Northern Ireland's DUP says it cannot support Brexit deal as it stands

snoop1130

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is no wonder that so many people in the past left Great Britain, for some other part of the planet, to have a better government if nothing else. Seeing this stumbling along in the English Parliament is embarrassing, and boring at the same time. Who ever is still stalling for any deal, where they get everything they want is just dreaming.  Get on with the thing already.

Geezer

It is no wonder that so many people in the past left Great Britain, for some other part of the planet, to have a better government if nothing else. Seeing this stumbling along in the English Parliament is embarrassing, and boring at the same time. Who ever is still stalling for any deal, where they get everything they want is just dreaming.  Get on with the thing already.
Geezer
For sure. Thailand is just full of Brits who left the UK in order to enjoy better government. [emoji1782]

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Because for over 3 years "negotiations" were managed by Teresa May and her chosen Remainer cabinet and it took them that long to screw it up for the UK.

Boris inherited this steaming pile of bovine excretia and has had less than 3 months to deal with it. And he has tried despite Tory party MPs quitting, parliament hogtying him and that "nice" Gina Miller getting the courts onto him.

Teresa May must be laughing her socks off at this lot yet she is the main person to blame for it, and of course David Cameron who started it off knowing that at the referendum Remainers would win hands down. Har de har de har.
Poor Boris.

5 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Geezer

As has been pointed out on these boards many times, there is, currently, no such thing as an English Parliament. 

On 10/17/2019 at 11:50 PM, saengd said:

Interesting that BoJo and Claude are now in synch and best chums, Claude says no extension will be possible if the current deal is voted down, it's the current deal or no-deal, which would you rather have.....paging Mr Hobson.

An extension request is inevitable what ever happens.

It will be reluctantly granted as long as it is for a purpose of tidying up loose ends or a binding referendum,

Boris will have to write that letter unless he resigns with immediate effect, do not think that has ever happened before, going to the Queen and saying I resign and naming a person for her to call, just who would that be? Javid? Raab? Patel? Gove?

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

An extension request is inevitable what ever happens.

It will be reluctantly granted as long as it is for a purpose of tidying up loose ends or a binding referendum,

Boris will have to write that letter unless he resigns with immediate effect, do not think that has ever happened before, going to the Queen and saying I resign and naming a person for her to call, just who would that be? Javid? Raab? Patel? Gove?

I have posted 1 x UN convention and 1x act of Parliament that may yet render the surrender act obsolete. Whether I'm right or otherwise remains (no pun intended) to be seen.

HTH

On 10/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, Baerboxer said:

I think you're totally out of touch with the wishes of the majority of people in Northern Ireland (and Eire for that matter where there is little appetite for unification).

You are assuming a false equivalence between people's views on Brexit and the UK.

Actually the Lord Ashcroft poll gave a result that said 51% of potential voters in Northern Ireland. support reunification while 49% are opposed. Since the margin of error will be greater than that it might still be that a small majority are against reunification. However, where the poll is really interesting is that shows the strongest opposition is amongst the oldest quintile 65 and older. Once you go below that the numbers progressively get higher in their tilt in favor of union with the south.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/series-lord-ashcroft-polls-northern-ireland-voters-show-majority-favour-irish-reunification-171239

As for the Eire:  

Two-thirds of Irish would vote for united Ireland, poll says

https://www.politico.eu/article/election-two-thirds-of-irish-would-vote-for-united-ireland/

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

kingdong is not a fool - he will vote for the trotskyists......

He is a true defender of workers' rights and a sincere trade unionist.

and old hippy is made of stern stuff,when he was an angry young man(many moons ago ) he actually signed a petition!

22 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Actually the Lord Ashcroft poll gave a result that said 51% of potential voters in Northern Ireland. support reunification while 49% are opposed.

For any vote to be passed, there needs to be a bigger majority, like 60 % in favour .

51 -49 is too close to call ...............................

Just now, sanemax said:

For any vote to be passed, there needs to be a bigger majority, like 60 % in favour .

I don't know what the law is about that but for what it's worth I agree. That said, I was just addressing Baerboxer's assertion that unification is overwhelmingly unpopular in the north. Not anymore.

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

I don't know what the law is about that but for what it's worth I agree. That said, I was just addressing Baerboxer's assertion that unification is overwhelmingly unpopular in the north. Not anymore.

That poll was taken at the time when there was the real possibility of a hard border between the two Countries .

Now that that issue  has been resolved , there will not be a hard border between the two , pollsters may not be so inclined to want reunification .

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

and old hippy is made of stern stuff,when he was an angry young man(many moons ago ) he actually signed a petition!

Oh no, I would never take the risk of signing a petition, you never know what the consequences would be.

This is exactly why I admire a Working Class Hero like you!

Denouncing Thatcher, standing up for workers' rights, defending the trade unions, and critizising Labour for not abolishing Tory legislation.

I never realised that brexit was only a first step towards establishing a Workers Paradise.

Well, well, well - I for one never thought I'd be congratulating the DUP for standing up for their principals.

But here I am.

They decided the Union was more important than Brexit, no matter how big a bribe they were offered.

At last they have realized that British sovereignty over Northern Ireland is completely incompatible with Brexit.

They were thrown under the bus by Boris, now they get to throw him back under his own red bus.

They are apparently going to vote for a people vote amendment - revenge is a dish best served cold..... 

8 minutes ago, tebee said:

Well, well, well - I for one never thought I'd be congratulating the DUP for standing up for their principals.

But here I am.

They decided the Union was more important than Brexit, no matter how big a bribe they were offered.

At last they have realized that British sovereignty over Northern Ireland is completely incompatible with Brexit.

They were thrown under the bus by Boris, now they get to throw him back under his own red bus.

They are apparently going to vote for a people vote amendment - revenge is a dish best served cold..... 

They did the right thing, for the wrong reasons.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

They did the right thing, for the wrong reasons.

They voted according to their principals which is a good thing - it's just sad they have such terrible principals !

And it's one more lot of people we've turned against brexit  when they realized just how terrible and destructive it was going to be 

7 hours ago, tebee said:

But here I am.

What,all six of them?

But here I am.

Always good to throw the DUP under any bus.

On 10/19/2019 at 6:46 PM, sanemax said:

Why ?….. it was ok for Brexit and named  a democratic vote to respect…..why oh why different for the Irish ….?

On 10/19/2019 at 1:46 PM, sanemax said:

This is a comment on a poll about reunification of Ireland, by a brexiteer.

I think we have found our POST OF THE YEAR!

N Ireland voted to remain. They are getting what they voted for, in a fashion. The EU wants a united Ireland and its getting what it wants. England voted leave it is getting what it voted for. Scots will want another ref and will get what they vote for. Its called political compromise and that usually means no one gets everything they want.  Boris is doing the reverse of May but still using much of her deal... Deal or leave with no deal.

Parliament with its gerrymandering only has itself to blame... Right now either its leave with no deal as a United Kingdom or take the deal and effectively end the Union.

Rather Ironic remainers opposing the deal could lead to no deal but retain the Union and leavers supporting the deal will be supporting the defacto end of the United Kingdom. 

Now theres a twist. Confused yet ? :whistling:

Brexiteer not having the faintest idea what gerrymandering actually means other than throwing it around in an attempt to attack Parliamentary democracy.

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

This is a comment on a poll about reunification of Ireland, by a brexiteer.

I think we have found our POST OF THE YEAR!

Sarcasm and irony and taking the <deleted> is a British thing , you wouldnt understand 

Archived