UK PM Johnson agrees 'great' new Brexit deal with EU

webfact

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Breaking Labour will vote this deal if there is a confirmatory referendum - this deal vs Remain on the ballot paper. 

Don't we all think, enough's enough? As the people have already demonstrated, they know sod all about what's best for Britain - and whatever their faults it's our sovereign parliament who are elected to decide that, not the population. 

Providing Labour MPs are granted a 'free' vote, IMO, the deal would pass through. 

1 minute ago, samran said:

The difference is Boris gets to be PM first, then all of a sudden the deal is totally agreeable. 

Because he's a male might be a consideration, also. While the UK is supposed to be PC in regard to the sexes, I doubt parliament's old boys network abide by that. More so, because May tried to emulate Thatcher - which probably led to her demise.    

4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Because he's a male might be a consideration, also. While the UK is supposed to be PC in regard to the sexes, I doubt parliament's old boys network abide by that. More so, because May tried to emulate Thatcher - which probably led to her demise.    

Eton boys , strange handshakes and biscuit parties and burning 50 quid notes in front of homeless people for a larf. St Theresa wouldn't know or approve of any of that. 

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

At long last. And tell the DUP to go and stuff themselves, if they freaking don't like it. IMO, enough Labour MPs and LD will support the deal for johnson to gain a majority. He's got Friday to gain their support possibly by stating it's just a first step to prosperity where everyone would benefit in the long run. A Unicorn world.

As for a 2nd referendum, forget it as the 'the people' have already demonstrated they know zilch about the cost of tea in China.  

Name one Liberal Democrat who would vote for this deal?

The deal will pass, subject to a second referendum ... otherwise it will not get through.

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Don’t get too excited, we’ve none of us seen the deal yet.

Only fools and horses would want to see it. Just accept it and move on.  Why? because it's a compromise which is about as it's good as it's going to get even if brexit was prolonged for eternity. Forget ideology and stick to real life challenges - the ones that affect most of the population.. 

Just now, AlexRich said:

The deal will pass, subject to a second referendum ... otherwise it will not get through.

Correct and let's pass the photo-id legislation whilst were at it a significant portion of the Leave vote don't have driving licences or passports so we can disenfranchise them at a stroke. 

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

Only fools and horses would want to see it. Just accept it and move on.  Why? because it's a compromise which is about as it's good as it's going to get even if brexit was prolonged for eternity. Forget ideology and stick to real life challenges - the ones that affect most of the population.. 

Revoke, remain and move on. Enough is enough. 

1 minute ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Correct and let's pass the photo-id legislation whilst were at it a significant portion of the Leave vote don't have driving licences or passports so we can disenfranchise them at a stroke. 

Thankfully, quite a few of them have had a stroke ... so the confirmatory referendum attached to Boris's deal will be fun.

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

We'll see, won't we. You can bet your bottom dollar that the rise in the pound was not solely to do with expectation or speculation, but insider knowledge had a hand in it. 

Now parliament should get Brexit done on Saturday so we can move on to other priorities like the cost of living, the NHS, violent crime and our environment."

Dream on , parliament crossed the event horizon a ways back.

15 minutes ago, samran said:

The difference is Boris gets to be PM first, then all of a sudden the deal is totally agreeable. 

Yes, the difference is that it took solid leadership to convince the EU we were leaving regardless. The EU dragged their heels all this time and took it right to the wire, letting us out only when they had punished us enough for the uncertainty and were finally convinced that we are going to leave.

In other words, we have endured years of hell entirely because of the remainers' ceaseless and pusillanimous tantrum that fuelled the EU's desperate hope that it wouldn't happen. The remainers have undermined British political integrity all along with an unequalled exhibition of utterly grotesque and unbritish behaviour.

Well done Boris. I would rather get out without any compromises at all, but in the circumstances let's just get out and watch the EU crumple.

7 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I suspect the people who are impacted by the deal would like to see it.

4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

The realism is that it could never happen. Too much water has passed under the bridge to even hope for that. 

There are no sure bets when it comes to Brexit ! Any the deal is the just the beginning of a huge amount of effort , red tape, shadowing EU rules for deals still more wasted time to be worse off than we were. 

2 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

There are no sure bets when it comes to Brexit ! Any the deal is the just the beginning of a huge amount of effort , red tape, shadowing EU rules for deals still more wasted time to be worse off than we were. 

That's for the UK government to resolve, not the people who are probably fed up to their bottom teeth with brexit. 

Apparently May and Johnson both had briefings from the heads of the securities services and Northern Ireland police that intelligence strongly suggested that any infrastructure built either in NI or the Republic or any lorry checks in event of a No Deal would be magnet for recruitment and revival of the IRA - he is reported to have blanched when told he would be responsible for that should it happen. No Deal from the tories was off from then and forever. 

1 minute ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Probably time to retire from the Brexit threads then as this is entering The Mousetrap territory. 

Why is there so much negativity on this forum? A British trait, I suspect. Sitting on bar stools bemoaning about anything that is flavour of the month. If and when johnson succeeds, people will forget everything and move on to other topics in a few days.  

Hopefully, climate change.

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So you preferred May?

I quite prefer Boris actually, much more of an entertaining clown show.

But you missed my point, he opposed essentially the same deal as a way to undermine May and get him to PM. Now he’s PM, the deal is all of a sudden ‘great’.

5 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Why is there so much negativity on this forum? A British trait, I suspect. Sitting on bar stools bemoaning about anything that is flavour of the month. If and when johnson succeeds, people will forget everything and move on to other topics in a few days.  

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/16/at-first-accepted-brexit-now-clear-must-not-leave-eu

5 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

No barstool here am on sofa watching all this on a 65" TV. Anyway I will hold Johnson to his promise 'to leave the EU by October 31st' or die in a ditch. 

Image result for boris die in a ditch

Just now, samran said:

I quite prefer Boris actually, much more of an entertaining clown show.

But you missed my point, he opposed essentially the same deal as a way to undermine May and get him to PM. Now he’s PM, the deal is all of a sudden ‘great’.

Nope, you are wrong .

Boris rejected Mays deal unless She made real change to the Irish backstop question .

Now Boris has made changes to the backstop .

Boris has a new different deal to Mays previous proposals 

22 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Yes, the difference is that it took solid leadership to convince the EU we were leaving regardless. The EU dragged their heels all this time and took it right to the wire, letting us out only when they had punished us enough for the uncertainty and were finally convinced that we are going to leave.

In other words, we have endured years of hell entirely because of the remainers' ceaseless and pusillanimous tantrum that fuelled the EU's desperate hope that it wouldn't happen. The remainers have undermined British political integrity all along with an unequalled exhibition of utterly grotesque and unbritish behaviour.

Well done Boris. I would rather get out without any compromises at all, but in the circumstances let's just get out and watch the EU crumple.

Strange comment since this deal seems quite similar to May's deal. And May's deal was rejected by UK, not EU.

I think it is more related to 'leave now with this deal or without one', I don't think many really want a new extension.

Archived