Flu Jab

bert bloggs

BKK hospital to sri racha Hosp   38 km each way= 76 km   total journey time for each way 40 mins  each way = 80 minute give or take    I'd rather pay BBK price knock off 200baht off for my fuel  bring it down 795 bath .... 80 minute extra not worth save another 200baht....

False economy

1 hour ago, banglay said:

BKK hospital to sri racha Hosp   38 km each way= 76 km   total journey time for each way 40 mins  each way = 80 minute give or take    I'd rather pay BBK price knock off 200baht off for my fuel  bring it down 795 bath .... 80 minute extra not worth save another 200baht....

False economy

You and your husband live next door to BPH then? 9km/lt what do you drive. do the math.

My wife and I, who are retired have nothing better to do than go out for a drive up to Sir Racha and pop into Robinsons.

Thanks for the option Bert.

I use shell V power 29.94 Baht ltr  my 3.2 ltr pick-up averages 10.4 ltrs/100km = 9.615 km per ltr 

78 km /9.615  =  8.112 ltrs used  X 29.84 = 242.06 baht for the round trip ... yes my maths was out by 42 baht I under calucated.

And what has Robinsons shopping Mall got to offer over and above ..  Central/Terminal21 and others that it can entice me to travel a extra 78 km round trip ..

PS Live 23 KM south of BBK hosptial 

What type of flu vaccine did you get?  Flu season here in Thailand is at its end (rainy season) so the normal vaccine for local protection is likely not available and Northern Hemisphere version would be more likely which is good if planning travel to EU or USA.

I love it when you post something to try and help ,then the naysayers come on ,and have a go ,its to far i will spend to much on petrol ,what has Robinsons got that T 21 hasnt got , 

get a life boys . the glass is half full ,not half empty , some of us live on the side of Pattaya that is quite close to Sri Racha ,its a straight run ,to the hospital there . 

Its a nice hospital ,hardly any wait and it makes a change to go to Robinsons , i dont want to go to the same place day after day after day ,i have a life , so have you ,get out more ,go different places  stop being negative .

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

What type of flu vaccine did you get?  Flu season here in Thailand is at its end (rainy season) so the normal vaccine for local protection is likely not available and Northern Hemisphere version would be more likely which is good if planning travel to EU or USA.

its the vaxigrip tetra manufactured in France .the actual vacine is 390 baht ,the other was made up of an ice pack ,some sealed swabs to clean the jab and 40 baht for the doctor to inject you ,

its the vaxigrip tetra manufactured in France .the actual vacine is 390 baht ,the other was made up of an ice pack ,some sealed swabs to clean the jab and 40 baht for the doctor to inject you ,
I think that may be Northern Hemisphere not Southern.

Not the vaccine for Thailand and in any case the flu season in Thailand just ended/ending.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I think that may be Northern Hemisphere not Southern.

Not the vaccine for Thailand and in any case the flu season in Thailand just ended/ending.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

correct ,it says on the box influenca virus(inactivated split) of the following strains

Switzerland like strain

Colarado     like strain

Michigan   like strain

Phuket    like strain .

anyway its a new type of vaccine .

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Exactly what I was thinking. 

It's possibly last seasons flu vaccine. Did you see the date on the box?

31 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I love it when you post something to try and help ,then the naysayers come on ,and have a go ,its to far i will spend to much on petrol ,what has Robinsons got that T 21 hasnt got , 

get a life boys . the glass is half full ,not half empty , some of us live on the side of Pattaya that is quite close to Sri Racha ,its a straight run ,to the hospital there . 

Its a nice hospital ,hardly any wait and it makes a change to go to Robinsons , i dont want to go to the same place day after day after day ,i have a life , so have you ,get out more ,go different places  stop being negative .

If you class getting out more is going to 'Robinsons" I would suggest maybe you should get out more and go to different places .  LOL . (a light hearted response not meant to offend ???? )

24 minutes ago, banglay said:

If you class getting out more is going to 'Robinsons" I would suggest maybe you should get out more and go to different places .  LOL . (a light hearted response not meant to offend ???? )

Oh come on ,do you go to the same place week in week out ,by the way Sri Racha has a great park ,with a walking track and machines, an island you can walk to via a bridge , lots of other things ,also our son went to Assumption college there ,so we know it well ,its so close to Pattaya , come on live a little????

ps they also have a hospital that does cheap flu jabs .

14 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

yes i have the box ,it is 12/02/2019 expires 01/2020

I have been vaccinated for many diseases.  Any coverage is better then none.

You've probably left this vaccination a little late, but it's still better than nothing. 

If you are going to make it an annual vaccination, better to have it closer to the manufacturing date, as I do.

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

correct ,it says on the box influenca virus(inactivated split) of the following strains

Switzerland like strain

Colarado     like strain

Michigan   like strain

Phuket    like strain .

anyway its a new type of vaccine .

OK that is the Southern Hemisphere version as normally used in Thailand this year.  The current Northern Hemisphere version would be:

• an A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus[note 1][153]
  • an A/Kansas/14/2017 (H3N2)-like virus
  • a B/Colorado/06/2017-like virus (B/Victoria/2/87 lineage)
  • a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (B/Yamagata/16/88 lineage)

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Trivalent vaccine ? Or quadravalent ? Higher strength dose for senior over 65 ? Or regular strength dose ?

Higher strength dose for seniors because as we age over 65, our immune system begins to weaken with age.   

Not sure why you would need an ice pack. I’ve been getting vaccine shots including the flu shot for years and years and never needed an ice pack or seen anyone who needed one for a vaccine shot. 

Only getting a needle. Not getting smacked with a baseball bat. 

9 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Trivalent vaccine ? Or quadravalent ? Higher strength dose for senior over 65 ? Or regular strength dose ?

Higher strength dose for seniors because as we age over 65, our immune system begins to weaken with age.   

The vaccine named is quad and he listed the types.  Do not believe higher dose versions are even available in Thailand.  And yes they can hurt - for several days for some as the vaccine does its job - and an ice pack can help relieve muscle pain after injection.  

59 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The vaccine named is quad and he listed the types.  Do not believe higher dose versions are even available in Thailand.  And yes they can hurt - for several days for some as the vaccine does its job - and an ice pack can help relieve muscle pain after injection.  

I don’t know why these people have so much pain.

The only vaccines that usually cause a bit of pain is the Tetanus vaccine shot and the Shingrix Shingles vaccine shots. They are known to cause a bit of dull pain for two or three days, but mild enough to ignore. No others.

Tetanus vaccine and Shingrix are only a bit sore for two or three days. Like a buddy punching you in the shoulder back in our teens. 

Never had any noticeable pain from the Flu Shot or other vaccines.

Only Tetanus and Shingrix. Certainly not enough pain to stop me from getting my Tetanus booster every ten years, or Shingrix boosters if I might ever need them someday. Shingrix is still a bit new. I think they are not sure how many years it’s good for. 

Never needed or asked for ice. Had my higher dose seniors flu shot in the past few days. If I hadn’t watched the doctor inject me...I wouldn’t even have known he inserted the needle. No later pain either. 

I’ve been getting the flu shot every year since the late 1970’s. Never any problem. Never hurts no matter which arm I get it in. 

(Yes, all my life (68 next month) I keep all my vaccinations up-to-date...including all my travel/tropical shots...including Rabies and Japanese Encephalitis, Meningitis, Prevnar 13, Pneumovax 23..... among others.)

Is this pain and ice pack something that is common? 

Why would these people be having this kind of problem? 

(Then again...I’ve seen big young tough guys pass out from vaccine shots at the Travel Clinic....almost funny seeing their eyes roll into the back of their head as they slump unconscious in their seat...so who knows. 55555????. Needle fear I guess.

4 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Is this pain and ice pack something that is common? 

Why would these people be having this kind of problem? 

Some pain is normal but need for ice pack would only be a few.  Just as with anything else - not everyone has the same experience - we are not clones.  I can say not all shots have been great for me - several broken needles and then the gun that operators failed to hold against arm causing open slash cuts.  In general flu is not as bad as some others but many people will have some type of minor reaction.    

49 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Some pain is normal but need for ice pack would only be a few.  Just as with anything else - not everyone has the same experience - we are not clones.  I can say not all shots have been great for me - several broken needles and then the gun that operators failed to hold against arm causing open slash cuts.  In general flu is not as bad as some others but many people will have some type of minor reaction.    

Wow....very sorry you have all kinds of bad luck. 

Not just one...but SEVERAL broken needles. Holy ____! 

In more than half a century of getting all kinds of allergy shots and vaccinations...I’ve never had even one broken needle while getting a shot. 

Operators with some kind of gun? Never had that. 

They didn’t know how to use it properly and thus gave you slash cuts?  What the ____????

Who hired those people? How is it that they are not fired? 

Why would you go to such a place? 

Where is this butchering place where all this happened? I’d like to know...so I never go there. 

It’s like a scary dream. 

I’d sue their ass and warn everyone I know to never go there. 

Unbelievable ! !   Very sorry for you.

I never get a reaction except like I said a little bit of sore upper arm from the Tetanus or Shingles vaccinations for two or three days. 

Happy my family and friends and I don’t react like so many people.

I’m good with getting my shots. Maybe I even like them a bit. ????

(I also have some Sak Yant tattoos from a monk using a Khem Sak double pointed spike.)  

B

16 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Operators with some kind of gun? Never had that. 

They didn’t know how to use it properly and thus gave you slash cuts?  What the ____????

Back in the late 50's guns became the method to vaccinate large numbers of people quickly so had at school and in military - there was a need to hold arm against gun as normal to flinch but some operators did not do so.  Not much you can say as a child or in the military.  Had at least four times that they broke needle doing a normal shot in those days. 

33 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

B

Back in the late 50's guns became the method to vaccinate large numbers of people quickly so had at school and in military - there was a need to hold arm against gun as normal to flinch but some operators did not do so.  Not much you can say as a child or in the military.  Had at least four times that they broke needle doing a normal shot in those days. 

Sorry you had a string of bad experiences. My shots started back in the early 50’s with the child vaccines and allergy shots. 

I’ll be 68 next month. I don’t remember ever experiencing a broken needle. 

I guess maybe I have a weird liking now of getting needles. Along with my Sak Yant ....I also donated blood regularly for many many years starting when I was 16. (Parents had to sign permission at my age then)

Those needles are huge. 

I’m O-neg. The universal donor. So wanted to do my part to help others. 

They won’t let me donate now because I had CABG x 4 earlier this year. (Quadruple Cardiac Bypass). Unfortunately cholesterol and heart problems run on both sides of the family. Luckily I caught my problem before I had a heart attack. 

On 10/18/2019 at 3:41 PM, Catoni said:

Sorry you had a string of bad experiences. My shots started back in the early 50’s with the child vaccines and allergy shots. 

I’ll be 68 next month. I don’t remember ever experiencing a broken needle. 

I guess maybe I have a weird liking now of getting needles. Along with my Sak Yant ....I also donated blood regularly for many many years starting when I was 16. (Parents had to sign permission at my age then)

Those needles are huge. 

I’m O-neg. The universal donor. So wanted to do my part to help others. 

They won’t let me donate now because I had CABG x 4 earlier this year. (Quadruple Cardiac Bypass). Unfortunately cholesterol and heart problems run on both sides of the family. Luckily I caught my problem before I had a heart attack. 

Had a heart attack in my 30s ,by pass at 39 now still going 34 yrs  later ,take meds cholesterol good ,b/p good ,all tests ok , just think positive . oh and go out with and marry women much younger than yourself ,????

19 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Had a heart attack in my 30s ,by pass at 39 now still going 34 yrs  later ,take meds cholesterol good ,b/p good ,all tests ok , just think positive . oh and go out with and marry women much younger than yourself ,????

Thank you my friend. I wish you many many more years of healthy life. Very sorry you had that serious problem at such a young age. 

After my quadruple bypass..I have to now take one 80mg Atorvastatin each day, and 25mg Metoprolol three times a day, and one 81mg aspirin once per day. 

They want me to lose weight also. So I need to return to Southeast Asia. Every time I spend a few months in Southeast Asia I lose at least 22 - 25lbs of weight without even thinking about it. The weight just drops off. 

I tend to put on the weight here in North America. 

Figure I’ll maybe live longer if I return to Southeast Asia and stay there for good this time. (Also want to spend some time in India, Sri Lanka, and Myanmar this time.)

Take care...and good health to you. 

19 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Can I ask...do you now watch your diet and not drink alcohol? Exercise?

Best wishes ????

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

Can I ask...do you now watch your diet and not drink alcohol? Exercise?

Best wishes ????

Untill we came back here to live i didnt really watch my weight ,but a few years ago i lost 20 kilo ,i dont smoke ,and drink very little ,take 40mg atorvastatine ,and other drugs including asprin , but to be honest i eat fruit and stuff ,but dont really watch what i eat ,i do some exercise but not vast amounts ,i do think living here helps ,the warm weather especially ,to be honest when i had the BP i was told it would last about 8 years , and when i used to have my 6 monthly ,one of the other guys who had his done same time ,could not walk across the room without getting out of breath after 1 yr .

so honestly dont know why i have been so lucky ,maybe its having young wives ,girl friends all my life , and being married to my now lovely wife of 22 years ,who is 23 years younger than me???? that and a fantastic family both here and in the UK

anyway all the best keep smiling ,its what i do .

Archived