Under consideration

Hi guys,

After 6 hours at immigration applying for my extension of stay based on marriage (I decided against posting about that because I don't want any trouble), I have the under consideration stamp and have been told to expect a home visit to make sure that I actually live at my wife's house etc and am not working. Does anyone know what this visit involves and what I need to do? Does this mean that I effectively am trapped at home until the visit is done?

Edited by SteveK

I've had two home visits.

They usually ring (possibly at short notice) to say they are coming. They arrived with a laptop, scanner & printer. I had to have 2 witnesses (Pu Yai ban + 1 other). They scanned/copied the witnesses ID cards & tabbian bans. They quizzed my wife and the witnesses to establish that our marriage was  legit and that I was not working. Details were entered into the laptop, printed and the witnesses signed them to say the details were true. They hardly spoke to me at all. Took 30-40 minutes.

• Thanks 1

Got my under consideration stamp yesterday in Jomtien. We had our witness with us for the interview (that was the rule last year), but now we were told to expect a home visit. Stamp was received in under 30 minutes no queue at family counter.

They will call the day before and witness must also be present. Witness needs to show ID and Tabien Baan, will be interviewed and the IO will take a bunch of pictures, one of them with us and witness together.

You are not stuck at home, you can travel (we will go North tomorrow for few days), you only have to be able to make the appointment within the under consideration period.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Has anyone ever heard of the application coming back refused after getting the under consideration stamp? Obviously if that is a possibility then I need to have a plan in place and a bag packed.

I have never seen a report of this.

Methinks you worry too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Impossible to make generalizations about all five million immigration offices in Thailand. What they expect depends on the office, whether or not they speak English well depends on the individual officer.

The only times I've heard of people with under consideration stamps being denied the extension is when they've withdrawn money from the bank (making the balance lower than 400k).

• Thanks 1

Has anyone ever heard of the application coming back refused after getting the under consideration stamp? Obviously if that is a possibility then I need to have a plan in place and a bag packed.
Well, if the immigration officer would qualify your marriage as sham during the house visit, you would of course be rejected...

IO told us yesterday that Jomtien went back to yearly house visits, because too many witnesses have been clearly bought for statements at immigration...

If your marriage is genuine and functional you don't need a packed bag...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, SteveK said:

ave been told to expect a home visit to make sure that I actually live at my wife's house etc and am not working.

Marriage extension doesn't prohibit you from working.

(you'd need a work permit of course, but that isn't the business of immigration)

10 hours ago, SteveK said:

Can they speak English? Although I'm OK with Thai in restaurants and taxis etc I can't hold a proper conversation.

The visit I had a few years back, about 5 or 6 turned up and none of them could speak English.

Didn't matter as they totally ignored me and just sat talking with the misses, MiL, kids and the next door neighbours.

No advance notice of the visit.

Edited by BritManToo

Impossible to make generalizations about all five million immigration offices in Thailand. What they expect depends on the office, whether or not they speak English well depends on the individual officer.

The only times I've heard of people with under consideration stamps being denied the extension is when they've withdrawn money from the bank (making the balance lower than 400k).
You mean before the final approval right? AFAIK after you get your approval stamp in your passport you can spend it all as long as there is 400K in the bank 3 months prior to application for next extension.

Sent from my SM-A205F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, SteveK said:

Can they speak English? Although I'm OK with Thai in restaurants and taxis etc I can't hold a proper conversation.

As others have said, as long as you are both there, in a good mood, smiles and wais etc. Your wife will engage them in chit chat, pour the coffee or something stronger if you have and they want. You will be on the sidelines while the family looks on with curiosity. If your marriage is legit no worries, sometimes, as others have mentioned, the poo yai and "orbator (sic) need to sign as witnesses on 1st visit. Some IOs have been known to hint for a brown note for petrol etc. My wife gave them a bag of mangoes.

4 hours ago, DepDavid said:

You mean before the final approval right? AFAIK after you get your approval stamp in your passport you can spend it all as long as there is 400K in the bank 3 months prior to application for next extension.

Sent from my SM-A205F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, "under consideration" is before you get the final stamp. And it's two months in the bank prior to extensions.