Jump to content
BANGKOK
Genericnic

Plan B path to non-O and extension

Recommended Posts

So, it looks like my current extension of permission to stay from my original O-A visa (about 8 years ago) will expire while I am out of the Kingdom. No way to get a new extension in time. In an effort to get back in to status (extension of permission to stay), I am preparing Plan B.

 

Currently it looks like I will arrive back in Thailand and get a visa exempt entry (US citizen) for 30 days. Once in, I'll file a TM87 for change of visa to a Non-O. I'll already have 800k baht in a Thai bank for more than 60 days. Assuming the change is granted, I have to file for the extension of permission to stay within the last 30 days of the 90 days you get the non-O under the change visa procedures.

 

The questions that remain are:

 

1. Do I stay in Bangkok for a couple of weeks and do the process through Bangkok immigration or do I come back to Chiang Mai and deal with that office? My general feeling is that Bangkok is less arbitrary in how they handle things than Chiang Mai. Also, as I understand it, the TM87 has to be sent to Bangkok anyway for approval.

 

2. While I have not found any clear listing of what documents need to be filed with the TM87, I have found references to leases and letters from hotel/guesthouse with letterhead indication residence. Not sure if a lease from my condo in Cm would work for filing in Bangkok. Also, updated bank passbooks and letters from banks - in my case Bangkok Bank - showing the current balance and stating that the funds came from outside of Thailand are required. If I stay in Bangkok, I have to check with my local bank here in CM to see if the main bank can produce that documentation. If not, I think I may be stuck dealing with CM immigration. 

 

So, anything anyone sees about documents I may have missed or thoughts on which office to deal with would be appreciated. Also any information from anyone that might have done a TM87 change of visa at Bangkok would be appreciated as well.

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

Do I stay in Bangkok for a couple of weeks and do the process through Bangkok immigration or do I come back to Chiang Mai

You need to go to your local office for extensions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Unless you have an address in Bangkok you will not be able to apply for a non immigrant visa in there. They have been doing home visits during the 2 week approval. If you get in in Bangkok you would have to apply for the extension of stay as well.

If the application is done in Chiang Mai it will be sent to immigration division 5 in Chiang Mai for a approval.

Best to do it in Chiang Mai.

2. General requirements are here.  https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

In Chiang Mai you have to have 21 days remaining on the 30 day entry or the 30 day extension of it on the day apply.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Unless you have an address in Bangkok you will not be able to apply for a non immigrant visa in there. They have been doing home visits during the 2 week approval. If you get in in Bangkok you would have to apply for the extension of stay as well.

If the application is done in Chiang Mai it will be sent to immigration division 5 in Chiang Mai for a approval.

Best to do it in Chiang Mai.

2. General requirements are here.  https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

In Chiang Mai you have to have 21 days remaining on the 30 day entry or the 30 day extension of it on the day apply.

Thanks @ubonjoe. Looks like I am stuck with the CM office. 😢

 

At least getting all the paperwork in order will be easier. And I don't have to hang out in BKK for a couple of weeks. 

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

My feeling is that since you enter with an exemption of visa, or a NEW visa, you start from scratch. So you could go to any immigration office you want, Bangkok or Chiang Mai, or else, as long as you have an address there (no matter you were elsewhere before). Once you get a visa or an extension at one place, you are linked to that place for notifications and new extensions.

 

 

As for me, I entered Thailand in january 2019 with a Non-O visa 90 days (very easy to get in France, I guess the same in the USA).

 

 

Once in Bangkok, I asked for a retirement extension 30 days before my non-0 90 days visa expired :

 

 

  • I did not need to give any “references to leases and letters from hotel/guesthouse”, they only asked me to give them an address (which they can cross check with my guesthouse declaration) and to draw a map of the location
  • I only gave them :
    • One picture
    • Fees
    • Voucher for my revenues. I did not transfer 800 000 bahts to Bangkok bank where my bank account is
    • A drawing map of my place , to be sure I knew where I lived I guess
  • I do not remember which form I filled in. I filled in what they asked me to
  • I stayed at Chaengwattana Immigration office 5 hours and half (about 20kms form downtown). I arrived at 11am and left at 4:30 pm. Better to get there earlier ! . At Chaengwattana you have everything which could be missing (take pictures, make copies, get voucher from Bangkok Bank of your current account balance, eat, etc…
  • I do believe Bangkok is less arbitrary

               

Edited by aixois

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Genericnic said:

Thanks @ubonjoe. Looks like I am stuck with the CM office. 😢

 

At least getting all the paperwork in order will be easier. And I don't have to hang out in BKK for a couple of weeks. 

 

David

Not a couple of weeks. To get my extension to a non-o 90 visa, everything was done the same day.
I arrived too lated in the morning to ask for a multiple entries permission (another queue) and I had to come back for it, but if you are theer when it opens, or even earlier (you can get a ticket) you can do everything the same day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess you want to get a non O Visa because of health insurance.

I am about sure non O visa will require health insurance soon, too.

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aixois said:

I guess you want to get a non O Visa because of health insurance.

I am about sure non O visa will require health insurance soon, too.

 

 

Insurance is one of the reasons. I have excellent health insurance that covers me world-wide at much higher levels than that required by the new rules. The problem is that it is near impossible to get the document signed that they require to allow me to use it. 

 

I am anticipating that insurance will soon be needed for non-O as well. I'll be taking the next year to research options of where to relocate to assuming they don't change the rule to allow use of my current insurance. Right now, Malaysia and Vietnam are both looking good.

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aixois said:

Not a couple of weeks. To get my extension to a non-o 90 visa, everything was done the same day.
I arrived too lated in the morning to ask for a multiple entries permission (another queue) and I had to come back for it, but if you are theer when it opens, or even earlier (you can get a ticket) you can do everything the same day

The couple of weeks was the time required for the change of visa, if my understanding is correct. 

 

Either way, I'll let my local visa agent (Best Friend Visa) handle it. They have been doing great work for me for the past few years at a reasonable price.

 

David

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, aixois said:

Not a couple of weeks. To get my extension to a non-o 90 visa, everything was done the same day.

Read the OP again, He is applying for a non immigrant (category O) visa entry at immigration. It takes at least 2 weeks to get the approval of it at the division level of immigration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Unless you have an address in Bangkok you will not be able to apply for a non immigrant visa in there. They have been doing home visits during the 2 week approval. If you get in in Bangkok you would have to apply for the extension of stay as well.

If the application is done in Chiang Mai it will be sent to immigration division 5 in Chiang Mai for a approval.

Best to do it in Chiang Mai.

2. General requirements are here.  https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

In Chiang Mai you have to have 21 days remaining on the 30 day entry or the 30 day extension of it on the day apply.

@ubonjoe

 

Just reread the requirements in the link you sent for BKK Immigration and stopped by my visa agent the morning to see what was required there. Amazing how many extra things CM requires, e.g. copy of lease, copy of house book and ID of owner, etc. Plus you only have to file it more than 15 days before your 90 days expires whereas CM requires at least 21 days before. Even my visa agent says CM is the most difficult office to deal with. 

 

I'll be in BKK next week and have a free day. I may run over to CW and get the correct information for what is needed to file there. I'll post what I find out.

 

The more I read about it, the more I am thinking about getting a cheap rental in BKK and doing the change there. 

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, aixois said:

I guess you want to get a non O Visa because of health insurance.

I am about sure non O visa will require health insurance soon, too.

 

 

How did you arrive at that conclusion. "I am about sure a non o........"

Let me guess, you flipped a coin? Maybe took a punt and thought that you would throw it out on TV.

Edited by DrJack54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Genericnic said:

Just reread the requirements in the link you sent for BKK Immigration and stopped by my visa agent the morning to see what was required there.

That is just basic info as far as the requirements go. It is for all office not only Bangkok.

Bangkok and many others may want what CM wants.

 

1 hour ago, Genericnic said:

The more I read about it, the more I am thinking about getting a cheap rental in BKK and doing the change there. 

You would have stay there until you were able to apply for your one year extension. CM immigration would reject your application with a visa issued in Bangkok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

How did you arrive at that conclusion. "I am about sure a non o........"

Let me guess, you flipped a coin? Maybe took a punt and thought that you would throw it out on TV.

he put a pointy hat on and looked it up in his spell book under TVF baiting trolling and talking nonsense 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moderator, feel free to close this topic. I have the information I need and it seems to be drifting off course.

 

David

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...