Jomtien Imm Office dress code.

champers

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I don't think westerners in cargo shorts, singlet, socks and sandals should even be let into shopping malls, they are an embarrassment all dressed in the same scruffy could not be bothered look. Immigration should certainly send them home.

Nobody should step outside without a five piece suit and a fresh haircut. And they should be speaking proper Queen's English only. Monocle is obligatory. 

Should an IO treat you badly, while dressed in such attire, it'll be proper to bitchslap him with your white fancy gloves and meet at dawn for a duel. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Clean expensive trainers. ???? But lemme explain the theory, as so many have their knickers all in a twist.

For the IO, most of the idiots he has to deal with are wearing The Uniform: checked shirt that looks purchased preowned at the East End Thrift Store, shirt tail hanging out (no doubt to partly cover the pregnancy), cargo shorts, and sandals with socks. And as with dress, so with the paperwork: our slob has more likely determined for himself what’s appropriate and all that should be needed. That means paperwork more likely sloppy, more in need of more careful checking for missing copies, for the appropriately dated letter, updated bank book, signatures, phone numbers, TM30. The clueless always seem in need of relieving of their excess cash.

I prefer the predisposition, perhaps unconscious, that this neat respectful guy more likely has everything in order, needs only superficial checking, and needs his passport quickly stamped without his needing to be relieved of any extra cash. Recently I had to get a Certificate Of Residence. That went smoothly without my being asked for the TM30 I didn’t bother to file after my trip outside LOS this year. Coincidence? Maybe, like the fast service w/ the bank book check. We’ll see if I’m asked for it at renewal time.

Ignoring our little clowns here, the idea isn’t to wear more formal business dress. IMO, that’s overkill. I’d wear at least a business shirt (with long sleeves) if I had a work permit now and was dealing w/ Immigration about more involved business-related paperwork.

For a tourist or retiree, though, it’s enough I think simply to be only a little more respectful to break the idiot stereotype. Hence long pants > shorts, golf shirt  tucked > thrift shop checked shirt out, trainers > sandals. In other words, one level of upgrade that doesn’t bother me in the least. When you approach the IO’s desk he/she notices mainly the shirt & pants, not the shoes. Oh, and the haircut. ????

Now I don’t think this of great importance, as I said in my original post. If it were, the sign in the IO would so state. If to get out of uniform would overheat your delicate self and offend your sense of worth as a scion of the British Empire or of the Commonwealth of Australia, offend their national values, and threaten their sovereignty, then by all means don’t. The sign, as I’ve noted, implies no threat whatsoever to your cargo shorts. Implications that it does, in all those bold, contemptuous acts of defiance of a non-existent rule, merely represent just the usual huffing and puffing.

Thank God my cargo shorts are not under threat - that said I do get your point. We should have a Pattaya Dress Poll Vote to see what the 'will of the people' really is !!

Image result for farang pattaya

14 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

And the moral of that tale is these morons don't deserve any respect. DLT near Pattaya perchance?

When the attitude is "These people don't deserve my respect" the ensuing problems, hiccups and issues can be expected, because, equally so, the people don't deserve the respect of those working in the offices they've been disrespectful of.... this is where the issues can potentially start. 

Someone enter's a Government office with a clear display of lack of respect, what should they expect in return? 

Some people just don't get it - it's so much easier just to play along than to resist and play the wannabe cultural anarchist. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When the attitude is "These people don't deserve my respect" the ensuing problems, hiccups and issues can be expected, because, equally so, the people don't deserve the respect of those working in the offices they've been disrespectful of.... this is where the issues can potentially start. 

Someone enter's a Government office with a clear display of lack of respect, what should they expect in return? 

Some people just don't get it - it's so much easier just to play along than to resist and play the wannabe cultural anarchist. 

In all my years here, I can honestly say that I've never had a single problem with IOs. It has zero to do with how I dress and everything to do with how I approach them. Smiles and jokes will get you everywhere.

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In face of authoritarianism anarchy is the solution. Next time I shall do the 90days naked and oiled, ready for a Greek wrestling match.

I like how Thai Elite does it. A young gold clad bird picks you up from gate and leads you through the gauntlet of grumpy IOs while I'm wearing my favourite comfy flight gear. That's the service level I expect as a paying customer of Thailand, Inc.

Civil servants on a power trip can go shove it for all I care.

12 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

In face of authoritarianism anarchy is the solution. Next time I shall do the 90days naked and oiled, ready for a Greek wrestling match.

I like how Thai Elite does it. A young gold clad bird picks you up from gate and leads you through the gauntlet of grumpy IOs while I'm wearing my favourite comfy flight gear. That's the service level I expect as a paying customer of Thailand, Inc.

Civil servants on a power trip can go shove it for all I care.

Aw gawd...   The level of service you expect as a paying customer of Thailand... Civil servants on a power trip ??? Who's on the power trip exactly? 

It seems the ego and stubbornness of some prevents them from seeing a bigger picture, step back, relaxing and simply getting along. How hard is it to put on a pair of trousers and make yourself look presentable?

Some guys are like children, they haven't got out of their teens are are continually ruled by their juvenile egos... Grow up and just roll with the flow - life is much easier that way. 

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Aw gawd...   The level of service you expect as a paying customer of Thailand... Civil servants on a power trip ??? Who's on the power trip exactly? 

I would say it certainly happens. We have many reports of IOs at the airport yelling at people and certainly talking down to them. Thankfully fewer in domestic offices. And anyone denying an occasional element of xenophobia and superiority in the locals here must be living somewhere else. And then, you dress them up in a uniform. 

i no has newer seen any immigration need be good shirt and long sleeve trouses, all can go in to short toures and T-shirt, no newer has problem whit visa what clothes have. idiot believe need be have fine clothes. i has live in thailand winter season (8 month about north europe season have) last 30 year and now 7 year retiree 1 year visa and newer not has any problem what clothes have. or were living or bank account, need only before visa 3´+1 day, i go before just 90 day has bank money no can make visa img offices say tomorrow can, wery idiot has. and need make new bank account paper again next day. <deleted> idiot img have. ALL this procedure no need, anywere other country all world no have idiot monkey law img, only thailand live than have jungle monkey today. month have in bank and after has need when go back take stamped passport img looking bank account paper again, ewerytime need go to bank make new paper,

Immigration don't seem to understand that Thailand is a very hot country and many of us come from cold countries so sweat a lot more than Thais, so I'm not wearing trousers or a long sleeve shirt. I'll make an effort with shorts and polo shirt.

I'd like Immigration to be helpful and friendly, what's the chances of them making an effort with that?

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Immigration don't seem to understand that Thailand is a very hot country and many of us come from cold countries so sweat a lot more than Thais, so I'm not wearing trousers or a long sleeve shirt. I'll make an effort with shorts and polo shirt.

I'd like Immigration to be helpful and friendly, what's the chances of them making an effort with that?

Immigration have always been helpful and friendly with me. I used to have the same dress code as you but have recently taken to going in my trans outfit, twinset and pearls. Impressive.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You are asking why can't the Immigration be helpful and friendly in the same post as you are objecting to meeting their request for what they consider polite dress.

Immigration are polite, helpful and friendly - at least they always have been with me, could it be the manner in which I present myself?

Is a regular short sleeved polo and trousers so much for you that you worry about overheating?

Personally, I think people can look smart in shorts and a polo, personally, I think this is sufficient, but I'm not an Immigration Officer - life is easier when not going against the grain. 

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I would say it certainly happens. We have many reports of IOs at the airport yelling at people and certainly talking down to them. Thankfully fewer in domestic offices. And anyone denying an occasional element of xenophobia and superiority in the locals here must be living somewhere else. And then, you dress them up in a uniform. 

Who are they shouting at exactly?

Idiots who turn up with dressed disrespectfully, with an arrogant attitude and then arguing that their crappy paperwork is enough?

Because, the people who turn up with the all the required paperwork in order, dressed appropriately generally find themselves at the very least treated quite normally. 

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

When dealing with the general public, or in banks, malls etc I find that more often than not I am treated with greater deference than that afforded to Thai's. At the very least I am treated with the same degree of indifference with which Thai's treat each other. 

I'm sure xenophobia exists in some and it can surface when given a chance, but much of that depends purely on our behavior, approach, attitudes, appearance etc... 

The negativity expressed towards Thai's on this forum by far exceeds the negativity I have ever encountered from Thai's towards foreigners. 

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And anyone denying an occasional element of xenophobia and superiority in the locals here must be living somewhere else. And then, you dress them up in a uniform. 

Anyone denying a common, rather than occasional, element of xenophobia and superiority in the farangs here must be living somewhere else. And then, you dress them down in a pre-owned thrift shop checked shirt hanging out, cargo pants, and sandals uniform.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Immigration don't seem to understand that Thailand is a very hot country and many of us come from cold countries so sweat a lot more than Thais

They understand that cold countries have hot summers every year to which residents adjust quite nicely unless they're too well insulated by extraneous blubber. So Immigration encourages our cold country snowflakes to sweat more in the gyms before they belly up to the IO desks.

Fortunately, drinking water is both cheap and plentiful in Thailand. The Immigration office has had air conditioning for quite some time. One might carry along a bandana--and a folding hand fan like the ladies of old.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

At the very least I am treated with the same degree of indifference with which Thai's treat each other. 

That's my goal. I don't bite their head off, they don't bite my head off. Good enough. But if they insist on me to wear a suit, it's heads for breakfast. Nobody has though, only the victorian defenders of proper British attire at TVF, most likely the same anal ones that went to grammar schools to graduate as grammar nazis. Thais are fine with shorts and t-shirts. 

26 minutes ago, DrTuner said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

At the very least I am treated with the same degree of indifference with which Thai's treat each other. 

That's my goal. I don't bite their head off, they don't bite my head off. Good enough. But if they insist on me to wear a suit, it's heads for breakfast. Nobody has though, only the victorian defenders of proper British attire at TVF, most likely the same anal ones that went to grammar schools to graduate as grammar nazis. Thais are fine with shorts and t-shirts. 

There is a lot of hyperbolae on this subject from people presenting completely unbalanced arguments against a very simple request for people to be respectful of the institution they are attending and wear trousers (and for women to cover their shoulders). 

Thats it, just trousers, not a full on suit or some of the other items of clothing posters have used to exaggerate their disagreement (in doing so presenting significant lack of intelligent balance). 

Yes, it may be considered somewhat antiquated and victorian, but look at offices in the UK, similar unwritten dress codes are also followed. Of course, this is an unfair comparison but it highlights where these 'codes' originate - when visiting these offices we are visiting the business / official world, its not about respecting the individuals working there, its about respecting the institution on a whole. 

On 10/29/2019 at 1:23 PM, richard_smith237 said:

It seems the ego and stubbornness of some prevents them from seeing a bigger picture, step back, relaxing and simply getting along. How hard is it to put on a pair of trousers and make yourself look presentable?

Some guys are like children, they haven't got out of their teens are are continually ruled by their juvenile egos... Grow up and just roll with the flow - life is much easier that way. 

NO  - I shall not wear your trousers. As a compromise what about these with socks and smart clean trainers. 

Image result for half trousers

On 10/28/2019 at 6:36 AM, Pilotman said:

They often go together. For example, I wouldn't employ a person who is so ignorant that they can't work out what is appropriate dress for attending a meeting, or a government office, even when they see posters and instructions on what is required. If that isn't a definition of being as thick as a brick, I don't know what is.  

Civil servants should be both that - civil and servant of the people. It's quite different if it's a business meeting as you want some advantage from the transaction. Here we are paying for a service. As they say in Thailand - up to me. 

12 hours ago, finnishmen said:

i no has newer seen any immigration need be good shirt and long sleeve trouses, all can go in to short toures and T-shirt, no newer has problem whit visa what clothes have. idiot believe need be have fine clothes. i has live in thailand winter season (8 month about north europe season have) last 30 year and now 7 year retiree 1 year visa and newer not has any problem what clothes have. or were living or bank account, need only before visa 3´+1 day, i go before just 90 day has bank money no can make visa img offices say tomorrow can, wery idiot has. and need make new bank account paper again next day. <deleted> idiot img have. ALL this procedure no need, anywere other country all world no have idiot monkey law img, only thailand live than have jungle monkey today. month have in bank and after has need when go back take stamped passport img looking bank account paper again, ewerytime need go to bank make new paper,

If I could understand what you have written I would no doubt agree with you. That said your English is a million times better than my Finnish. Or as they say in Thailand finit. ????????

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is a lot of hyperbolae on this subject from people presenting completely unbalanced arguments against a very simple request for people to be respectful of the institution they are attending and wear trousers (and for women to cover their shoulders). 

Thats it, just trousers, not a full on suit or some of the other items of clothing posters have used to exaggerate their disagreement (in doing so presenting significant lack of intelligent balance). 

Yes, it may be considered somewhat antiquated and victorian, but look at offices in the UK, similar unwritten dress codes are also followed. Of course, this is an unfair comparison but it highlights where these 'codes' originate - when visiting these offices we are visiting the business / official world, its not about respecting the individuals working there, its about respecting the institution on a whole. 

Your point about offices would apply to employees customers at government offices would be a free for all. 

3 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

NO  - I shall not wear your trousers. As a compromise what about these with socks and smart clean trainers. 

Image result for half trousers

Don't ask me about the compromise... ask Immigration if they will compromise on turning a blind eye because you don't want to follow their request to show respect to their institution and not wear shorts but still expect to be treated with respect.

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who are they shouting at exactly?

Idiots who turn up with dressed disrespectfully, with an arrogant attitude and then arguing that their crappy paperwork is enough?

Because, the people who turn up with the all the required paperwork in order, dressed appropriately generally find themselves at the very least treated quite normally. 

Well no actually. In the cases I cited people turning up with Tourist Visas who Thai immigration did not wish to admit at the airport. I have no reason to believe they initiated any confrontation.

I agree anyone acting arrogantly when applying for their extension deserves short shrift, but it is not the business of the IO to berate. If inappropriately dressed, send them away to correct it. Turning up with the correct paperwork is difficult, it changes frequently, varies between officers, and some seriously just appear to want to mess you about for self gratification or to drive you towards a bribe. But mostly, Jomtien, is good to me.

I must be one of the few who doesn't mind my twice yearly 90 day report and twice yearly re-entry permit application trip to immigration, admittedly it's only a 15 minute walk for me. For many of the reasons cited above I find 10 seated minutes observing the multinational microcosm of Pattaya's finest and their interactions with the IO's to be quite entertaining. Last 90 day report a month ago the relatively sparsely populated office was brought to a hush with much head craning by an elderly American and an IO getting into a prolonged raised voice exchange, clearly the American had lost by that stage.

On topic, for me its a pair of Dockers trousers, Timberland loafers and a lightweight collared polo shirt with the Thai national football team crest on it. Makes a pleasant change to get dressed up once in a while. 

Did a 90 day report yesterday, wore sensible smart shorts pressed and ironed smart shirt.

Got ticket 177 from the counter, the number above the desk showed 176 hardly had time to sit down. Very nice lady in a smart blue dress did the paperwork for me and I was out in under two minutes. :smile:

31 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Did a 90 day report yesterday, wore sensible smart shorts pressed and ironed smart shirt.

Got ticket 177 from the counter, the number above the desk showed 176 hardly had time to sit down. Very nice lady in a smart blue dress did the paperwork for me and I was out in under two minutes. :smile:

Overdressed for that desk.

12 minutes ago, fhickson said:

the op looks like <deleted> with hiz bare feet sandalz and t zhiet.

put on a pair of sneakers and a shirt with a collar and a white undershirt. you will feel like a new man again instead of z beach flea!

I always wear brothel creepers to immigration. far smarter than sneakers.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:43 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Don't ask me about the compromise... ask Immigration if they will compromise on turning a blind eye because you don't want to follow their request to show respect to their institution and not wear shorts but still expect to be treated with respect.

Well last time I went in in 'the uniform' for the wife to do a TM 30 for our condo and to get a 1 month extension on my 2 month tourist visa it was all very smooth and without any discrimination I could see. It was quite amusing to see all the pent up anger in particular from Ruskies who had overstayed or were trying to communicate to Thai officials in very broken English for what they needed. The (female) officials in the side room seemed quite patient and fairly tolerant of these guys who weren't the best dressed or most polite examples of the 'farang'. Maybe a lot of this is confirmation bias is in your head in that you see and experience what you want to see. That said 3 months and I'm done , I'm in  a good mood for all of my stay, have time , am patient and enjoy the journey and experiences that I encounter and see the visit to immigration as a live piece of 'immersive theater' of which I'm a part.  They should have a paid ticketed air-conditioned viewing gallery with a bar and comfortable seats it certainly is one of the 'secret' sites worth seeing if you love people watching. 

Archived