What passport should dual Thai -US citizen use to enter Thailand.

I’m just posting this for informational purposes as I have seen this issue arise and just want to post our recent experience. My wife is a US and Thai dual

Citizen. We came in through Swampy a few weeks ago for a vacation stay. She easily and without issue used her Thai passport which still has her maiden name through the scanners and will exit the same way. Once home she will show US immigration both passports so they can see the stamps in the Thai passport similar to what a green card holder would do. No issues to be expected but I’ll update if we encounter any. Always easier for the wife to travel within Thailand under her Thai passport. There have been reports I have seen from others who used their other passports of hassles from immigration. Just make sure the name on her ticket matches her Thai passport exactly and do not flash her other passport except at the airline counter when leaving if they even request it to make sure she can re-enter the destination country. I’m sure a lot of you already know this but I’m sure there will be some like me who didn’t really know what to expect the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Yes, use the passport of the country you are in to enter that country (if you have such a passport).  That's the right way to go.  In fact, it's illegal for someone who possesses a US passport to enter the US on another country's passport.  I don't think Thailand has such a law, but it's still the way to go for simplicity and lack of problems.  

Never volunteer to an immigration official that you have two passports, they only need to see the right one.  Never volunteer to an airline check-in person that you have two passports.  If they will not board you, then show the other passport if it will help resolve the situation.  Don't needlessly complicate your passage through life by showing people more information than they need to do their job.

• Thanks 1

I think the hassles reported for those with multiple passports....did not involve the passports of the countries visited.

For example, someone with dual US/Irish citizenship using different passports to enter a third country i.e. Thailand.

Your wife is doing it correctly.