Northern Ireland's DUP says it cannot support Brexit deal as it stands

snoop1130

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You have a great deal more faith in the brokers of power on both sides of that mess behaving like civilized human beings than I do.

Johnson’ ‘surrender agreement’ represents a very significant loss to Unionist in NI. 

He’s playing with fire.

Won't Sinn Fein's endorsement of the deal means that the DUP has to be against it?

16 hours ago, kingdong said:

This whole fiasco is reaching Monty python status,a big thank you from me and every other person suffering from it to Gina miller,and all the mps unwilling to accept democracy.

How silly to display such an ignorance of the representative democracy and constitution of the UK.

Two Tory PM's tried to put themselves above the law and constitution and failed. One was then punished at the voting box. The other likely to be so soon.

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Won't Sinn Fein's endorsement of the deal means that the DUP has to be against it?

The DUP have a history of voting against everything! They are important because of silly May and her badly handled unnecessary election.

According to the NI Alliance party leader and MEP, the DUP represent 0.6% of the population the UK and are not expressing the views of a majority of NI citizens. 

2 hours ago, englishoak said:

If you mean the DUP, it could be or maybe not. You have to appreciate the entire and sole reason the DUP exists is to make sure NI stays part of the UK. Its a bit like the Brexit party, take away the sole reason for being and the party ceases to have any relevance. 

It would depend on what their true motivations are and if they truly understand where the future is taking them all on the emerald Isle. And that is unification. I dont think many people anymore believe in an indefinite separated Ireland, certainly not in Ireland and not on the mainland other than old die hard unionists and the argument for that is ? well because that's the United Kingdom 4 nations as one... Well thats been changing over the last decade, Scotlands been flexing and has its own powers. Wales has had powers devolved. So does N Ireland until lately. Stormont The Northern Ireland assembly collapsed almost three years ago after a row between the DUP and Sinn Féin and remains suspended. As time moves on the support and case for a united Ireland grows stronger.

The DUP dont hold as much influence in NI as they used to and that will continue to errode, will they decided to delay the inevitable again and risk a no deal and leaving without ? in a no deal It will hurt all on that Island the most or will they take the coin one last time from the UK and accept the future trend with grace and retire with a robust and prosperous N I by the time it does unify  ?  they could turn themselves into heroes if they have the vision and foresight. I hope they do.

Personally I hope and think they are holding out for some more investment and suspect they will get it if they are, they will no doubt be gauging how the numbers look with or without them and negotiate with the UK gov accordingly. 

Interesting few days coming up. 

I think you're totally out of touch with the wishes of the majority of people in Northern Ireland (and Eire for that matter where there is little appetite for unification).

You are assuming a false equivalence between people's views on Brexit and the UK.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

The demographics in the province are changing, there is near parity between the communities. and the current system of government is frankly politically and economically unsustainable. The DUP may well push for more investment - call it a bribe - but they will also be aware that the present peculiar circumstances which leave them holding the balance of power at Westminster will be unlikely to last beyond the next election - especially if, as is likely, that election results from them foiling this deal, and produces a government with a solid majority, either for leave or remain. They will go back to representing a dwindling community of red faced, beer bellied, drum bangers!

Any reasonable, sensible, logical approach suggests that the DUP recognises this reality, and engages sensibly with the future of the province. This future must include recognising that the bulk of the island remains part of the EU, and accommodate that fact.

It looks like the DUP are stuck in the past in more ways than one.

Annotation 2019-10-18 132856.png

Say what you like about ukip,but they bought down a UK prime minister,all remain and their antics are doing is accelerating far right wing politics.
UKIP and Brexit a sideline distraction for decisions now being made in Parliament. Hard Brexiteers just wanting to make anti-Parliamentary threats from the sidelines.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

With the DUP against it, and half of the ERG against it this deal has no chance.

As for Juncker saying he won't extend again, he looked drunk again when he said that so it's best ignored. He shouted at a Channel 4 reporter and then wobbled off taking little mini steps with a big guy either side making sure he didn't fall over. It's not his decision anyway.

I'm starting to think this deal is meant to fail, then Boris can play whatever card he has up his sleeve to get around the surrender act for No Deal and claim he tried his best but Parliament voted against the deal so they got no deal. I hope I'm right.

Hard Brexiteers wishing their life away.

I think you're totally out of touch with the wishes of the majority of people in Northern Ireland (and Eire for that matter where there is little appetite for unification).

You are assuming a false equivalence between people's views on Brexit and the UK.
Some of the Hard Brexiteers haven't got a clue. Why? Because a lot of it is just junk English Nationalism regurgitated from loony websites.

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

With the DUP against it, and half of the ERG against it this deal has no chance.

As for Juncker saying he won't extend again, he looked drunk again when he said that so it's best ignored. He shouted at a Channel 4 reporter and then wobbled off taking little mini steps with a big guy either side making sure he didn't fall over. It's not his decision anyway.

I'm starting to think this deal is meant to fail, then Boris can play whatever card he has up his sleeve to get around the surrender act for No Deal and claim he tried his best but Parliament voted against the deal so they got no deal. I hope I'm right.

You and I rarely have any common ground when it comes to all things Brexit but I agree some of that statement.  Juncker's comments have been dismissed and there is every chance of an extension if needed.

And with the DUP it will be trickier getting the deal passed.  But I have been watching and listening to interviews with the ERG gang and one by one they are coming out and saying they will vote for the new re-hashed May deal (I mean the Boris deal).  I am sure they realise that not voting for Boris's deal would make a second referendum far more likely and that would probably mean Brexit being thrown out.  As nobody seems to be prepared to stand by their principles (????)  I expect they will vote yes to Boris.

I reckon Saturday will see more spinning than ever as people contradict everything they have been saying before.

18 hours ago, evadgib said:

Parliament won't know what hit it at the next election. 

Nor will the working class I'll stick my neck out if you were poor and miserable before all this then your situation will pretty much remain the same but get a bit worse year on year. I've decided to count my many blessings and turn away from the intellectual spectre of a Tory government. At least if Boris wins we will see no more pics of him visiting hospitals in the North. He only wants to be PM for his bucket list.

9 hours ago, SheungWan said:

An election is not being prevented. Outside of scheduled election, the date is within the decision of Parliament and certainly not beholden to hyperventilating Hard Brexiteers. So sorry.

If it were not for Brexit there would have been an election already, scheduled or not. Most of the MPs likely to lose their seats are remainers who are sitting on these green benches courtesy of leave voters, who had trusted the main party manifestos and who put them there. They will be ejected at next opportunity and they will know that already. 

Farage well peeed on LBC now says NI under a bus and when we come to negotiate FTA with EU no 1 priority - then EU have said we won't get one without fishing rights under the bus and regulatory alignment. If Boris gets a 100 majority - he won't care about any of these sectional interests it will be back to big business and making sure they are kept happy and FDI comes back to UK with frictionless trade.  Thankyou working class Brexiteers for your help you can stand down now and go back to your misery - job done. Oh and 4% increase for UK pensioners - expats in Thailand will be getting none of that as you can't vote. 

3 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Farage well peeed on LBC now says NI under a bus and when we come to negotiate FTA with EU no 1 priority - then EU have said we won't get one without fishing rights under the bus and regulatory alignment. If Boris gets a 100 majority - he won't care about any of these sectional interests it will be back to big business and making sure they are kept happy and FDI comes back to UK with frictionless trade.  Thankyou working class Brexiteers for your help you can stand down now and go back to your misery - job done. 

I saw a few interviews with Farage today and for the first time ever he looked a beaten man. He's convinced this treaty will go through and he knows how bad it is.

I hope he's wrong, but he does tend to be correct with these things about 95% of the time.

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I saw a few interviews with Farage today and for the first time ever he looked a beaten man. He's convinced this treaty will go through and he knows how bad it is.

I hope he's wrong, but he does tend to be correct with these things about 95% of the time.

He went to Dulwich College outclassed ,outmanoeuvred by the Eton mafia - it was ever thus 21 PM's to date. The Elites are back in town and ready to party !

If it were not for Brexit there would have been an election already, scheduled or not. Most of the MPs likely to lose their seats are remainers who are sitting on these green benches courtesy of leave voters, who had trusted the main party manifestos and who put them there. They will be ejected at next opportunity and they will know that already. 
If this, if that.

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

This is just about the worst scenario for Farage, if the deal goes ahead.  It will mean a Brexit (of sorts) has happened and his Brexit Party will die the same miserable death that UKIP did.  Maybe time for him to take his German wife and retire to the Costa Brava where he can spend his days in an "English pub" with a pint and tales of what could have been". 

4 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

This is just about the worst scenario for Farage, if the deal goes ahead.  It will mean a Brexit (of sorts) has happened and his Brexit Party will die the same miserable death that UKIP did.  Maybe time for him to take his German wife and retire to the Costa Brava where he can spend his days in an "English pub" with a pint and tales of what could have been". 

Somehow I doubt that. Love him or hate him, the guy has proven to be determined and resilient.

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Somehow I doubt that. Love him or hate him, the guy has proven to be determined and resilient.

Agreed.

I had a verruca once that was determined and resilient.  Took me years to get rid of it completely and even now I suspect it may still be lurking under the surface somewhere.  If  it ever comes back I will be sure to call it Nigel!

9 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

It seems a very bad deal all round - effectively May's  deal without the concessions she got from the EU . Other than being able to say we left the EU with a deal I can't see what it gives us.  Very bad for the economy, splits NI from the UK, leaves us in a terrible negotiating position, does not protect workers rights. I can't see either side of the brexit devid being happy with it.  

17 minutes ago, tebee said:

It seems a very bad deal all round - effectively May's  deal without the concessions she got from the EU . Other than being able to say we left the EU with a deal I can't see what it gives us.  Very bad for the economy, splits NI from the UK, leaves us in a terrible negotiating position, does not protect workers rights. I can't see either side of the brexit devid being happy with it.  

Quite frankly at this stage in the game, I am prepared to go for anything which isn't No Deal or Back To Square One on Monday.

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

Quite frankly at this stage in the game, I am prepared to go for anything which isn't No Deal or Back To Square One on Monday.

I think a lot of people share that view and that is why I think that the deal may get passed on Saturday.  It doesn't satisfy either side but we have all been beaten into submission and just want it all over.  Of course this is just the beginning and getting free trade deals agreed are going to be damn difficult as well!  Lot's more to come AAARRRRGH!

21 minutes ago, baboon said:

The stupid thing is , this is basically the deal the  the EU offered us 2 years ago, which everyone said at the time was unacceptable. It is much more to the EU advantage and I can see why they are "encouraging" us to accept it. 

Yet this is somehow presented as a triumph? 

33 minutes ago, baboon said:

I'm hearing much the same message on Twitter.

So we are at the point where we just accept whatever terrible deal is on offer?

It's not as if the EU has worn us down with it's tenacious negotiating - we have worn ourselves down negotiating with ourselves!

Archived