Overstay and no cash advice needed.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:21 AM, esposa said:

Thank you, I wasn't expecting them to cover the cost of his flight and him not pay it back. We'll be contacting them tomorrow anyway. I'm not even sure she has the full story from him so I am hoping I can be there when he next makes contact.

This thread is now 9 pages long,and there's still only one solution:

Buy him a ticket out of the country and pay the fine at the airport, in cash. He won't be able to return for 1 year, but that's all. A cheap ticket and 20k isn't a fortune. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, esposa said:

For those of You following this. T9days update is he has found work and is going to earn what he needs to get home and he hopes to be home by Xmas. He's said the police are no longer looking for him. I suspect the real story is he did something wrong at work, got the sack and had no money to get home and no means to make the money. So he's ramped up his woe is me tale to encourage mum to beg borrow or steal to get him home.

Thank you to everyone that gave advice. It really did help her knowing all the options available.

Sounds like he’s just jumped into the frying pan. He can’t work legally if on overstay!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

This thread is now 9 pages long,and there's still only one solution:

Buy him a ticket out of the country and pay the fine at the airport, in cash. He won't be able to return for 1 year, but that's all. A cheap ticket and 20k isn't a fortune. 

I would almost think this day and age immigration will take a sore spot and refuse him next time as well. That is if immigration stays the same trip of what they are doing and part for the ugly course. 

For those of You following this. T9days update is he has found work and is going to earn what he needs to get home and he hopes to be home by Xmas. He's said the police are no longer looking for him. I suspect the real story is he did something wrong at work, got the sack and had no money to get home and no means to make the money. So he's ramped up his woe is me tale to encourage mum to beg borrow or steal to get him home.

Thank you to everyone that gave advice. It really did help her knowing all the options available.
Let us know how it pans out. Some people drift into tricks to make money
  • Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 1:47 AM, White Christmas13 said:

Does that include "Go Fund Me"?

Are you planning to abuse the gofundme website? This is people who have problems not caused by their own stupidity like working and overstaying on a tourist visa. 

This person you say needs help. Should take the consequences for his actions. If he was working (legally or illegally) then he should have saved money and taken the necessary steps to ensure he could either stay or pay for his flight home and any fines issued by immigration. 

Its people like him that make the good people staying in Thailand suffer when immigration cracks their whip using his example and issues more demands to stay or enter Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, esposa said:

Continue to work illegally . A great plan.

Looking forward to seeing him on Banged Up Abroad next year.

Edited by fishtank
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, amykat said:

This is the kind of story you see on Banged up Abroad.  Idiot desperate for money gets hooked up with some criminal who he meets, who will HELP him ...just carry this package for me to Bali. Or Hong Kong, or whatever ....I would be concerned.

Historically, in Thailand, he would have had a chance of being recruited into the boiler room operations. They welcome native English speakers, and the money used to be quite good. My understanding, though, was that these operations have moved out of Thailand. It is unlikely that he will earn much money other than through shady or very shady employment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, fishtank said:

Continue to work illegally . A great plan.

Yes, although it is his own risk and apparently he likes to take risks. Thank heaven the worry has been removed from the mother. 

I hope this irresponsible scrounger saves effectively rather than spending much of his earnings and gets out of Thailand ASAP... he has the sword of Damocles hanging over him but the temptations of Thailand nearby.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I would almost think this day and age immigration will take a sore spot and refuse him next time as well. That is if immigration stays the same trip of what they are doing and part for the ugly course. 

That would not happen soon since he will be banned from entering the country for one year for an overstay that is more than 90 days. And if caught it would be 5 years.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yang123 said:

What kind of work? 

He's gonna need around 35,000-40,000 Bt min to sort out his problems and get home, so it must be well paying work if he can save 40K in a couple of months.

But if any of the friendly smiling Thais around him report him to the authorities in the meantime, then he's in double trouble.

Edited by TSF

20 hours ago, esposa said:

I am female with my own family. I've even mentioned my own husband having a car accident which is why I have no available funds.  

Where have you got this lover situation from. As stated in my op, I am his mum's friend nothing more.

oh.........interesting. i was wrong.  my logic stands if you were a guy and about to marry a lady whose kid we are talking about (lol), but in this instance it is worthless and was unneccesarry.  my bad.  OK, i'll save my rant for another time.  

• Like 1

Well if you think about it, this all could easily happen to a person by falling for a teaching scam.  They tell people to come and don’t worry about anything, work first, get visa later, and maybe this young guy did that, flew here with one way ticket, then didn’t get paid what he thought??  Now will keep getting screwed because now no real employer will touch him with that passport, that is what I think too.

On 10/17/2019 at 7:59 AM, esposa said:

Mum is my friend but I'm not in a financial position to help, not that it's any of your business. I really don't like her son, so I'm certainly not going to get into debt to help him.

His friends in the UK won't help, he left owning most of them cash. I've since found out a gofundme was set up 2 or 3 days ago, not one person has donated.

The police are apparently looking for him, hence his sudden urgency for money to come home. He was apparently accused of theft and the police were informed. He claims he's innocent but he's lost his job and didn't save any cash from the job. 

As it stands with the new information there's nothing she can do because he's refusing to get advice from the British embassy. He thinks he can turn up at the airport, pay the fine and board the flight home. We don't think that's going to be a option now.

If police are looking for him he is not going anywhere.as most likely his name is already on a blacklist to

leave the country.

if that’s the case, he would need a lot more than 800 pounds .

he will be charged and would need a lawyer , this is at least 25000 baht 

If not convicted, then he would be taken by immigration , 20000 for overstay plus direct flight only, meaning high price ticket .

if he is found guilty, he would be fined so add another 10000-20000 and the same thing with immigration .

if theft was large amount, he could also be jailed.

i had one staff who was caught stealing , as it turned out in total she stole over 250000 baht from different places , she got 10 years jail. I kid you not , could not believe it myself 

the only option I see and it’s only a guess is to leave via border crossing ie sneak out 

6 hours ago, amykat said:

Well if you think about it, this all could easily happen to a person by falling for a teaching scam.  They tell people to come and don’t worry about anything, work first, get visa later, and maybe this young guy did that, flew here with one way ticket, then didn’t get paid what he thought??  Now will keep getting screwed because now no real employer will touch him with that passport, that is what I think too.

He had a friend already working for the school/agency (I'm not sure which it is) he originally worked for. He was foolish ever getting on that plane!

Just now, esposa said:

He had a friend already working for the school/agency (I'm not sure which it is) he originally worked for. He was foolish ever getting on that plane!

So that is what happened?  How or why he came here?  They do have agencies who get jobs for people, they are notoriously bad usually.  An agent has more motives to screw people, in my opinion, he gets paid well from a school and any money that doesn’t go to the teachers, goes to the agency.  The agent also kicks back money to people in the school.  

You might want to consider that this is a well thought out scam and he is not necessarily a jerk for falling for it.  Certainly if he has no experience.  They don’t get work permits because that costs money, they hire people without the proper education, because they work cheaper, but the school pays the proper rate, agent gets the difference.  They promise pay that doesn’t come, I don’t know all the tricks but there are teaching forums I used to read sometimes about it.

• Haha 1

Also, the school or agency might have told him they were going to pay for a visa run originally and then kept putting him off with excuses.  That is the fine art of Thai lies, they keep delaying things but make you feel it is being worked on and will happen tomorrow.  Then you get told not to ask too many questions or you will make people lose face.  So you wait around nicely.  Time is going by, you get told...don’t worry, no problem, you think too much, be happy.  Smile. Laugh.  

Then he was on overstay, and they owe him a month’s pay, now somebody comes up with a fake theft that did not happen ...but tell him they think he did it.  Give him the choice to leave without money or get police involved??

I can totally see this happening ....

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Usually, today, this is only possible by bribing immigration in the receiving country. If you sneak past both sets of immigration, you are guilty of illegal entry. When eventually discovered, and after prosecution in the country you entered illegally, you are liable to be returned to Thailand. These days, if you arrive at immigration of a neighbouring country without Thai exit stamps, they will send you back to Thailand.

Another dodge people sometimes think they can pull off is "accidentally" losing their passports, and coming up with a story that suggests they are legally in the country. Maybe, 50 years ago this might have worked. In 2019, they will soon work out from their computers whether your story is accurate.

In his case from my understanding overstay is only half the problem . Being wanted by police for alleged theft is by far more serious