External screen when using laptop - recommendations

Speedo1968

Finding using a laptop screen difficult.

Am having problems with my eyesight, cause known.

I use glasses but my sight varies throughout the day.

Current Acer laptop screen is 15 inch. 

Not sure what the word is but cannot use outside in daylight as it reflects light and difficult to see anything.

Tried different glasses and background / foreground light still not clear enough.

I have tried adjusting screen size but loose too much text.
Have tried adjusting brightness still not enough clarity.

I mainly use at a desk.

I don't have / need a TV.

Can anyone suggest a good screen and size, and approximate price ?    Nothing too big as I would still like to use it at my desk.
Where would be the best place to buy in Khon Kaen ?

Couple of thoughts:

1. Find out what resolutions are supported by your laptop. That way you won't spend over the odds buying a higher res monitor;

2. Find out what ports the laptop has. Depending on its age, it may have HDMI or older port types. You can get adaptors if needed, but wise to buy a monitor that supports the output from you laptop.

3. Check what type of stand comes with monitor. Cheaper monitors often have poor stands, while.more expensive options will have multiple adjustments available to position the screen.

4. If you want to save up space and give yourself a great breadth of positioning options you could also buy a mounting arm which is connected to your desk. 

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could look at a Dell. Heir monitors are usually decent. Asus and Samsung also make some good models. Just look for reviews online. You can probably also buy online. The shop in Hua Hin that used to sponsor this forum is good.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Current Acer laptop screen is 15 inch. 

Not sure what the word is but cannot use outside in daylight as it reflects lig

Terrible glare displays.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Can anyone suggest a good screen and size, and approximate price ?    Nothing too big as I would still like to use it at my desk.
Where would be the best place to buy in Khon Kaen ?

From your post I guess a 24" monitor would suffice.

Buy a standard FullHD (1920x1080, 16:9 aspect ratio), antiglare (non reflecting), IPS panel.

You laptop has an HDMI output?

Prices starting from 3000 or so.

Expect like 5000.

In Khon Kaen.

More fancy: at Central Shopping there is PowerBuy and many others.

Less fancy: the die off "Tukcom" opposite Kosa Hotel.

55 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

Couple of thoughts:

1. Find out what resolutions are supported by your laptop. That way you won't spend over the odds buying a higher res monitor;

2. Find out what ports the laptop has. Depending on its age, it may have HDMI or older port types. You can get adaptors if needed, but wise to buy a monitor that supports the output from you laptop.

3. Check what type of stand comes with monitor. Cheaper monitors often have poor stands, while.more expensive options will have multiple adjustments available to position the screen.

4. If you want to save up space and give yourself a great breadth of positioning options you could also buy a mounting arm which is connected to your desk. 

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could look at a Dell. Heir monitors are usually decent. Asus and Samsung also make some good models. Just look for reviews online. You can probably also buy online. The shop in Hua Hin that used to sponsor this forum is good.

Many thanks for the useful advice and info

1. Make sure you use a non glare monitor (internally or externally)

2. Make sure you use a digital connection cable (if your notebook allows it). Old analogue outputs (blue) have lower quality

3. Be careful with the distance from your eyes to the monitor. Personally I can use a monitor without glasses maybe up to 50cm away or I can look at a big screen with glasses maybe 1m or more away. But any distance in between is not good for me - with or without glasses.

4. If possible position your monitor in a way that you don't get the sunlight on the screen but also not the sunlight in your face.

th?id=OIP.WyA2SBOtuvpXoHXzTAJrVgHaHa&pid

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Terrible glare displays.

From your post I guess a 24" monitor would suffice.

Buy a standard FullHD (1920x1080, 16:9 aspect ratio), antiglare (non reflecting), IPS panel.

You laptop has an HDMI output?

Prices starting from 3000 or so.

Expect like 5000.

In Khon Kaen.

More fancy: at Central Shopping there is PowerBuy and many others.

Less fancy: the die off "Tukcom" opposite Kosa Hotel.

Yes, laptop has HDMI output, I have cable/s too but not sure if they are from my previous laptop or the current one which is 3years+.    I read online that there are some pre/post 2014.   Will take my laptop and cables with me when I go to KK next time.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

1. Make sure you use a non glare monitor (internally or externally)

2. Make sure you use a digital connection cable (if your notebook allows it). Old analogue outputs (blue) have lower quality

3. Be careful with the distance from your eyes to the monitor. Personally I can use a monitor without glasses maybe up to 50cm away or I can look at a big screen with glasses maybe 1m or more away. But any distance in between is not good for me - with or without glasses.

4. If possible position your monitor in a way that you don't get the sunlight on the screen but also not the sunlight in your face.

th?id=OIP.WyA2SBOtuvpXoHXzTAJrVgHaHa&pid

Thanks for comments.   My previous Toshiba ( excellent keyboard ) was non-glare but machine died aged 3yrs 2mths; motherboard.  Couldn't find anyone will to repair, new motherboard about $200.  A daughter had one that was still going strong after 10 years.   My original machine was a Packard Bell.

The choices of laptop that had my basic requirements was not available so I went with Acer.

On 10/17/2019 at 2:30 PM, Isaanbiker said:

OP, you also have a magnifier. Please try that first and you might be okay. Please see screenshot

Screenshot (339).png

Thanks, did give it a go but found difficult to work with only part of a document etc showing.
The text size was excellent though.

On 10/17/2019 at 2:33 PM, Crossy said:

I have three 24" monitors on my desk, still not enough screen real-estate ????

Have a look here to see what's available and rough prices https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/monitors/

Can't help with where to buy (apart from Invade of course), but even Tesco (Power Buy) have decent monitors.

I got 3 32 inch ones all at 3840 x 2160   i think its enough.. but multiple monitors is always good.

Archived