Jomtien Imm Office dress code.

champers

I know this has been discussed on here before, but I did my 90 day report today and could not help noticing an inordinate amount of posters/signs in the office asking vistors to "Please dress appropriately", accompanied by photos showing what is inappropiate. The jist of things was no short shorts or skirts. I haven't noticed these signs before; I was in about 4 weeks ago to do my proof of funds.

Anyone had any negative feedback?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this has been discussed on here before, but I did my 90 day report today and could not help noticing an inordinate amount of posters/signs in the office asking vistors to "Please dress appropriately", accompanied by photos showing what is inappropiate. The jist of things was no short shorts or skirts. I haven't noticed these signs before; I was in about 4 weeks ago to do my proof of funds.
Anyone had any negative feedback?
I dress and behave the same way I dressed at home and / or in any other country when dealing with government offices...

Dress decent according to local rules, customs and traditions and behave nice and friendly no matter the mood of the government officer...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I dress like a Morris Dancer, complete with bells and the small ones around my ankles. It goes along with the dancing through hoops requirement!

I think the signs are aimed at the bar-girls the guys sometimes drag along to 'help'. 

7 minutes ago, mlkik said:

In Udon when visiting the Immigration office I wear a lime green mankini and leather sandals and white socks.

In Khon Kaen I would never go with less than my original Beach rd. Lacoste shirt.

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

In Khon Kaen I would never go with less than my original Beach rd. Lacoste shirt.

Khon Kaen Immigration are much more formal in their dress code so I do understand why you would make an extra effort with your appearance 555.

I can give you 1 (one) SMALL anecdote just as meaningless as all the other anecdotes around here. Note I said it for you: meaningless.

OK, I went to the retirement extension desk to show my bank book after the 3-month waiting period. As you may know, that bank book checking line, if there is one, is first come, first served. No queue numbers. The busy retirement papers-checking IOs multitask between checking retirement papers and now the bank books & papers. So you just stand around near the desk, conspicuously showing your bank book and waiting to be told to approach the IO whenever he/she makes time for you. Very informal, to say the least.

When I got to the desk, a Brit male was already standing and waiting in front of me dressed in the usual uniform: checked shirt hanging out over cargo shorts, sandals w/ socks, which, members insist, is just fine as long as "clean." Indeed the dress code sign merely refers to swimsuits and what looks to me like bicycle tights. Says nothing about the beloved cargo shorts, contrary to the many straw-man defenses here. And you see a lot of expats in the Immigration Office dressed exactly that way. Presumably most of them do get their stamps while feeling comfortable, not too hot.

However, "just fine" represents a personal opinion. Shorts & sandals aren't standard business dress in Thailand. Yes, the IO is a business office and it's all about business between you & them, not "fun." Maybe the IOs don't care; or maybe they do, if only unconsciously. Who knows for sure? But if I can help them feel predisposed to get me out of there quickly, I'm glad to help.

I have no idea how long he'd been waiting, but clearly he felt he was being ignored and unloved. In the course of the next 5 min or so, he started pacing back and forth, staring at the busy IO, and muttering. Finally he got disgusted, waved his book and papers, and abruptly left.

That left me up next. Surprisingly it took about 10 sec for the IO to look directly at me and say, "Moment!" He finished up the current retiree in a few minutes and invited me to present my papers. Glanced over them quickly and gave me the OK. "No receipt?" "Not need." "Jing jing? (smile)" "Jing jing (smile)."

Oh, maybe the Brit had somehow annoyed the IO before I got there. Maybe the IO felt bad he'd not paid sufficient attention to us bank books. Maybe the guy was at the wrong desk. Maybe it was just coincidence. But the only real difference I perceived between us was that I was wearing long pants, a nice golf shirt tucked in, and trainers, as I usually do whenever I go there.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

I can give you 1 (one) SMALL anecdote just as meaningless as all the other anecdotes around here. Note I said it for you: meaningless.

OK, I went to the retirement extension desk to show my bank book after the 3-month waiting period. As you may know, that bank book checking line, if there is one, is first come, first served. No queue numbers. The busy retirement papers-checking IOs multitask between checking retirement papers and now the bank books & papers. So you just stand around near the desk, conspicuously showing your bank book and waiting to be told to approach the IO whenever he/she makes time for you. Very informal, to say the least.

When I got to the desk, a Brit male was already standing and waiting in front of me dressed in the usual uniform: checked shirt hanging out over cargo shorts, sandals w/ socks, which, members insist, is just fine as long as "clean." Indeed the dress code sign merely refers to swimsuits and what looks to me like bicycle tights. Says nothing about the beloved cargo shorts, contrary to the many straw-man defenses here. And you see a lot of expats in the Immigration Office dressed exactly that way. Presumably most of them do get their stamps while feeling comfortable, not too hot.

However, "just fine" represents a personal opinion. Shorts & sandals aren't standard business dress in Thailand. Yes, the IO is a business office and it's all about business between you & them, not "fun." Maybe the IOs don't care; or maybe they do, if only unconsciously. Who knows for sure? But if I can help them feel predisposed to get me out of there quickly, I'm glad to help.

I have no idea how long he'd been waiting, but clearly he felt he was being ignored and unloved. In the course of the next 5 min or so, he started pacing back and forth, staring at the busy IO, and muttering. Finally he got disgusted, waved his book and papers, and abruptly left.

That left me up next. Surprisingly it took about 10 sec for the IO to look directly at me and say, "Moment!" He finished up the current retiree in a few minutes and invited me to present my papers. Glanced over them quickly and gave me the OK. "No receipt?" "Not need." "Jing jing? (smile)" "Jing jing (smile)."

Oh, maybe the Brit had somehow annoyed the IO before I got there. Maybe the IO felt bad he'd not paid sufficient attention to us bank books. Maybe the guy was at the wrong desk. Maybe it was just coincidence. But the only real difference I perceived between us was that I was wearing long pants, a nice golf shirt tucked in, and trainers, as I usually do whenever I go there.

That pretty much sums up the differences... 

Those who are of the belief that they are fine when making their own interpretation of these information regulations are oblivious to the the ease with which things can generally run if they just  colour within the lines... 

On 10/17/2019 at 11:27 PM, jacko45k said:

I dress like a Morris Dancer, complete with bells and the small ones around my ankles. It goes along with the dancing through hoops requirement!

I think the signs are aimed at the bar-girls the guys sometimes drag along to 'help'. 

For those who need clarification of how morris dancers dress.

Thais are so touchy.

If i were to dress in thailand as i do in my own country at govt offices or lawyers offices it would be the same as i dress in my house, shorts and tshirt with thongs (flip flops).

Thailand is special.

18 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Thailand is special.

Yes and no,

I stay regularly in Bangkok, and at lunchtime often walk around.

Interesting to see how staff of government and private offices, superstores are classy/innocuous dressed.

Bank staff wear usually a uniform.

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

A bit OT, I know, but if there's no need for a receipt then why bother going there in the first place with your bankbook as it's evidently not being recorded "in the system"?

10 minutes ago, Guderian said:

A bit OT, I know, but if there's no need for a receipt then why bother going there in the first place with your bankbook as it's evidently not being recorded "in the system"?

Fear, pure and simple. One has been told to show up, and if you don't there could be a repercussion next time you attend immigration, which would be when you need them to be feeling chipper towards you, as you are in dire need of an extension renewal. 

There is no written requirement to show proof after 3 months, and those who use agents do not have to bother at all.... an exercise in futility, but your time means little to them.

57 minutes ago, Guderian said:

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Fear, pure and simple. One has been told to show up, and if you don't there could be a repercussion next time you attend immigration, which would be when you need them to be feeling chipper towards you, as you are in dire need of an extension renewal. 

There is no written requirement to show proof after 3 months, and those who use agents do not have to bother at all.... an exercise in futility, but your time means little to them.

They record it on the copy they have (or keep yours), I cannot remember which, but do not give you anything back.

So there is actually a written form you have to sign at Jomtien but my understanding is it is not needed at most Immigration offices.

Archived