BANGKOK
Dtay777

Ed Visa questioned with reentry permit suvarnabhumi

I have been in Thailand 7 months on an ED visa.  I decided to take a vacation to Cambodia for a few days.  Got a reenntry permit and left. 

Upon entering the immigration section the guy looked at my passport and asked if i spoke thai. 

I said lit noi and he took me to supervisor. 

Now despite attending classes i suck at thai.  People will probably say you should know more etc but i try my best. 

He demanded i write some things in thai and i can a little as i know the alphabet etc. He wouldnt accept spoken thai but only written. 

Then he talked to me..  For 1 hr 30 minutes.  Why would anyone want to learn thai because you cant make more money... Why foreigners lie and wish to stay long in Thailand etc. 

He said if only i told him the truth he'd have let me through now he will deport. 

Weird thing is i told him the truth!  He asked why i got my ED Visa i said because i love thailand the culture and people and id like to stay and learn the language and the people.  

He said weighing what i wanted more language or the country which i prefer. I said country not the language. 

He let me through. 

So yeah be repared to answer in Thai and write thai even on a reentry permit.  He scared the <deleted> out of me. 

He also talked to me in this demeaning way which is hard to describe. I definitely felt like a criminal. 

Your Ed Visa is to study Thai? You did not say.

If it is one would have to admit the IO would be somewhat justified to question you. When I was back in Newcastle early this year there was a TV program about abuse of the ed visa system in the UK. I ma not saying you have abused it but the IO may have just been doing his job?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

but the IO may have just been doing his job?

So, the IOs job is to accuse all foreigners to be liars and making life very difficult on a land border in the middle of nowhere. Are you foreigners all insane? Being treated like <deleted> on all entries by immigration and still staying. If this would happen to me in any country I'd be gone for good.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

You should have said nit noi..

isn't it nid noi ? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sillyfool said:

isn't it nid noi ? 

The Thai is "นิดหน่อย ". n, short i over the n, d, consonant class changer (also called "h"), n, tone mark, o, y. BUT while there are many INITIAL consonant sounds in Thai, everything collapses to one of 7 TERMINAL sounds at the end of a syllable. So a terminal d always becomes a t. Hence "neet noy". (This is a westernized view of what happens; only 1 of my Thai students ever expressed it that way, and he had rich Thai-Chinese parents who sent him to a British-international school).

Did you cross at Poipet?

43 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

I ma not saying you have abused it but the IO may have just been doing his job?

That he asks him a bit, sure why not. But OP wrote he talked with him for 1.5 hours, this is clearly over the top.

Especially because there is no minimum requirement of Thai language skills.

The rules simply state that you need to attend a minimum amount of classes, this doesn't mean you actually have to learn anything there. If he suspects OP of not attending the required classes he should investigate the school.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It seems that Thai immigration officers job is to assume that you are doing something dodgy and then ask questions to see if they can confirm as such. It must be incredibly easy for them to see if someone is studying Thai language or not from 2-3 minutes of conversation. And if you don't know your gaw gai from your kaw kai then it's pretty obvious you aren't studying. Next time study astrophysics.

And if you don't know your gaw gai from your kaw kai then it's pretty obvious you aren't studying. Next time study astrophysics.

Gaw gai/kaw kai? What kind of transliteration is that? Please stick to astrophysics.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ok I have a freind who is now doing a ED visa but learning Russian and says he has no hassle at immigration so far. He has left the country and return in the last 12 months but he didn't say when he changed to Russian but did say it was the school idea as cant get Thai. His next Trip is not till next March. I told him they may not let him back in.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Did you cross at Poipet?

That he asks him a bit, sure why not. But OP wrote he talked with him for 1.5 hours, this is clearly over the top.

The rules simply state that you need to attend a minimum amount of classes, this doesn't mean you actually have to learn anything there. If he suspects OP of not attending the required classes he should investigate the school.

It was at suvarnabhumi airport

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Did you cross at Poipet?

It was at suvarnabhumi airport

The only thing you would have needed is a written document from your school, that you´ve attended all the classes during your period of studying. Try that next time, if there will be a next time.

• Like 1