BANGKOK

I see advertisements here about "visa agents" who can bring

a retirement visa extention for a fee. using their services for a fee

will eliminate the need for the cash deposits in thai bank, both

for 800K for two months before the visa application, AND

the 400K needed to be in the account during one year.

QUESTION IS, OF COURSE, How legal are those agents and their

service? What are the legal implications for the one who hire

their services, in case of complication? For example, can

an immigration officer decide that their visa stamp is illegal or fake,

and than fine or even imprison the visa holder, AKA me?

• Haha 1

What do you reckon should happen? Immediate deportation? or deportation following a couple of months in the slammer? This is probably what would happen, as T.I.T, while the two other parties involved in the fraud would remain unscathed and "resume duties" after a short cool off period.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Momofarang said:

What do you reckon should happen? Immediate deportation? or deportation following a couple of months in the slammer? This is probably what would happen, as T.I.T, while the two other parties involved in the fraud would remain unscathed and "resume duties" after a short cool off period.

i know of a case in another country, not thailand, when the visa stamp holder was arrested in the airport, because the agent used fake visa stamps (you pay him for the "visa extention", give him

your passport, than get it back with what he claimed is ligitimate visa, but only in the airport,

when you try leave the country, it is discovered, by the IO that it is just fake visa stamp...)

the price paid by the innocent fake visa holder was heavy : few weeks in jail, heavy fines and lawyer fees, and aventually deportation and 5 year ban from that country.

Just now, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i know of a case in another country, not thailand, when the visa stamp holder was arrested in the airport, because the agent used fake visa stamps (you pay him for the "visa extention", give him

your passport, than get it back with what he claimed is ligitimate visa, but only in the airport,

when you try leave the country, it is discovered, by the IO that it is just fake visa stamp...)

the price paid by the innocent fake visa holder was heavy : few weeks in jail, heavy fines and lawyer fees, and aventually deportation and 5 year ban from that country.

You can read this all over vietnamese visa forums too.

The so praised business visas, most are done on shell companies with no purpose.

Vietnam cracks down on the companies, agents and then also blacklists the visa receiver.

I would expect that to happen everywhere else, in pretty much the same way.

Just now, The Cobra said:

I have heard this before and I dont agree at all.

If the services were illegal they would not be allowed to operate and certainly not allowed to advertise the service.

The stamp/visa is issued by the legal authority, by a lawful officer entitled to issue such a visa/stamp. The actions of the agent are NOT illegal, the actions of the issuing officer could be described as questionable in some circumstances but the agent is not doing anything illegal. 

If at some stage the actions of the immigration officer concerned was brought into question/doubt that is another issue and nothing at all to do with the agent.

i agree with your disagreement. it is not clear. that is why i decided to ask here.

indeed if those visa agents were absolutely illegal, they would'nt feel so free to

advertise their services right here, on this site !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Cobra said:

I have heard this before and I dont agree at all.

If the services were illegal they would not be allowed to operate and certainly not allowed to advertise the service.

The stamp/visa is issued by the legal authority, by a lawful officer entitled to issue such a visa/stamp. The actions of the agent are NOT illegal, the actions of the issuing officer could be described as questionable in some circumstances but the agent is not doing anything illegal. 

If at some stage the actions of the immigration officer concerned was brought into question/doubt that is another issue and nothing at all to do with the agent.

Bribing an IO to get extension approval is not illegal?

I understand there was a purge at Chiang Mai Immigration about a year ago. One American who recently tried to do the 30K route was told no agents in CM would do it anymore. He is now in Cambodia.

Where do you get the idea an agent would openly advertise such a service? It would all be word of mouth.

I'd like to hear Ubonjoe's opinion on this. If an expat got a legit stamp but the agency and cooperating io were later cracked down on would the expat be in trouble or not? My only feeling about that is that it's possible but not certain

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i agree with your disagreement. it is not clear. that is why i decided to ask here.

indeed if those visa agents were absolutely illegal, they would'nt feel so free to

advertise their services right here, on this site !!

IMHO you are indulging in wishful thinking.

• Like 1