Trump says likely won't sign China trade deal until he meets with Xi

webfact

Trump says likely won't sign China trade deal until he meets with Xi

2019-10-16T160802Z_1_LYNXMPEF9F1H4_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRADE-CHINA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with China's Vice Premier Liu He in the Oval Office at the White House after two days of trade negotiations in Washington, U.S., October 11, 2019. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he likely would not sign any trade deal with China until he meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the upcoming APEC Forum in Chile.

Trump, speaking to reporters at the White House, said the partial trade deal announced last week was in the process of being formalised.

"It's being papered," he said.

Trump, Xi and other heads of state are expected to participate in the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Forum being held in Santiago from Nov. 11 to Nov. 17.

Last week, Trump and Chinese Vice Premier Liu He announced the first phase of a deal to end the trade war between Beijing and Washington but did not offer many details.

U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he likely would not sign any trade deal with China until he meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the upcoming APEC Forum in Chile. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

China wants more talks as soon as the end of October to hammer out the details of the "phase one" pact, according to a Bloomberg report on Monday that cited people familiar with the matter.

(Reporting by Steve Holland and Makini Brice; Writing by Susan Heavey; Editing by Toby Chopra and Chris Reese)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-17

The sooner this idiot is out of the oval office the better off the world will be and everything can get back to normal . I know those of you out there that love this psychopath will have a go at me but I really don't give a flying (deleted) so do your best it will only show how #### you are . 

Lets hope Trump takes the opportunity to bring up Hong Kong and its plight. Its becoming quite serious, a once great financial outpost is being destroyed and likely to become absorbed into China 20 years early yet most media especially in Asia is avoiding reporting it, I wonder why ? . Its a shining example of Chinas deal breaking and how bought off media are and other govs look the other way. 

9 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Lets hope Trump takes the opportunity to bring up Hong Kong and its plight. Its becoming quite serious, a once great financial outpost is being destroyed and likely to become absorbed into China 20 years early yet most media especially in Asia is avoiding reporting it, I wonder why ? . Its a shining example of Chinas deal breaking and how bought off media are and other govs look the other way. 

That sir would take courage and leadership Donald lacks both.as far as a trade deal I call bs I don’t think he has one I suspect China is sitting back and cautiously watching Donald going down in flames

Some folks seem to be profiting from the president's China trade-war roller coaster...AXE Capital? SEC says, nothing to see here, move along.

“THERE IS DEFINITE HANKY-PANKY GOING ON”: THE FANTASTICALLY PROFITABLE MYSTERY OF THE TRUMP CHAOS TRADES

The president’s talk can move markets—and it’s made some futures traders billions. Did they know what he was going to say before he said it?

But these wins were peanuts compared to the money made by a trader, or group of traders, who bought 420,000 September e-minis in the last 30 minutes of trading on June 28. That was some 40% of the day’s trading volume in September e-minis—making it a trade that could not easily be ignored. By then, President Trump was already in Osaka, Japan—14 hours ahead of Chicago—and on his way to a roughly hour-long meeting with China’s President Xi Jinping as part of the G20 summit. On Saturday in Osaka, after the market had closed in Chicago, Trump emerged from his meeting with Xi and announced that the intermittent trade talks were “back on track.” The following week was a good one in the stock market, thanks to the Trump announcement. On Thursday, June 27, the S&P 500 index stood at about 2915; a week or so later, it was just below 3000, a gain of 84 points, or $4,200 per e-mini contract. Whoever bought the 420,000 e-minis on June 28 had made a handsome profit of nearly $1.8 billion.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/10/the-mystery-of-the-trump-chaos-trades

Trump simply don't have a strategy nor a plan to deal with China. He just kick the proverbial can down the road and hope China economy will decapitate and force to make a deal. China can afford to play the long game; Trump can't. Meanwhile he is driving the world economy crazy with consistent spin of the trade talk progress. Someone must be profiting the stock market reactions.

2 hours ago, englishoak said:

This may come as something of a surprise but if you take a step back you would see that its the street thugs that want to re-write the Basic Law not Beijing.  So who is destroying Hong Kong as we know it?

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

This may come as something of a surprise but if you take a step back you would see that its the street thugs that want to re-write the Basic Law not Beijing.  So who is destroying Hong Kong as we know it?

Article 45
The Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region shall be selected by election or through consultations held locally and be appointed by the Central People's Government.

The method for selecting the Chief Executive shall be specified in the light of the actual situation in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and in accordance with the principle of gradual and orderly progress. The ultimate aim is the selection of the Chief Executive by universal suffrage upon nomination by a broadly representative nominating committee in accordance with democratic procedures.

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

The sooner this idiot is out of the oval office the better off the world will be and everything can get back to normal . I know those of you out there that love this psychopath will have a go at me but I really don't give a flying (deleted) so do your best it will only show how #### you are . 

I don't like Trump's stance on most things especially immigration and the environment and his extreme capitalist mentality although the one good thing he's doing is that he's tackling China. We don't want them to be the most powerful country in the world, because if they were those in charge might have your kidneys sold to the highest bidder before you know it, (have you read about what goes on at the reeducation camps over there). Best to keep them in check if you ask me.

1 hour ago, NightSky said:

I don't like Trump's stance on most things especially immigration and the environment and his extreme capitalist mentality although the one good thing he's doing is that he's tackling China. We don't want them to be the most powerful country in the world, because if they were those in charge might have your kidneys sold to the highest bidder before you know it, (have you read about what goes on at the reeducation camps over there). Best to keep them in check if you ask me.

You can now buy a kidney from the internet even in USA. China will be a superpower whether you want it or not and will eclipse USA as the largest economy on the world. You can also be re-educated by the abundance of conspiracy theorists in USA. 

This guy is a premature ejaculator. He spits out anything that comes into his mind. One day he has the greatest deal ever for farmers with China....next day there is no deal at all....the Chinese wanted tariff relief before they would but US farm produce. He is like that with everything. You can believe nothing that comes out of his mouth. 

I guess the problem is that all he says is is good news which is all down to him (in his version of reality). Unfortunately not many people share his version of reality.

7 hours ago, englishoak said:

Britain negotiated that HK would be returned to China after the 99 year (extorted) leased ran out. What was supposed to happen was that it would have been returned in 1997. The deal delayed that until 2047. China is not breaking the agreement in anyway shape or form. They requested an extradition treaty which is quite a normal thing to do, and then when the protests started about the extradition, the elected CEO of HK withdrew the extradition request. The protesters then tried to come up with other grievances which will not happen until 2047 when HK becomes a part of China. It is not difficult to understand. And China will never give up HK? Never, ever.

So the return to China in 2047 is completely lawful having been agreed by the two powers, UK and China. The Governor signed the agreement as the legal head of HK on behalf of HK and its people. The Governor was Chris Patten if you remember. We now forget that HK wasn't a democracy under the Brits.....it was ruled by a Governor appointed by HM government.

And for who is ruining the financial well being of HK.....it is the protesters. They have already killed one man who disagreed with them and they will kill again. These are not heroes, but thugs, put on the streets by western powers. There are even photos of them in offices with US and EU country diplomats....the people supporting the rebellion.

Ask yourself, what other country would tolerate this level of violence for any protracted length of time. The French police are fighting yellow vests; this sort of protest would be put down viciously in the US, with guns firing live ammo; Israelis likewise simply employed snipers to shoot Palestinian protesters. Expect China to come in and crush the revolt soon.

Dealing with China yes. By a trade war paid for by Americans no.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

One of Trumps greatest weaknesses is his utter inability to negotiate any deal other than buying small apartment buildings, or selling condos to Russian mobsters. 

Best to have smarter and more talented people deal with the grown up matters. The problem is, since he is a bottom of the barrel kind of guy, there is no talent in the administration. And the few mediocre people that were there, have long ago fled. 

Not to worry. He will be long gone within 13 months. His chances of getting re-elected are waning by the day. If his fate was not already sealed, his decisions on Syria and Turkey have finished him. Even his own party and many of his devotees are aghast at the utter abandonment of the Kurds, his cavalier attitude toward IS prisoners and his junk BS spin, that he is attempting to put on his utterly horrific choices. He is completely unhinged, and very dangerous. 

Bye bye Don Donald. 

12 hours ago, keith101 said:

The problem is not the man in office. The problems in america are the banks,the feds and the stock market. These will destroy america. 

Trump is a liar and we all can see that. But he is not the cause of american problems. Americans and i am one are the problem. We are over the top consumers and the debt we have acumulated will send the world into a recession while america goes into a depression. We have added 36 percent to the deficet in 2019. Its going to crash and burn.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Dealing with China yes. By a trade war paid for by Americans no.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It’s not only Americans who pay, it’s anyone sourcing goods made in the USA that use Chinese parts, that includes me also as I source some products from the USA and prices have increased a bit since the trade war began. It’s worth the extra pennies though to standup to certain regimes that donot respect human rights.

12 hours ago, keith101 said:

Well, everytime Trump talks, the USD tumbles so why do people still vote for him?

See the exchange rate today.....

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=THB&view=12h

8 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Article 45
The Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region shall be selected by election or through consultations held locally and be appointed by the Central People's Government.

The method for selecting the Chief Executive shall be specified in the light of the actual situation in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and in accordance with the principle of gradual and orderly progress. The ultimate aim is the selection of the Chief Executive by universal suffrage upon nomination by a broadly representative nominating committee in accordance with democratic procedures.

See that phrase 'ultimate aim?'

Where's the date? Who appoints the Chief Exective? Is this orderly progress? Smashing up the Legislature?

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Some folks seem to be profiting from the president's China trade-war roller coaster...AXE Capital? SEC says, nothing to see here, move along.

“THERE IS DEFINITE HANKY-PANKY GOING ON”: THE FANTASTICALLY PROFITABLE MYSTERY OF THE TRUMP CHAOS TRADES

The president’s talk can move markets—and it’s made some futures traders billions. Did they know what he was going to say before he said it?

But these wins were peanuts compared to the money made by a trader, or group of traders, who bought 420,000 September e-minis in the last 30 minutes of trading on June 28. That was some 40% of the day’s trading volume in September e-minis—making it a trade that could not easily be ignored. By then, President Trump was already in Osaka, Japan—14 hours ahead of Chicago—and on his way to a roughly hour-long meeting with China’s President Xi Jinping as part of the G20 summit. On Saturday in Osaka, after the market had closed in Chicago, Trump emerged from his meeting with Xi and announced that the intermittent trade talks were “back on track.” The following week was a good one in the stock market, thanks to the Trump announcement. On Thursday, June 27, the S&P 500 index stood at about 2915; a week or so later, it was just below 3000, a gain of 84 points, or $4,200 per e-mini contract. Whoever bought the 420,000 e-minis on June 28 had made a handsome profit of nearly $1.8 billion.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/10/the-mystery-of-the-trump-chaos-trades

I have believed this to be the case for well over a year now. This lying sack of $$$$ has done nothing but manipulate markets for his own good and that of his friends and insiders. This is what he should be impeached for. And when he is removed from office, all his ill gotten gains should be stripped from him and he should be dragged out on the steps of the capital, put into stocks (the kind they lock your head, arms, and feet into) and left there to rot all winter.

7 hours ago, NightSky said:

Trump isn't doing that. He is trying to cave, because he wants to pump the stock market. But the Chinese won't let him. They're torturing his fat ask in public, just to humiliate him.

10 hours ago, Traubert said:

See that phrase 'ultimate aim?'

Where's the date? Who appoints the Chief Exective? Is this orderly progress? Smashing up the Legislature?

As I actually posted the excerpt I obviously did see the phrase you mention.  No idea why you are being so aggressive in your post as mine was simply providing information for others to read and make up their own minds on the current situation; I did not state a point of view either way on the current situation.  Is freedom of thought or speech a problem for you?

I do not agree with the levels of violence shown by either side; it is counterproductive to any solution.  The Govt has shown remarkable ineptitude on the whole and has yet to offer a solution to the situation, they simply sit back and let the police try win a political war through street battles.

Where is the date? - There is no date but there is a requirement to show progress.  The Occupy Central movement of 2014 was in response to a denial of universal suffrage.

Who appoints the C.E.? - Central People's Government.  But please note the phrase 'The ultimate aim is the selection of the Chief Executive by universal suffrage upon nomination by a broadly representative nominating committee in accordance with democratic procedures.   (please note that I used the phrase 'please note' rather than 'see that phrase')

Is this orderly progress? - No it isn't.  But I might suggest that the demonstrators are annoyed at no progress.

Smashing up the legislature? - This is not really a question, but as I said earlier, I do not agree with violence.

These demonstrations started in response to a Govt move to introduce an Extradition Bill. 

I have a couple of questions for you -

Since when can a Chinese city create its own Laws on Extradition?  Even though HK has some difference to other Chinese cities it must still rely on the CPG for Foreign Policy.

Since when does China approve any country to have dealings with Taiwan, let alone allow its own cities to create international treaties on extradition?

Archived