BANGKOK
snoop1130

Northern Ireland's DUP says it cannot support Brexit deal as it stands

Just now, sanemax said:

For any vote to be passed, there needs to be a bigger majority, like 60 % in favour .

51 -49 is too close to call ...............................

I don't know what the law is about that but for what it's worth I agree. That said, I was just addressing Baerboxer's assertion that unification is overwhelmingly unpopular in the north. Not anymore.

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

I don't know what the law is about that but for what it's worth I agree. That said, I was just addressing Baerboxer's assertion that unification is overwhelmingly unpopular in the north. Not anymore.

That poll was taken at the time when there was the real possibility of a hard border between the two Countries .

Now that that issue  has been resolved , there will not be a hard border between the two , pollsters may not be so inclined to want reunification .

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

and old hippy is made of stern stuff,when he was an angry young man(many moons ago ) he actually signed a petition!

Oh no, I would never take the risk of signing a petition, you never know what the consequences would be.

This is exactly why I admire a Working Class Hero like you!

Denouncing Thatcher, standing up for workers' rights, defending the trade unions, and critizising Labour for not abolishing Tory legislation.

I never realised that brexit was only a first step towards establishing a Workers Paradise.

• Haha 2

Well, well, well - I for one never thought I'd be congratulating the DUP for standing up for their principals.

But here I am.

They decided the Union was more important than Brexit, no matter how big a bribe they were offered.

At last they have realized that British sovereignty over Northern Ireland is completely incompatible with Brexit.

They were thrown under the bus by Boris, now they get to throw him back under his own red bus.

They are apparently going to vote for a people vote amendment - revenge is a dish best served cold..... 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tebee said:

Well, well, well - I for one never thought I'd be congratulating the DUP for standing up for their principals.

But here I am.

They decided the Union was more important than Brexit, no matter how big a bribe they were offered.

At last they have realized that British sovereignty over Northern Ireland is completely incompatible with Brexit.

They were thrown under the bus by Boris, now they get to throw him back under his own red bus.

They are apparently going to vote for a people vote amendment - revenge is a dish best served cold..... 

They did the right thing, for the wrong reasons.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

They did the right thing, for the wrong reasons.

They voted according to their principals which is a good thing - it's just sad they have such terrible principals !

And it's one more lot of people we've turned against brexit  when they realized just how terrible and destructive it was going to be 

Edited by tebee
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tebee said:

But here I am.

What,all six of them?

9 hours ago, kingdong said:

What,all six of them?

In this no majority parliament, those few votes could make all the differance.  

But here I am.

Always good to throw the DUP under any bus.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 6:46 PM, sanemax said:

For any vote to be passed, there needs to be a bigger majority, like 60 % in favour .

Why ?….. it was ok for Brexit and named  a democratic vote to respect…..why oh why different for the Irish ….?

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2019 at 1:46 PM, sanemax said:

This is a comment on a poll about reunification of Ireland, by a brexiteer.

I think we have found our POST OF THE YEAR!

Edited by oldhippy
thank you David
  • Like 1

N Ireland voted to remain. They are getting what they voted for, in a fashion. The EU wants a united Ireland and its getting what it wants. England voted leave it is getting what it voted for. Scots will want another ref and will get what they vote for. Its called political compromise and that usually means no one gets everything they want.  Boris is doing the reverse of May but still using much of her deal... Deal or leave with no deal.

Parliament with its gerrymandering only has itself to blame... Right now either its leave with no deal as a United Kingdom or take the deal and effectively end the Union.

Rather Ironic remainers opposing the deal could lead to no deal but retain the Union and leavers supporting the deal will be supporting the defacto end of the United Kingdom. 

Now theres a twist. Confused yet ? :whistling:

Brexiteer not having the faintest idea what gerrymandering actually means other than throwing it around in an attempt to attack Parliamentary democracy.

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

This is a comment on a poll about reunification of Ireland, by a brexiteer.

I think we have found our POST OF THE YEAR!

Sarcasm and irony and taking the <deleted> is a British thing , you wouldnt understand 

• Haha 1

Why ?….. it was ok for Brexit and named  a democratic vote to respect…..why oh why different for the Irish ….?
Remember that NI was established as an entity precisely to bypass majority rule in the whole of Ireland.

• Thanks 1