Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

Except that the senior officer who signs the visa stamp has the legal authority and discretionary power to issue a visa without ANY financial proof if he deems appropriate.

That is where all this talk falls apart. It is NOT therefore illegal.

Not illegal EXCEPT if they are taking money to do it, which is always the case. Can anyone tell of a case otherwise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Orton Rd said:

Of course it's a bribe and a corrupt illegal payment. While not illegal for an officer to waive the financial requirements, taking cash to do so is illegal, it's not a service, it's a crime! Let the buyer beware, some have had their extensions done in another province to where they live and have met with difficulties when going to their own office. Lets not pretend this money making is anything other than what it is.

And how exactly can you or anyone prove what the money paid by the agent is for ? you cannot, no one can categorically state it was for that action.

Impossible to prove and your argument is flawed.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, moontang said:

Or you could just take 2% here and then only pay 1900 every year, and 100 for the letter.  You really need a banking presence here, anyways.

i don't feel comfortable transfering money into thailand, after some horror

stories i've heard, that happaned to people with "TOO MUT" money in their

thai bank.

a recent story that was published on this board was that of a dutch man

who was sentenced to 100 years (!!) in jail for "money laundry" by thai court, while

his crime was only tax issues in this home EU country.

his mistake was transfering hundreads of millions of baht to thai bank accounts,

the thai banks allowed the payments no problem, and years later he lost it all.

 

just like any senior immigration officer can issue or cancell visas as much as he likes, 

so the authorities here or in other countries can, for the right amounts, arrest

you or confiscate your bank money , with and without the help of this or that agent.

so better keep your thai bank account thin and slim.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Of course it's a bribe and a corrupt illegal payment. While not illegal for an officer to waive the financial requirements, taking cash to do so is illegal, it's not a service, it's a crime! Let the buyer beware, some have had their extensions done in another province to where they live and have met with difficulties when going to their own office. Lets not pretend this money making is anything other than what it is.

i don't care if it's illegal or imoral. all i care about is if it will not

get ME into trouble.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i don't feel comfortable transfering money into thailand, after some horror

stories i've heard, that happaned to people with "TOO MUT" money in their

thai bank.

a recent story that was published on this board was that of a dutch man

who was sentenced to 100 years (!!) in jail for "money laundry" by thai court, while

his crime was only tax issues in this home EU country.

his mistake was transfering hundreads of millions of baht to thai bank accounts,

the thai banks allowed the payments no problem, and years later he lost it all.

 

just like any senior immigration officer can issue or cancell visas as much as he likes, 

so the authorities here or in other countries can, for the right amounts, arrest

you or confiscate your bank money , with and without the help of this or that agent.

so better keep your thai bank account thin and slim.

Unless he is really laundering money, there is no way somebody can be accused of laundering money and put in jail. I simply don't beleive the storey. And if the person had hundreds of millions of dollars, why did he bring all his money to tthailand? Did he plan to buy 100 brothels (aka bars)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i don't feel comfortable transfering money into thailand, after some horror

stories i've heard, that happaned to people with "TOO MUT" money in their

thai bank.

a recent story that was published on this board was that of a dutch man

who was sentenced to 100 years (!!) in jail for "money laundry" by thai court, while

his crime was only tax issues in this home EU country.

his mistake was transfering hundreads of millions of baht to thai bank accounts,

the thai banks allowed the payments no problem, and years later he lost it all.

 

just like any senior immigration officer can issue or cancell visas as much as he likes, 

so the authorities here or in other countries can, for the right amounts, arrest

you or confiscate your bank money , with and without the help of this or that agent.

so better keep your thai bank account thin and slim.

bank accounts get levied in the US on a daily basis, state of California is notorious.  Dutch man brought over millions from a weed business.  The reality is that the Thai banking system 

is a safe haven, and that is causing pain at the exchange booth.  Recent reports by IMF say Thai banks are on par with Singapore and Hong Kong.

Edited by moontang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JeffreyTRax said:

That is much too expensive.

 

The going rate is 14-18,000 THB (full service).

I am talking about where fraudulent documents are submitted, such as bank statements, and a corrupt IO lets them go through. You are talking about agent services where the documents are legitimate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A bit OT, but would anyone be so kind and PM the details of an agent(s) in Bangkok, who'd charge 14-18k for this service?

 

The ones I've found expected to be paid 25-30k, as stated earlier in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I am talking about where fraudulent documents are submitted, such as bank statements, and a corrupt IO lets them go through. You are talking about agent services where the documents are legitimate.

The 25k retirement extension I was talking about, the only document you submit is your passport.

And you are taken along to sign the application form and have your photo taken at immigration.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

Except that the senior officer who signs the visa stamp has the legal authority and discretionary power to issue a visa without ANY financial proof if he deems appropriate.

That is where all this talk falls apart. It is NOT therefore illegal.

Until the senior officer in charge gets fired, as happened at CM. Then all bets are off.

I can understand where the OP is coming from. I find the 800K baht earning 0.5% interest irritating too. However, he has to decide if the risk is worth it. I've already made the decision that it's not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...