Jomtien Imm Office dress code.

champers

17 minutes ago, topt said:

They record it on the copy they have (or keep yours), I cannot remember which, but do not give you anything back.

So there is actually a written form you have to sign at Jomtien but my understanding is it is not needed at most Immigration offices.

yes

it's this one

book bank verification 3 mois 001.JPG

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Not that easy. 

Some don't understand that it is inappropriate to be dressed with beachwear at government offices. 

They don't understand if you explain why, either. 

Some people don't understand that it makes naff all difference. Has exactly the same sign at the Land and Transport office. Majority of Thais and ferangs turn up in shorts. Never seen anyone berated for it. Another urban myth perpetuated by TV.

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Some people don't understand that it makes naff all difference. Has exactly the same sign at the Land and Transport office. Majority of Thais and ferangs turn up in shorts. Never seen anyone berated for it. Another urban myth perpetuated by TV.

Show up dressed neatly and you're afforded a better level of respect.

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Some people don't understand that it makes naff all difference.

I am agree with you here, it makes no difference in the result.

One can go in beach attire to a funeral, the deceased will still be dead.

But mostly people don't, out of respect, for the  others, but certainly for oneself.

But some don't get this, and thus further debate is pointless with these.

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am agree with you here, it makes no difference in the result.

One can go in beach attire to a funeral, the deceased will still be dead.

But mostly people don't, out of respect, for the  others, but certainly for oneself.

But some don't get this, and thus further debate is pointless with these.

No I don't get it. Due defference to your elders and betters went out over a hundred years ago. Smart shorts, polo shirt and proper shoes (not trainers) in a tropical country is more than enough respect when visiting an overcrowded, poorly air conditioned IO during the day.

16 hours ago, BigStar said:

I perceived between us was that I was wearing long pants, a nice golf shirt tucked in, and trainers

Trainers are for gyms, or going for a run. I wouldn't go in a bar with trainers. And you criticise people for going to the IO in shorts? You're having a laugh.

8 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

No I don't get it... Smart shorts, polo shirt and proper shoes (not trainers) in a tropical country is more than enough

I am not agree, and can hardly respect your opinion.

Old School you know.

But we have both our ways, and both happy with it.

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Not that easy. 

Some don't understand that it is inappropriate to be dressed with beachwear at government offices. 

They don't understand if you explain why, either. 

are they just stupid? 

22 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

No I don't get it. Due defference to your elders and betters went out over a hundred years ago. Smart shorts, polo shirt and proper shoes (not trainers) in a tropical country is more than enough respect when visiting an overcrowded, poorly air conditioned IO during the day.

That was and still is 'business dress' in many hot countries, Singapore  being one of those, as are most Caribbean countries, except that the shirt is usually a short sleeved, business shirt, but no tie and worn with tailored shorts.  

7 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Personally I won't call that stupid,

but a "couldn't-care-less attitude".

They often go together. For example, I wouldn't employ a person who is so ignorant that they can't work out what is appropriate dress for attending a meeting, or a government office, even when they see posters and instructions on what is required. If that isn't a definition of being as thick as a brick, I don't know what is.  

On 10/25/2019 at 1:53 PM, bkk6060 said:

Just did my 90 day.

43 seconds in and out.

Armani suit, Stefano Ricci tie, Salvatore Ferrgamo shoes.

Was treated very very well and with smiles.

Thanks Jomtien immigration.

Unfortunately I also had to do a 90 day couple of weeks back.

10y old camel shorts, 8y old clarks sandals and some non-brand cheapo t-shirt. In and out in 32 seconds.

I think all that clothing slowed you down. 

On 10/27/2019 at 1:01 PM, BigStar said:

I can give you 1 (one) SMALL anecdote just as meaningless as all the other anecdotes around here. Note I said it for you: meaningless.

OK, I went to the retirement extension desk to show my bank book after the 3-month waiting period. As you may know, that bank book checking line, if there is one, is first come, first served. No queue numbers. The busy retirement papers-checking IOs multitask between checking retirement papers and now the bank books & papers. So you just stand around near the desk, conspicuously showing your bank book and waiting to be told to approach the IO whenever he/she makes time for you. Very informal, to say the least.

When I got to the desk, a Brit male was already standing and waiting in front of me dressed in the usual uniform: checked shirt hanging out over cargo shorts, sandals w/ socks, which, members insist, is just fine as long as "clean." Indeed the dress code sign merely refers to swimsuits and what looks to me like bicycle tights. Says nothing about the beloved cargo shorts, contrary to the many straw-man defenses here. And you see a lot of expats in the Immigration Office dressed exactly that way. Presumably most of them do get their stamps while feeling comfortable, not too hot.

However, "just fine" represents a personal opinion. Shorts & sandals aren't standard business dress in Thailand. Yes, the IO is a business office and it's all about business between you & them, not "fun." Maybe the IOs don't care; or maybe they do, if only unconsciously. Who knows for sure? But if I can help them feel predisposed to get me out of there quickly, I'm glad to help.

I have no idea how long he'd been waiting, but clearly he felt he was being ignored and unloved. In the course of the next 5 min or so, he started pacing back and forth, staring at the busy IO, and muttering. Finally he got disgusted, waved his book and papers, and abruptly left.

That left me up next. Surprisingly it took about 10 sec for the IO to look directly at me and say, "Moment!" He finished up the current retiree in a few minutes and invited me to present my papers. Glanced over them quickly and gave me the OK. "No receipt?" "Not need." "Jing jing? (smile)" "Jing jing (smile)."

Oh, maybe the Brit had somehow annoyed the IO before I got there. Maybe the IO felt bad he'd not paid sufficient attention to us bank books. Maybe the guy was at the wrong desk. Maybe it was just coincidence. But the only real difference I perceived between us was that I was wearing long pants, a nice golf shirt tucked in, and trainers, as I usually do whenever I go there.

I've read it all now. I am 58 clean shaven,no tattoos,and a polite manner (when I'm not on the Brexit threads !) and spend 3 months in Thailand every winter - thus I have to renew my 60 day visa at the Jomtien immigration office which is a nice 10 minute walk from our condo. I wear (clean) cargo shorts, a shirt and 'desert wellies' with no socks and have had no problems with being treated bruskly or in a bad manner. I wear said clothing because it is comfortable and stops me overheating or sweating as we like to walk a lot and/or get the baht bus. After all I am on a tourist visa spending my debauched money in the LoS. Since I'm not here to do business or impress anyone wearing what I feel comfortable in seems to be the least of my worries. 

At ease.......

Related image

32 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Since I'm not here to do business or impress anyone wearing what I feel comfortable in seems to be the least of my worries. 

At ease.......

But... IF You have business at an Immigration Office, or for that matter any other formal office building you are expected to respect the establishment and those working there. 

Those who do not know this or deliberately ignore this are lightly to be of sufficiently inadequate awareness to notice that they are treated with less than general indifference. 

For those sticking to the script life is often much easier. 

An Immigration office is not a Walmart or a McDonalds on beach road - it is a place of officialdom, a place of business. 

------

For the most part in Thailand we (as westerners) are not treated any differently from the Thai's, in many cases I find that we are treated more positively, or at least with the same level of indifference Thai's treat each other. But once we start to go 'off script' things change and we may give someone an excuse to make things more difficult. 

I found this out at the DLT a couple of years ago, I was getting my Motorcycle license. I'd turned up in shorts, when I entered the 'test room' (colorblindness, proximity, reaction tests) I was told that I couldn't continue and had to leave because I was wearing shorts. I was noticed. The DLT officer did not notice or pay attention to the 3 other Thai guys also wearing shorts until I pointed them out, asking if they have to leave too ???? the DLT officer  let it slide. However, I didn't, I went out to my car and changed into a spare pair of trousers that I'd brought just in case.

Upon returning, the lady noticed and things ran very smoothly for me from there on in. 

Now, the lady didn't care about the Thai guys wearing shorts, however, I got the impression that this DLT officer thought a foreigner wearing shorts was some sort of 'slight' to her culture etc and she acted upon that perceived slight. I imagine that Immigration may view the situation in the same manner. 

How we are treated on an individual basis varies down to the individual and is often based on more than our dress ,but, for someone in an official position teetering on the brink of xenophobia not giving them any excuse to make life inconvenient is the best course of action no matter how our ego wants to 'win'.

Stick to the script, ski on piste, colour within the lines... or whatever metaphor you may wish to use to make life easier for yourself and remove the question of whether or not you will face additional inconvenience because you have either accidentally or deliberately been ignorant. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But... IF You have business at an Immigration Office, or for that matter any other formal office building you are expected to respect the establishment and those working there. 

Those who do not know this or deliberately ignore this are lightly to be of sufficiently inadequate awareness to notice that they are treated with less than general indifference. 

For those sticking to the script life is often much easier. 

An Immigration office is not a Walmart or a McDonalds on beach road - it is a place of officialdom, a place of business. 

------

For the most part in Thailand we (as westerners) are not treated any differently from the Thai's, in many cases I find that we are treated more positively, or at least with the same level of indifference Thai's treat each other. But once we start to go 'off script' things change and we may give someone an excuse to make things more difficult. 

I found this out at the DLT a couple of years ago, I was getting my Motorcycle license. I'd turned up in shorts, when I entered the 'test room' (colorblindness, proximity, reaction tests) I was told that I couldn't continue and had to leave because I was wearing shorts. I was noticed. The DLT officer did not notice or pay attention to the 3 other Thai guys also wearing shorts until I pointed them out, asking if they have to leave too ???? the DLT officer  let it slide. However, I didn't, I went out to my car and changed into a spare pair of trousers that I'd brought just in case.

Upon returning, the lady noticed and things ran very smoothly for me from there on in. 

Now, the lady didn't care about the Thai guys wearing shorts, however, I got the impression that this DLT officer thought a foreigner wearing shorts was some sort of 'slight' to her culture etc and she acted upon that perceived slight. I imagine that Immigration may view the situation in the same manner. 

How we are treated on an individual basis varies down to the individual and is often based on more than our dress ,but, for someone in an official position teetering on the brink of xenophobia not giving them any excuse to make life inconvenient is the best course of action no matter how our ego wants to 'win'.

Stick to the script, ski on piste, colour within the lines... or whatever metaphor you may wish to use to make life easier for yourself and remove the question of whether or not you will face additional inconvenience because you have either accidentally or deliberately been ignorant. 

And the moral of that tale is these morons don't deserve any respect. DLT near Pattaya perchance?

17 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Show up dressed neatly and you're afforded a better level of respect.

Just above none whatsoever? 

You are all mad... we are retirees and tourists attending a crowded poorly air-conditioned office where we are made to sit and wait, or even queue up in a line outside in a car park to even get in, whatever the weather! Not bloody HP printer cartridge salesmen. 

44 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Nothing wrong with showing a bit of class by wearing long pants and shoes. The Thais usually wear the required clothing why can't the farang do same.

If some of the old boys wore their medal ribbons  like the Thais would that be respected or taken as belittling them? 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If some of the old boys wore their medal ribbons  like the Thais would that be respected or taken as belittling them? 

Didn't see any medals being worn, but hey if you want to score some points wear your dress blues with medals.

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Didn't see any medals being worn, but hey if you want to score some points wear your dress blues with medals.

Dunno about that, a lot of the customers look barely attached to sanity as it is, and heaven forbid the Germans get their uniforms out and start goose stepping in there. 

I don't think westerners in cargo shorts, singlet, socks and sandals should even be let into shopping malls, they are an embarrassment all dressed in the same scruffy could not be bothered look. Immigration should certainly send them home.

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I don't think westerners in cargo shorts, singlet, socks and sandals should even be let into shopping malls, they are an embarrassment all dressed in the same scruffy could not be bothered look. Immigration should certainly send them home.

Definately agree with you on the socks. Socks and sandals, how very dare they?

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

There we go, tourism ruined and racism applied at the mall doors all in a single swipe. 

57 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Thanks for the replies, at least I'll know now not to chuck that form away when I do my next extension in early December.

Interesting they appear to have added the bit on the bottom left (90 Days bank Checking) since I renewed my extension in April. 

On 10/28/2019 at 12:45 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Trainers are for gyms, or going for a run. I wouldn't go in a bar with trainers. And you criticise people for going to the IO in shorts? You're having a laugh.

Clean expensive trainers. ???? But lemme explain the theory, as so many have their knickers all in a twist.

For the IO, most of the idiots he has to deal with are wearing The Uniform: checked shirt that looks purchased preowned at the East End Thrift Store, shirt tail hanging out (no doubt to partly cover the pregnancy), cargo shorts, and sandals with socks. And as with dress, so with the paperwork: our slob has more likely determined for himself what’s appropriate and all that should be needed. That means paperwork more likely sloppy, more in need of more careful checking for missing copies, for the appropriately dated letter, updated bank book, signatures, phone numbers, TM30. The clueless always seem in need of relieving of their excess cash.

I prefer the predisposition, perhaps unconscious, that this neat respectful guy more likely has everything in order, needs only superficial checking, and needs his passport quickly stamped without his needing to be relieved of any extra cash. Recently I had to get a Certificate Of Residence. That went smoothly without my being asked for the TM30 I didn’t bother to file after my trip outside LOS this year. Coincidence? Maybe, like the fast service w/ the bank book check. We’ll see if I’m asked for it at renewal time.

Ignoring our little clowns here, the idea isn’t to wear more formal business dress. IMO, that’s overkill. I’d wear at least a business shirt (with long sleeves) if I had a work permit now and was dealing w/ Immigration about more involved business-related paperwork.

For a tourist or retiree, though, it’s enough I think simply to be only a little more respectful to break the idiot stereotype. Hence long pants > shorts, golf shirt  tucked > thrift shop checked shirt out, trainers > sandals. In other words, one level of upgrade that doesn’t bother me in the least. When you approach the IO’s desk he/she notices mainly the shirt & pants, not the shoes. Oh, and the haircut. ????

Now I don’t think this of great importance, as I said in my original post. If it were, the sign in the IO would so state. If to get out of uniform would overheat your delicate self and offend your sense of worth as a scion of the British Empire or of the Commonwealth of Australia, offend their national values, and threaten their sovereignty, then by all means don’t. The sign, as I’ve noted, implies no threat whatsoever to your cargo shorts. Implications that it does, in all those bold, contemptuous acts of defiance of a non-existent rule, merely represent just the usual huffing and puffing.

Archived