Thirty one teachers injured - driver dead - as bus slams into rear of gas tanker

webfact

This truck was carrying Diesel, Hazchem plated sign 3082, officials at the scene would have recognized it would be unlikely that this would cause an explosion or fire, diesel needs to be pre heated to a high temperature before igniting. Poor reporting.

RIP the driver and thoughts to family.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, wisperone said:

Another sleeping bus driver on Thai roads. No excuse. Life is too cheap in LOD. Hope the injured recover.

Shouldn't there be a co driver on long distance journeys to do two hour stints? Whether that would make any difference, who knows.

Once again:   Check out Goofy in the "Motormania", from 1950.

That will explain what`s going on when your driving

on the Thai roads!

Be careful, have your eyes open at all times and NEVER

trust anyone making a signal to go the left or right!

Be safe out there!!    

7 hours ago, sensei said:

I have experienced this too! I was in a van and the driver was nodding off. I was almost behind him and I would nudge him whenever I see his eyes closing. The lady sitting in front said he wasn't sleeping at all. clearly, he was.

My Wife deliberately sits right next to the driver to KEEP him awake, its bad  really bad, being  pretty stupid they just laugh it  off same as she is the only one putting on a  seatbelt.

6 hours ago, chang1 said:

You just want to blame him,

he IS ultimately responsible, if he had a conscience he would  not drive reckon he checked his  tyre pressure before he left? all  lights  working? etc etc not working, refuse to drive and yes LOSE  job, not to worry he lost everything in the end

4 hours ago, Derek B said:

U-Turns should be well lit I would of thought.

Just don't drive at night.

Actually I nearly always drive long distance late  at night/early morning.....theres  less to hit and be hit  by despite  everyone  telling me theyre  all drunk at  night I havent found that to be so, its  much quieter.

8 hours ago, sillyfool said:

come on give the guy a brake. maybe he did fall asleep after working a very long shift. 

if he had of use the brake(s) , maybe he would still be alive - or was it brake failure -- again? 

4 hours ago, Derek B said:

Looking at the rear of tanker it does not seem to be of the best design to avoid damage from a shunt resulting in a spill so high up.

shunt - looks like a high speed impact  - or didn't look at the front of the bus.

6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

At the risk of being called pedantic, that truck  8pm.jpg   is not placarded for either diesel fuel  image.jpeg.726ead15580b034e56c62fdb3ea415a0.jpeg  or gasoline (petrol) image.jpeg.0169508408ba46258737b2417370588f.jpeg

It appears to have a U.N. 3082 placard image.png.e8714d82ba39a420d5dab3a108e27590.png hazardous liquid, plus an environmentally hazardous placardImage result for hazardous liquid NOS to finish it off.  May not have been as flammable as gasoline, but a nasty liquid when pouring out onto the highway. 

Didn't see any. Carrying water / water vapour ???

Maybe if driver was half awake. it would help very much. if the back of trucks had decent lightning plus as in Europe and UK. High vis marking that reflect light back. In UK the back of trucks shine better than Christmas trees. Something in a country with poor street lighting would aid even semi blind drivers. Plus travelling at night seems to be a penny pinching exercise to save the cost of overnight accommodation and knowing that many bus drivers have to travel hundreds of kilometers to do their pick-ups and travel during the daytime to get there and then travel hundreds of kilometers during the night to get them to their destination, I normally take my car rather than sit on the bus. why! I owned and drove tour buses in the UK, and never trust the private hire section in Thailand, if that is what has been booked. I only let my daughter travel on school trips when there is more than one bus. But saying that her bus still was involved in an accident 30 kilometers from the school on its return, hitting a car that pulled out in front of him.

14 hours ago, Yinn said:

sleeping? 

You believe this story? Impossible.

I experienced this some years ago in a mini bus driving between Nakhon Sri Thamsrat and Sichon. I saw the driver's head dip forward and at first thought he was looking down at his feet for something but a few seconds later I realized he had nodded off. Fortunately I was seated in the row behind him so I able to grab his shoulder and he recovered his composure.  The bus was full of passengers.  Crowded spaces reduce the oxygen and I'm sure this is responsible for many similar accidents in Thailand.

18 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

A collision with a gas tanker could have killed many in the bus. RIP, tired driver and a speedy recovery for the injured ones. 

Actually an LPG tanker is structurally more sound than a regular tanker truck so result would have been much the same.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

the driver fell asleep at the wheel or didn't see the tanker as it is a very dark area of road. 

Did not the bus have lights?  There are many reflectors on the rear of the tanker but I suppose if the driver was asleep or 'distracted' he might not have noticed this gigantic obstacle in his path. 

Archived