BANGKOK
webfact

Thirty one teachers injured - driver dead - as bus slams into rear of gas tanker

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The tanker was stationary at the time preparing to make a U-turn heading for a gas depot. 

U-Turns should be well lit I would of thought.

Just don't drive at night.

Looking at the rear of tanker it does not seem to be of the best design to avoid damage from a shunt resulting in a spill so high up.

3 hours ago, Chazar said:

Seeing the  photo with benzene/gasoline/petrol  pouring out the back Id  be nowhere near that bomb waiting to go off. Just more appalling driving from the worst drivers in the world.

I like the way they do their u turns  by using half  the outer  lane to swing out wide which is totally unnecessary and half  blocks  or  fully  blocks  that outer  lane.

Combine all of that with the lack of  rear  lights, drivers who are already half  asleep and the mindset and this is the result...................dont bother with the "happens in other countries cack either" This is something Thailand excels at

This 

4 hours ago, alan grice said:

Thank You,we would never had guessed that.emoji67.pngemoji310.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Do you mean you would never HAVE guessed?

Also, there ARE tankers which transport gas as opposed to petroleum spirit. Calling it a gas tanker is patently incorrect.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

Pretty much the reason why so many buses are involved in accidents . I had a friend tell me he was on a bus in the middle of the day and the driver was asleep and when he mentioned it to a Thai she said its ok not worry about .

That just shows that they don't give a flying fritz about anything not even  Live, What happens is suppose to happen. Thai thinking at its best. 😩

Again more RTAS reported not surprised will be many more until they tighten and imply the roads laws . no one takes any notice of the speed limits and the amount of hrs worked by drivers 

14 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

Do you mean you would never HAVE guessed?

Also, there ARE tankers which transport gas as opposed to petroleum spirit. Calling it a gas tanker is patently incorrect.

who cares 

The tanker's rear lights look a bit dirty, like all the other lorries in Thailand !

• Like 1

The accident happened at a U-Turn.  If you drive anywhere in Thailand you know that large trucks rarely use the turn lane; and, nearly always are in the "passing lane" to allow them to make a wider turn. The buses pretty much live in that "passing lane".  Add that to narrow U-Turns, U-Turns used as parking spaces/food vending, darkness with a poorly lit road; and, you get these results.  

• Like 2

My condolences to the driver's family and I hope those injured recover soon. Could have been a lot more dead eh? The other evening I was driving around 70 km/h in an 80 limit zone and slowing as there were traffic lights ahead. A coach whizzed past as though I wasn't moving. It went straight through a red light (which had changed to green by the time I got there). Crazy driving!

U-Turns should be well lit I would of thought.

Just don't drive at night.
They very often are not well lit or well sign posted or well laid out...very dangerous on all accounts.
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

So the bus driver drive the bus sleeping? 

You believe this story? Impossible.

Yes i sure believe it! And i won't ever go in a thai bus again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff65 said:

I keep forgetting these crashes only occur in Thailand and not the rest of the world.

With plenty of judges available, I watch with interest in their findings into that crash. 👨‍⚖️👨‍⚖️👨‍⚖️👨‍⚖️👨‍⚖️👨‍⚖️

Crashes do happen all over the world.

Crashes of this nature and frequency - not so much. Not nearly as much. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sillyfool said:

come on give the guy a brake. maybe he did fall asleep after working a very long shift. 

It looks like he wouldn't have used the brake even if it had been given to him.