embassy"

That's from one of your posts and i really appreciate that you're trying to help a friend, even when this guy doesn't seem to deserve any help.

I do not understand why anybody would refuse advice coming from his embassy?

Is there a particular reason for, or is the brat just an uneducated guy who doesn't listen to anybody?

You shouldn't waste too much time for this guy and perhaps it's a good idea when he's got to stay in  avery hot cell for a while eating a bit of rice for a while.

You don't even know if he told you the truth, he might have other ideas what to do with money, who knows? Obviously only this guy who doesn't even have one friend who'd help him out with a small amount of money.

Please try to talk to your friend that her son might need this lesson to grow up. If it's to easy for him, he'll do similar mistakes again.

I've never heard that people get raped, or killed when waiting for deportation. It might be a good way for him to grow up. He didn't give a flying kangaroo about his friends or his mom before.

He doesn't seem to have character to me. Let him suffer and grow up. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I do not understand why anybody would refuse advice coming from his embassy?

The UK Embassy sometimes gives awful advice, but he needs to contact them anyway if he expects to receive money from friends or relatives. One service the embassy will provide is taking custody of the money to ensure it is used for the stated purpose.

In reality, I bet he has contacted the UK Embassy weeks ago, begging for money, and was rebuffed. It probably was not a pleasant experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think you are wrong about the OP running a scam, though a troll post is possible (still unlikely). With a scam, he would make a son a much more sympathetic character.  I take the OP at face value. The son of a friend has ended up in the sort of predicament young British kids end up in every day. What I think he was mainly asking initially is whether there is a cheaper option than airfare plus 20,000 baht to get him back to the UK. Answer: "no" to which many members here have added "and I hope the guy ends up in a world of hurt".

Tim...I realize you are xpat here. Personally I have seen scam 2 times in bkk. Fella giving EXACT same story. Then next week see same guy drinking grog soi 4. See even more times in Saigon. So many bums living harsh in Saigon and Hanoi. Old and young. 

The story is rubbish. 

There is thing called drugs. That's why meher and  the poor farang opened thread.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Overstay not as easy peazy as it used to be.

Tell him to stay put where he is, don't get arrested, book him a flight home.  Borrow 20,000 Baht (equivalent) and send to him for potential max fine on the way out of the airport.

This kid sounds irresponsible enough he well could get his hands on the 20K and decide to have a final party...then weep for more.   Is there any way a person can send money to the custody of the embassy with it only to be used to facilitate his exit?

• Like 1

He could spruce himself up, walk into some language schools/ teacher agencies, come clean about his situation, they might chuck a few customers his way, shouldn’t take long to raise 25k to get home (under the radar of course )

I’m sure the authorities would prefer him doing that if it gets him out of the country

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, esposa said:

The police are apparently looking for him, hence his sudden urgency for money to come home. He was apparently accused of theft and the police were informed. He claims he's innocent but he's lost his job and didn't save any cash from the job. 

The huge unanswered question here is are the police just looking for him for questioning or is there a warrant out for his arrest. If no warrant and he gets the necessary money, he will probably be able to go to the airport, pay the fine and board his flight.

If there is a warrant, he's pretty much trapped.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

No the kid supposedly needs airfare and the 20,000 baht immigration overstay fee. So what is that in English money, about 1400?

What's he travelling 1st class ? 

20,000 baht maybe say 550 quid - cheap multi stop flight 300 - 850 quid. Paying a criminal to fly first class would be daft !

And my post originally was about if he left without overstay he'd only need 300 quid for a flight - not the mad dosh now

• Like 1