American boxer Day dies following brutal knockout

webfact

American boxer Day dies following brutal knockout

2019-10-16T235438Z_1_LYNXMPEF9F23M_RTROPTP_3_BOXING.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Oct 12, 2019; Chicago, IL, USA; Patrick Day (red trunks) reacts after getting knocked down by Charles Conwell (not pictured) during a USBA Super-Welterweight boxing match at Wintrust Arena. Credit: Jon Durr-USA TODAY Sports

(Reuters) - American boxer Patrick Day died on Wednesday in Chicago as a result of the traumatic brain injury he suffered during his fight on Saturday, where he was knocked out by Charles Conwell in the 10th round.

Day, 27, had been in a coma for four days following his defeat and, despite having emergency brain surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, doctors were unable to save the junior middleweight.

"Patrick Day passed away today, October 16, 2019, succumbing to the traumatic brain injury he suffered in his fight this past Saturday, October 12, at the Wintrust Arena in Chicago, IL," his promoter Lou DiBella said in a statement.

"He was surrounded by his family, close friends and members of his boxing team, including his mentor, friend and trainer Joe Higgins."

"On behalf of Patrick's family, team, and those closest to him, we are grateful for the prayers, expressions of support and outpouring of love for Pat that have been so obvious since his injury."

Day was rushed to the hospital on a stretcher after Conwell landed a flurry of punches that left him motionless on the canvas.

Before turning professional, Day was a highly decorated amateur who won two nationals titles.

He turned pro in 2013 and became a world-rated super welterweight contender, capturing the WBC Continental Americas championship in 2017 and the IBF Intercontinental championship in 2019. In June he was rated in the top-10 by both the WBC and IBF.

Day's death comes after 23-year-old Argentine super lightweight Hugo Santillan died in July from injuries suffered in the ring and 28-year-old Russian Maxim Dadashev passed away two day earlier from brain injuries during his fight.

"It becomes very difficult to explain away or justify the dangers of boxing at a time like this," DiBella said.

"This is not a time where edicts or pronouncements are appropriate, or the answers are readily available. It is, however, a time for a call to action.

"While we don't have the answers, we certainly know many of the questions, have the means to answer them, and have the opportunity to respond responsibly and accordingly and make boxing safer for all who participate.

"This is a way we can honour the legacy of Pat Day. Many people live much longer than Patrick's 27 years, wondering if they made a difference or positively affected their world. This was not the case for Patrick Day when he left us.

"Rest in peace and power, Pat, with the angels."

(Reporting by Rory Carroll in Los Angeles)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-17

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, webfact said:

"It becomes very difficult to explain away or justify the dangers of boxing at a time like this," DiBella said.

No, not really. What happened is truly sad and my thoughts goes to his family and friends.

However, how many people have died at motorcycle races, Formula 1 and Nascar? That´s just a few examples.

Besides that we can look at all plane crashes, car and motorbike accidents that result in a massive amount of deaths per year. Are we going to ban all that?

Where is the line going to be drawn? Boxing has been a sport for a very long time, and have actually not seen many deaths. It can still be explained and it´s still possible to justify the sport, regardless of this tragic outcome in one of the many hundreds of fights happening every single year.

25 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No, not really. What happened is truly sad and my thoughts goes to his family and friends.

However, how many people have died at motorcycle races, Formula 1 and Nascar? That´s just a few examples.

Besides that we can look at all plane crashes, car and motorbike accidents that result in a massive amount of deaths per year. Are we going to ban all that?

Where is the line going to be drawn? Boxing has been a sport for a very long time, and have actually not seen many deaths. It can still be explained and it´s still possible to justify the sport, regardless of this tragic outcome in one of the many hundreds of fights happening every single year.

Nascar, F1 and Bike racing are damgerous yes, but, the drivers/riders don't go on the track to try and injure, half kill or kill the opposition.

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Nascar, F1 and Bike racing are damgerous yes, but, the drivers/riders don't go on the track to try and injure, half kill or kill the opposition.

Absolutely, boxing is one of the few sports where the objective is to render your opponent senseless 

Very sad. Saw a few interviews with him in the build up to the fight and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

As for the sport, boxing does way more good than it does bad. It turns around many troubled individuals and deaths in the ring are fortunately very rare these days. Injury is a part of many sports and death happens in many sports as well. No reason to call the sport of boxing into question IMO.  

50 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

The main difference is that during a boxing match you want to hurt your opponent as much as you can, so much so you want him to pass out.

8 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The main difference is that during a boxing match you want to hurt your opponent as much as you can, so much so you want him to pass out.

Nobody is forcing them to box. They all know the risks.

If you don't like it you can change the channel.

14 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Nobody is forcing them to box. They all know the risks.

If you don't like it you can change the channel.

Which is not related to my comment. Someone else made a comparison with other sports where people die, I commented that that is a false comparison looking at the aim of the sport.

31 minutes ago, stevenl said:

There you are totally wrong. Nobody wants to hurt the other part. They see it as a sport and know all the risks with it. They actually tries to knock each other out as clean as possible for minimum damage. They are almost all the time, very respectful to eachother. All the talk before is just for show.

54 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If you believe that boxers, or any other martial arts sport is made for injure, kill or half kill to opponent then you definately not know anything about that kind of sports and the people that are active at a professional level.

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

There you are totally wrong. Nobody wants to hurt the other part. They see it as a sport and know all the risks with it. They actually tries to knock each other out as clean as possible for minimum damage. They are almost all the time, very respectful to eachother. All the talk before is just for show.

Sorry, I don't do semantics discussions about the difference between hurting your opponent and trying to knock him down.

10 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So if one gets a cut eye then in order not to hurt him more his opponent will no longer concentrate on that cut eye so he has retire?

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So if one gets a cut eye then in order not to hurt him more his opponent will no longer concentrate on that cut eye so he has retire?

Not going to go in to a prolonged discussion with you. Just that I am semi active in mixed martial arts. Both in teaching and practising, so I just consider myself to have knowledge about the way fighters think. But, ok you are right.

26 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Which is not related to my comment. Someone else made a comparison with other sports where people die, I commented that that is a false comparison looking at the aim of the sport.

The aim of boxing is not to kill your opponent.

This isn't dog fighting where 2 animals are put into the ring against their will to fight to the death. Or bull fighting where the aim is to kill the bull. Boxing is a highly skilled combat sport where deaths happen but are thankfully rare.

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The aim of boxing is not to kill your opponent.

This isn't dog fighting where 2 animals are put into the ring against their will to fight to the death. Or bull fighting where the aim is to kill the bull. Boxing is a highly skilled combat sport where deaths happen but are thankfully rare.

Ok, I give up since you apparently can't see the difference between a risky sport where accidents happen and a sport where it is the goal to knock down the opponent. Your argument  'The aim of boxing is not to kill your opponent.' was never claimed by anybody here.

2 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

RIP. Iron Mike was one with a killer instinct. Sorry to say that, but when you decide to become a profi boxer you should be aware of the riks. 

Yes, Tyson was also a boxer, and yes, brutal. But this story is not about him.

Often wonder what it is that makes people want to learn skills that have the sole intention of causing pain to others, and possible life changing injuries to others, or in this case ( thread ) death.

Please no one tell me it's just a way of keeping fit. 

What does it compensate for?

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Often wonder what it is that makes people want to learn skills that have the sole intention of causing pain to others, and possible life changing injuries to others, or in this case ( thread ) death.

Please no one tell me it's just a way of keeping fit. 

What does it compensate for?

It can be a nice earner for some...

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

How can you call wantenly wanting to inflict pain and injury on another person a sport?

It is gladatorial at best and as long as we condone one person wanting to inflict injury on another then our streets are never going to be safe.

The difference between this and the other sports mentioned is attitude.

I was a professional athlete when I was young, a cyclist.

The only two gyms with weight training equipment where I lived were at the boxing club and the rowing club, I trained at the boxing club and so got to know a lot of people in that ‘sport’.

My observation is boxers where the only athletes who I thought trained as hard as cyclists, I gained a great deal of respect for the boxers I knew and certainly for their supreme fitness.

I certainly met some very fine people in the ‘sport’.

I also recognize the comment above that boxing keeps a lot of lads out of trouble, but then that’s true of all sports.

But it is without question something else other than just a ‘sport’, it’s a business and it’s a business that is based on young men hurting each other.

Yes, my sport is also a business, and yes it has its dangers, but far from winning by hurting, a core part of the camaraderie in my sport was centered on understanding the risks and taking care not to hurt anyone.

Not so boxing.

Tragic as this young man’s death is, it is an inevitable outcome of basing a business/sport on inflicting harm.

This young man’s death gets the headlines, not so the life changing brain injuries suffered by young men in boxing gyms and minor championship fights.

Yes Boxing does provide young men with an outlet for their energy, and yes that is a good thing.

But so do so many other sports that are not based on hurting people.

RIP this young man.

What a waste of a life.

Surprised boxing and other combat "sports" haven't become a target for progressive crusaders and SJWs seeking to change or eradicate certain behaviors and social norms for, as they see it, the betterment and advancement of the human species. 

Save the trees, whales, end animal cruelty, domestic violence, drink driving, save the Earth from humans, etc.  (American) footballers have been pulled into the womb in recent years for the obvious risks involved there, but that concern and outrage hasn't found its way to blood sports for some reason.  Saving soi dogs gets more attention.  Funny old world, innit.

I do appreciate the training, fitness and tactical skill of boxers, as well as the technical aspects of MMA - moreso with the ground fighting.   But IMO, MMA is a far more grotesque spectacle, in particular when 1 fighter succeeds in knocking the other down to the deck...... and then jumps on and pins them down, and starts Hammer Fisting the fk out of them.  Things break, blood squirts, delicate, irreplaceable eyes are at huge risk yet this is totally accepted and we cheer them on until the poor schmuck either passes out or the Ref intervenes. 

It adds ZERO to the value of our species and "civilised" society and, in fact, we should be collectively embarrassed that we allow and cheer this kind of krap on.  If all contact/blood sports ended tomorrow, apart from the obvious, intertwined financial/employment aspects, our world would carry on just fine and, in fact, it would be an overall improvement.

Archived