Regina King on fighting white supremacists in Watchmen: 'My community is living this story'

snoop1130

Regina King on fighting white supremacists in Watchmen: 'My community is living this story'

By Emma Brockes

4079.jpg

‘Not a lot of good teeth in Britain’ … King, who won an Oscar for If Beale Street Could Talk. Photograph: Victoria Will/Invision/AP

Regina King had a hard time convincing some of her friends about Watchmen, her new HBO series inspired by the DC comic book of the same name and featuring the kind of details that make some people run for the exits: time travel, kung-fu fighting, masks and thinly veiled political allegory. “Girl, don’t do this,” said one friend. King could only smile and agree.

But we would all do well to watch King – in anything. At 48, she is in her prime.

While filming Watchmen, King won the best supporting actress Oscar for If Beale Street Could Talk, based on the James Baldwin novel.

For years, she has been turning out quietly devastating portraits – in the movies Jerry Maguire and Ray, in the TV show Southland – with little public recognition.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/oct/16/regina-king-beale-street-watchmen-superhero-hbo-dc-comics-oscar-actor

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

For years, she has been turning out quietly devastating portraits – in the movies Jerry Maguire and Ray, in the TV show Southland – with little public recognition.

Such little public recognition that I never heard of her. I saw Jerry Maguire and I don't even remember her in that.

Archived