UK PM Johnson agrees 'great' new Brexit deal with EU

webfact

Can one of you who has actually studied this "deal" explain it to me? I am neither a UK citizen nor a citizen of the EU, so I have little skin in the game other than that our company has a significant number of customers in the UK and if the GBP falls off a cliff it is going to hurt. But I just can't understand how this "deal" will work. From what I have read, Boris needs all 10 DUP ministers and at least 8 Labour ministers to support this in order to get it passed over the ones who have already flat out said they will reject any deal.

But at the same time, I read that Boris has completely capitulated to the EU over the issue of VAT, and agreed that NI will be taxed at the EU rates independent of the rest of the country.  This is baffling to me.  Since he absolutely has to have DUP support in order to get this passed, this seems totally counter productive. Why would any DUP minister support a deal that penalizes them with potentially higher taxes than the rest of the country? Lowering VAT is one of the easiest ways a country can stimulate its economy. It is almost inconceivable to me the UK won't use this lever when the economy starts going south (and let's be honest, the whole global economy is heading to the dumpster).  How could anyone in the DUP then, agree to punish their residents in this manner? It just doesn't seem to me there is a snowball's chance in H-E-double toothpicks that this can pass, as without the DUP this whole thing goes nowhere. Why would the EU even request something like this?

Have I completely missed something here? Is there some kind of VAT refund in the deal that will be offered to NI residents?  I would love to hear a coherent analysis on how the current deal can possibly work? Anyone? As I said, I don't have a direct stake in this fight, but the whole world will be affected by the changes to the currency markets. Just trying to figure out what prevantative measures are necessary.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can one of you who has actually studied this "deal" explain it to me? I am neither a UK citizen nor a citizen of the EU, so I have little skin in the game other than that our company has a significant number of customers in the UK and if the GBP falls off a cliff it is going to hurt. But I just can't understand how this "deal" will work. From what I have read, Boris needs all 10 DUP ministers and at least 8 Labour ministers to support this in order to get it passed over the ones who have already flat out said they will reject any deal.

But at the same time, I read that Boris has completely capitulated to the EU over the issue of VAT, and agreed that NI will be taxed at the EU rates independent of the rest of the country.  This is baffling to me.  Since he absolutely has to have DUP support in order to get this passed, this seems totally counter productive. Why would any DUP minister support a deal that penalizes them with potentially higher taxes than the rest of the country? Lowering VAT is one of the easiest ways a country can stimulate its economy. It is almost inconceivable to me the UK won't use this lever when the economy starts going south (and let's be honest, the whole global economy is heading to the dumpster).  How could anyone in the DUP then, agree to punish their residents in this manner? It just doesn't seem to me there is a snowball's chance in H-E-double toothpicks that this can pass, as without the DUP this whole thing goes nowhere. Why would the EU even request something like this?

Have I completely missed something here? Is there some kind of VAT refund in the deal that will be offered to NI residents?  I would love to hear a coherent analysis on how the current deal can possibly work? Anyone? As I said, I don't have a direct stake in this fight, but the whole world will be affected by the changes to the currency markets. Just trying to figure out what prevantative measures are necessary.

This may or may not aid your queries, bear in mind this deal is not final, No Deal is still legal default & possibility hence why both sides were so keen to get this resolved PDQ.

BBC News - Brexit: What is in Boris Johnson's new deal with the EU?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50083026

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Can one of you who has actually studied this "deal" explain it to me?

Well , strictly speaking it is not yet a done deal because it still needs

to get approved by parliament.

If it is accepted then the real analysis can commence.

Teresa May came home with a deal.

Didn't get to far with it.

58 minutes ago, Monomial said:

QUOTE: Lowering VAT is one of the easiest ways a country can stimulate its economy. It is almost inconceivable to me the UK won't use this lever when the economy starts going south

I think I discovered your hidden agenda.

56 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Boris will spend tomorrow organising for the DUP to be paid off in return for their support. £Billions more going into Northern Ireland.

Gold plated taps for every Prod - but they are facing enormous pressure from their working class vote for No Surrender - sound familiar they want to be more British than the British. Plus Sinn Fein support it. Try explaining that. Farage on LBC now calling it absolutely awful and absolutely not Brexit. Interesting also said Juncker is a drunken old fart who speaks for no one and he says the EU instinct is to have one last go at getting Remain. 

52 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Gold plated taps for every Prod - but they are facing enormous pressure from their working class vote for No Surrender - sound familiar they want to be more British than the British. Plus Sinn Fein support it. Try explaining that. Farage on LBC now calling it absolutely awful and absolutely not Brexit. Interesting also said Juncker is a drunken old fart who speaks for no one and he says the EU instinct is to have one last go at getting Remain. 

Lets look at this without the fanfare 

Junker is currently stating there will be no extension if this deal dosnt pass, Gove in parliament today stated the same thing, we would leave if it dosnt go through. As are others, 

Farage was always going to meltdown unless its a no deal. Its not likely there is going to be another extension. There are many ways to get around the Benn bill and Barmier has also said there would be no extension this time, They know Boris can get around the Benn deal. Macron is also making no more extension noises. I would agree they can change on a whim as usual but the noises are all its this or no deal on 31 the Uk is leaving. 

As ive said before I believe the price of a deal is N Ireland. Do you have a problem with the unification of Ireland ? 

The choice atm is very much the May/Boris Deal that will be presented Saturday or No Deal. Given how polarised Parliament has been and continues to be its highly possible that will create the default position of No Deal. Looks to me exactly the same as in March this deal or leave with no deal... Only Oct 31 is more a line in the sand than March was

Saturday Chaos will ensue, Article 50 is not going to be revoked, i will guarantee you that, there isnt anywhere near the support for it. Politicians dont have the guts, would be thrown out enmasse of their jobs even more than in a GE now and they know it. if the opposition try and force another referendum, or the deal gets voted down ( i think it will )  the £ will fall so get whatever exchange in now while its at 39 ????  

5 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Lets look at this without the fanfare 

Junker is currently stating there will be no extension if this deal dosnt pass, Gove in parliament today stated the same thing, we would leave if it dosnt go through. As are others, 

Farage was always going to meltdown unless its a no deal. Its not likely there is going to be another extension. There are many ways to get around the Benn bill and Barmier has also said there would be no extension this time, They know Boris can get around the Benn deal. Macron is also making no more extension noises. I would agree they can change on a whim as usual but the noises are all its this or no deal on 31 the Uk is leaving. 

As ive said before I believe the price of a deal is N Ireland. Do you have a problem with the unification of Ireland ? 

The choice atm is very much the May/Boris Deal that will be presented Saturday or No Deal. Given how polarised Parliament has been and continues to be its highly possible that will create the default position of No Deal. Looks to me exactly the same as in March this deal or leave with no deal... Only Oct 31 is more a line in the sand than March was

Saturday Chaos will ensue, Article 50 is not going to be revoked, i will guarantee you that, there isnt anywhere near the support for it. Politicians dont have the guts, would be thrown out enmasse of their jobs even more than in a GE now and they know it. if the opposition try and force another referendum, or the deal gets voted down ( i think it will )  the £ will fall so get whatever exchange in now while its at 39 ????  

QUOTE: As ive said before I believe the price of a deal is N Ireland. Do you have a problem with the unification of Ireland ? 

And how do YOU feel about that?

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: As ive said before I believe the price of a deal is N Ireland. Do you have a problem with the unification of Ireland ? 

Im not in the slightest bit a unionist so im very fine with that, I have always believed in unification of Ireland and it was never going be any other way ... the religious and the wars of the church is no longer a factor and its time.. do YOU have a problem with Ireland being one nation again ?

5 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Im not in the slightest bit a unionist so im very fine with that, I have always believed in unification of Ireland and it was never going be any other way ... the religious and the wars of the church is no longer a factor and its time.. do YOU have a problem with Ireland being one nation again ?

Of course not.

The British should have pulled out of the occupied territories long time ago.

But I had the impression that for most brexiteers this was not acceptable. Even May (and she was a remainer) wanted to preserve the "integrity" of the UK.

1 hour ago, spiekerjozef said:

Benny Hill

actually Benny Hill would make a good metaphor for Brexit - chasing something without knowing what it is, for all the wrong reasons and no idea what to do with it if we get it. Just about as well organized too.

44 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

and if we let NI go, why not Scotland ?

4 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Boris will spend tomorrow organising for the DUP to be paid off in return for their support. £Billions more going into Northern Ireland.

Boris, actually believes he can get his deal through without the DUP.

Though the maths does not add up, with 650 MP's he would need 325 in theory to get the deal approved, the Tories had 317 mp's after the last general election but now have 288 MP's 37 short of 325, so where is he going to get 37 other MP's to vote with him? at the same time ensuring every one of his own MP's votes for his deal.

Ok maybe not 325 as the 7 Sinn Fain MP's do not attend Parliament, but he is going to need a lot more MP's than he has at this time. 

Just now, Basil B said:

Boris, actually believes he can get his deal through without the DUP.

Though the maths does not add up, with 650 MP's he would need 325 in theory to get the deal approved, the Tories had 317 mp's after the last general election but now have 288 MP's 37 short of 325, so where is he going to get 37 other MP's to vote with him? at the same time ensuring every one of his own MP's votes for his deal.

Ok maybe not 325 as the 7 Sinn Fain MP's do not attend Parliament, but he is going to need a lot more MP's than he has at this time. 

People's Vote  This deal vs Remain - then let this nonsense end. 

10 hours ago, samran said:

Details to follow at a later point.

No doubt it will be more limp wristed the May’s deal, which he viciously opposes.

But hey, he’s PM now so that doesn’t really matter now. 

Just be listening to lbc the scheme,sorry deal is just as bad as mays

Good Boris and the Tories will win a landslide and then the working class that supported the outcome will see the true nature of an unleashed Eton Tory. Oh and Britain's broke so that EU money that was spunked up your region will be quitely forgotten. And thye sh*thole towns where you cried for help will get shattier. As will our NHS. Great result well done. Let's all wave our chinese made flags and cheer the Great Liar in Chief. 

12 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Why not leave with this deal or leave with no deal?

Because https://www.ft.com/content/a513c33c-f02a-11e9-ad1e-4367d8281195

Yes, this deal is far better than no deal. But it is a terrible deal and also one that is far indeed from the “having our cake and eating it” promised by Mr Johnson in the referendum campaign. It is, simply, a monstrous act of national self harm. It is not good enough to let an exhausted parliament wave it through.

Despite all the obvious risks, the people should be asked whether this deal is what they truly want for their future and that of their children and children’s children. The right thing to do is to put it to the people. They now know what choices lie in front of them and their country. If they choose this one knowingly, so be it.

1 minute ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

People's Vote  This deal vs Remain - then let this nonsense end. 

As much as I agree with you, The EU have said today if we do not accept this deal there will be no more extensions...  

But the LibDems have tabled a motion to be added to the Queens speech requesting any deal brought back from Brussels be put to a second referendum so I would say the EU would not refuse if that was the case.

Archived