Overnight Yala or Betong?

Gweiloman

Hi all, would appreciate some advice/comments.

I will be driving into Malaysia, crossing over at Betong, sometime next week. Any suggestions about the route? (Driving from Bangkok). Any shall we say, areas or roads to avoid?

Also, would it be better to overnight in Yala or Betong before crossing over the next day? I normally budget between Thb500-800 for an overnight, preferring resorts, as long as they are clean.

Not fussed about nightlife as I always travel with my partner but always try to look for good restaurants.

Any other thoughts are much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Definately betong ,,,yala there is army checkpoints nearly every km in places ,slow moving traffic,stick to the main roads in yala and overnight in betong????,,,you going the scenic route then don’t fancy hat yai crossing(dannock????????????)

Definately betong ,,,yala there is army checkpoints nearly every km in places ,slow moving traffic,stick to the main roads in yala and overnight in betong[emoji106],,,you going the scenic route then don’t fancy hat yai crossing(dannock[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23])

I have done the Danok/Sadao crossing about 4-5 times already so fancied a change of scenery :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

So basically stay on the main highway and not go into Yala town?

I think you'll have to go via Yala town, to pick up the main road (410) to Betong.

There are army checkpoints all over the south, even Hat Yai has checkpoints coming into town, they just become more frequent and more attentive the further south you go.

Visited Betong a number of times back in the 90's when working in Kelantan. Would drive there via the East-West Highway (really scenic drive) and park up near the Malaysian border post. Initially the Cathay Hotel was the only decent place in town, before the Merlin opened and, more recently, the Mandarin. Not sure if there are any resort type places but likely to be. Found it to be very laid back and rather pleasant weather wise. A new airport is under construction nearby so expect the place  to likely become inundated with the usual culprits. I understand that the Yala Betong road can be a bit of a chore, drive wise.

Other options could be to drive down the east coast to Tak Bai (cross to Malaysia via a ferry) or Sungai Golok. The roads are better but still with the security check points issue. Accommodation plentiful in Golok but very limited in Tak Bai (I  stayed at the Tak Bai Lagoon Resort, basic but decent but that was 20 years back). I am hoping to make a trip back to the area at some stage to look up some familiar places.

Even if you don't fancy the nightlife, Betong is still the nicer town to go. It feels very relaxed there and there are many hotels at a low price. Make sure you arrive before dark though, as the beautiful but mountainous roads, especially from Bannang Sata onwards, become a real challenge after dark.

If you must stay in Yala City:

I have stayed in two Yala hotels before, the Park View and, more recently, the Yala Rama. The latter was a bit more expensive at 600 baht a night for a double bed room but much better upkept and newer.

I am actually traveling to Yala tomorrow due to my family-in-law living there, but would much rather stay in Betong or my home town of Narathiwat. 

Thanks everyone for your invaluable input. I will definitely chance it and overnight in Betong and try to get there before dark. Having said that, I’ve had many a time traversing Thailand’s mountainous roads in the dark on a bike, using the headlights of the car in front as a guide.
I drive to Msia about 3-4 times a year, mainly to enjoy the hawker food there. Have been using the Sadao crossing but decided to try other crossings. Planning to come back on the western most crossing - Satun?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

12 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

using the headlights of the car in front as a guide.

You might find other traffic fairly scarce!

17 hours ago, dabhand said:

Other options could be to drive down the east coast to Tak Bai (cross to Malaysia via a ferry) or Sungai Golok.

The Golok route, coastal road, is the easier journey, but then crossing into Malaysia you're in Kelantan, and getting anywhere from there is a pain as you're the wrong side of the hills and the road quality is not as good as west coast side.

On 10/18/2019 at 11:29 PM, Gweiloman said:

Thanks everyone for your invaluable input. I will definitely chance it and overnight in Betong and try to get there before dark. Having said that, I’ve had many a time traversing Thailand’s mountainous roads in the dark on a bike, using the headlights of the car in front as a guide.
I drive to Msia about 3-4 times a year, mainly to enjoy the hawker food there. Have been using the Sadao crossing but decided to try other crossings. Planning to come back on the western most crossing - Satun?

I did that trip on my Honda Dream in 1997 and still remember it vividly, especially since it was the first time I had ever ridden a motorbike. It was nice back then, but not sure what it might be like now. Please let us know...

I’m totally blown away by the last part of the trip. I never realised that there were such twisties that far south in Thailand.

The 410 is equivalent to many of the twisties up north. Most of the road is in fairly good condition.

For some stupid reason, my waze directed me off the 410 onto the 4036 I think. This was also extremely twisty and rather narrow. The biggest problem was that there was hardly any other traffic on this road and there were multiple mini landslides, blocking off half the road. There was even a very short (about 10m) section where moss was even growing on the road - evidence of almost zero traffic passing. I was a bit apprehensive that the road would suddenly turn into a dirt path and I didn’t fancy getting stuck there. But I persevered and rejoined the 410 about 10 kms further on.

I would definitely like to do the 410 Yala Betong again but this time on my bike. Only problem is that it’s a long way from CM.

Crossing the border at Betong was a lot easier than at Sadao. On the Malaysian side, the road was also excellent for bikes. Nice bends, generally good condition.

Thanks for reporting back, good to hear it was an enjoyable trip. How was Betong, it's a very long time since I was there last, though I doubt it has changed much in twenty-five years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 1:02 PM, Stocky said:

Thanks for reporting back, good to hear it was an enjoyable trip. How was Betong, it's a very long time since I was there last, though I doubt it has changed much in twenty-five years. 

Sorry for delay. 
it was the first time I was in Betong but can’t say I was impressed. It seemed to me to be a sleepy town except at night when the mongers come out to play. I wouldn’t stay there longer than necessary unless I was so inclined, if you know what I mean. I used to partake actively when I was younger but have since settled comfortably into a more domesticated lifestyle. 
I would imagine that it hadn’t changed much in the last 25 yrs lol. 

Archived