UK PM Johnson agrees 'great' new Brexit deal with EU

webfact

8 minutes ago, samran said:

Sorry, forgot you were busy studying the alternative texts in great detail 555

As you were asking me what the DUP think, that suggests that you didnt even read the news and have no knowledge at all on the subject

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, samran said:

The little Englanders also fail to understand HM treasury’s approach to tariffs. Being the good orthodox economists they are, they abhor tariffs. 

Come brexit, without a trade deal, EU external tariffs will automatically go up against UK products. The immediate result will be a hit to national income as people on the continent will buy less UK products as they are now more expensive. 

So with brexit already taking a chunk of your income away, the last thing you want to do is make the goods and services you need to buy more expensive by slapping tariffs on top of them. 

You are contradicting yourself.

In your first para. you state that HM treasury will not apply tarrifs - and then in your last para. state that the tarrifs applied will make goods and services more expensive.  Make up your mind.

9 minutes ago, el torro said:

In your first para. you state that HM treasury will not apply tarrifs - and then in your last para. state that the tarrifs applied will make goods and services more expensive.  Make up your mind.

Huh? The post really was not that difficult to understand.

9 minutes ago, el torro said:

I haven’t contradicted myself at all.

I’m explaining why tariffs on imports into the UK will be minimal. You’ve already getting less for your exports to Europe, so with less income why make what you need to buy from the rest of the world more expensive by slapping tariffs on them? 

2 hours ago, transam said:

Oh...... then perhaps it is....????.....

Well, last night I saw Moggy saying it was..

Then of course it is.... 

Moggy you can trust definetely. 

Well educated respectfull and honorable. 

Just a gold nugget in parliament ????

49 minutes ago, samran said:

The little Englanders also fail to understand HM treasury’s approach to tariffs. Being the good orthodox economists they are, they abhor tariffs. 

Come brexit, without a trade deal, EU external tariffs will automatically go up against UK products. The immediate result will be a hit to national income as people on the continent will buy less UK products as they are now more expensive. 

So with brexit already taking a chunk of your income away, the last thing you want to do is make the goods and services you need to buy more expensive by slapping tariffs on top of them. 

39 minutes ago, el torro said:

27 minutes ago, samran said:

I’m explaining why tariffs on imports into the UK will be minimal. You’ve already getting less for your exports to Europe, so with less income why make what you need to buy from the rest of the world more expensive by slapping tariffs on them? 

You are contradicting yourself, but I understand why you need to pretend otherwise.

38 minutes ago, samran said:

Tariffs are to protect local industries and to stop the flood of cheap foreign imports 

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, he is not contradicting himself. Are you sure you're native English speaker?

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Exactly which contradiction are you imagining you saw?

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

He really isn't contradicting himself

Thanks guys - but its pretty obvious that blue passports and bendy bananas trumps basic economic understanding....

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, he is not contradicting himself. Are you sure you're native English speaker?

It seems very obvious to me that:-

stating in one sentence "The little Englanders also fail to understand HM treasury’s approach to tariffs. Being the good orthodox economists they are, they abhor tariffs"

And then later in the same post "So with brexit already taking a chunk of your income away, the last thing you want to do is make the goods and services you need to buy more expensive by slapping tariffs on top of them."

is contradictory.

2 minutes ago, el torro said:

stating in one sentence "The little Englanders also fail to understand HM treasury’s approach to tariffs. Being the good orthodox economists they are, they abhor tariffs"

And then later in the same post "So with brexit already taking a chunk of your income away, the last thing you want to do is make the goods and services you need to buy more expensive by slapping tariffs on top of them."

is contradictory.

Both paragraphs are saying 'you don't want tariffs'.

1 minute ago, el torro said:

is contradictory.

No, that last paragraph explains one of the reasons Treasury will not want to put up tariffs.

4 minutes ago, el torro said:

And we're immediately back to remainers resorting to insults.....

Its not an insult if it is true. A simple economic concept has been presented to you three times and you still don't get it. If the shoe fits...

2 minutes ago, samran said:

No, that last paragraph explains one of the reasons Treasury will not want to put up tariffs.

No.  The first para. says

"The little Englanders also fail to understand HM treasury’s approach to tariffs. Being the good orthodox economists they are, they abhor tariffs"

clearly stating that HM Treasury has no interest in applying tariffs.

The last para. states

So with brexit already taking a chunk of your income away, the last thing you want to do is make the goods and services you need to buy more expensive by slapping tariffs on top of them."

1 minute ago, el torro said:

"The little Englanders also fail to understand HM treasury’s approach to tariffs. Being the good orthodox economists they are, they abhor tariffs"

The last para. states

So with brexit already taking a chunk of your income away, the last thing you want to do is make the goods and services you need to buy more expensive by slapping tariffs on top of them."

'the last thing you want', so also there you don't want tariffs.

7 minutes ago, el torro said:

The last para. states

I'm genuinely being nice here: you need to stop digging.

Moving on...

"The Evening Standard can reveal that members of the European Research Group of hardline Eurosceptics are seeking advice from the Attorney General to support their view that if no trade deal is agreed with the EU by the end of 2020, Britain could switch by default from full EU rules to World Trade Organisation terms."

Just when you thought....

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Moving on...

"The Evening Standard can reveal that members of the European Research Group of hardline Eurosceptics are seeking advice from the Attorney General to support their view that if no trade deal is agreed with the EU by the end of 2020, Britain could switch by default from full EU rules to World Trade Organisation terms."

Just when you thought....

Careful what you wish for would be my only advice to the ERG....

5 minutes ago, samran said:

I'm genuinely being nice here: you need to stop digging.

Really?

A post stating that the UK has no interest in applying tariffs, and then how the UK would apply tariffs that would harm the UK??

Clearly I'm 'missing something' here?

Archived