Shoe/sneakers larger than US size 11 - mail order only?

JimmyJ

I'm imagining that shoe/sneaker sizes larger than 11, like 12-13-14, are not generally sold in Thailand (or all of Asian)  shoe stores.

Is this correct?

If so, what companies do you use for mail order, and what are their return policies?

Eastbay, GOAT for me. You are able to return new stuff unworn but surely you know your shoe size as that will be an expensive endeavour. There may be heaps of stores but what style shoes. Also don't forget the 30% luxury tax and 7% vat that is calculated on the price of the shoes plus postage that you will be paying on every order. Also try and avoid fedex or DHL as they will attempt to extort money from you on top of what I've just mentioned as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I'm imagining that shoe/sneaker sizes larger than 11, like 12-13-14, are not generally sold in Thailand (or all of Asian)  shoe stores.

Is this correct?

Maybe 20 years ago it was difficult to find big size shoes but not anymore. ECCO shoe stores (Danish brand)can be found inside the bigger malls like Central. Very good quality but expensive.

I buy all my shoes there, I am size 13 (46-47 EU) .  Sometimes they are out of stock but you can order, the ECCO factory is located in Thailand. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

If all you need is a shoe that fits, of course with some effort you can get larger sizes in Thailand and SE Asia generally.

But selection is very very limited. Basically you take what you can find.

So I order online to get what I want. Usually Amazon, but also Reebok, Ebay and Shoebacca. Amazon in particular is tricky because their prices are always jumping around: to get a good price you have to constantly check the website and be a bit flexible as to the precise style you order.

Returns? Not practical, so you do take a risk. I've never had a problem with sizing, but sometimes the shoe that arrives isn't quite as comfortable or good looking as I expected.

If sizing is a big concern, stick with one brand with sizing you know works for you.

• Like 1

Myself I have terrible luck finding shoes that fit without trying them on first.  For larger than size 11 I've had no luck with any of countries in the region. 

Not long ago I bought a pair of size 13 online from a US site, had them shipped to a friend, who then sent them to me in in Malaysia, I think the shipping alone was around $40.  Imagine my disappointment when I found they were too small.  (I've had good luck receiving foreign packages in Malaysia hassle-free, so I stick with what works.)  At the time I couldn't find an online shoe place that had what I wanted that would ship overseas.

If you look hard enough you might find black oxfords in larger sizes, otherwise ...

If you have wide feet Sketchers in the US has been advertising that they accommodate such, it's about time somebody did!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, balo said:

I buy all my shoes there, I am size 13 (46-47 EU) .  Sometimes they are out of stock but you can order, the ECCO factory is located in Thailand. 

I think that's the largest they go... And in my experience store shopping, they rarely seem to have that size in stock, and if they do, it's perhaps a single pair or two.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I'm imagining that shoe/sneaker sizes larger than 11, like 12-13-14,

Decathlon stores seem to stock plenty.

You can buy online if you want, but I prefer to visit the store and try them on.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bendejo said:

Myself I have terrible luck finding shoes that fit without trying them on first.  For larger than size 11 I've had no luck with any of countries in the region. 

Not long ago I bought a pair of size 13 online from a US site, had them shipped to a friend, who then sent them to me in in Malaysia, I think the shipping alone was around $40.  Imagine my disappointment when I found they were too small.  (I've had good luck receiving foreign packages in Malaysia hassle-free, so I stick with what works.)  At the time I couldn't find an online shoe place that had what I wanted that would ship overseas.

If you look hard enough you might find black oxfords in larger sizes, otherwise ...

If you have wide feet Sketchers in the US has been advertising that they accommodate such, it's about time somebody did!

That's the big problem with shoes, in that sizes really aren't consistent from one manufacturer to another. So you may be a size 13 in one brand, but can be a 12 or 14 in other brands. Which makes ordering shoes online from abroad a very dicey deal -- unless you already know the fit of the particular brand you're ordering.

I can say, that of all the manufacturers, probably New Balance has the greatest selection of both large size shoes for men as well as extra wide widths. A lot of their styles go up to 16, and some up to 20. And a lot of their styles also go to 2E or 4E widths.

New Balance has their on online store:

https://www.newbalance.com/

And also have an online outlet store with a lot of good discounts:

https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/

AFAIK, neither the NB U.S. online store nor the outlet store will ship direct to Thailand, so you'd have to use a reshipper or other method for orders with them.

The NB retail outlets in Thailand don't carry anything larger than 13 and tend to stock only the cheapest models of NB shoes, not the better quality ones sold in the U.S.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I can say, that of all the manufacturers, probably New Balance has the greatest selection of both large size shoes for men as well as extra wide widths.

New Balance in thailand goes untill size 45 iirc, i gave up on them already....

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You can buy online if you want, but I prefer to visit the store and try them on.

It looks like their shoe sizes tend to top out at about 12-13 U.S., which is the top of the normal retail range.

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/735-running-trail

9 minutes ago, Thian said:

New Balance in thailand goes untill size 45 iirc, i gave up on them already....

Yes, I said that in my post... And that's why I included the two online store links for NB in the U.S., where they carry and sell the full range of long and wide sizes that their Thailand stores don't sell.

The NB retail outlets in Thailand don't carry anything larger than 13 and tend to stock only the cheapest models of NB shoes, not the better quality ones sold in the U.S.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, I said that in my post... And that's why I included the two online store links for NB in the U.S., where they carry and sell the full range of long and wide sizes that their Thailand stores don't sell.

Size 13 us is my size, that is 31 cm...just bought a new pair of under armor shoes and have plenty of nikes's in that size. That is EU size 47.5 so that's a lot larger than  size 45...

Another vote for New Balance: I've always found them consistent with sizing. And as mentioned, you've got far more and better models of New Balance for sale online in the US than you'll find in Asia, where yes, they do tend to look and feel cheap.

I've bought Brooks sneakers from Supersports, Central Chidlom, a couple of times. They're decent. The first pair lasted a couple of years through frequent use and the second one I just got a month ago.

The label says my size: USA 14, EUR 48.5, UK 13, 32 CM

For regular shoes, like others above say, Ecco has large sizes. Go to their shop in Central World.

Edited by Why Me

Just a question.

I know when it comes to men's clothing, like trousers and shirts, stuff sold in Asia is usually cut to a different pattern than the US, to account for different styles and different common body types.

But what about shoes? Is a Nike size 10 sold in Thailand identical in all dimensions to one sold in the US?

I think buying in person is mandatory.

My last 6 or 8 pairs of sneakers have been Asics Gel Kayanos.

Never an issue.

Recently I tried 2 pairs of last year's version and they hurt my feet and I returned them.

Tried 1 pair of this year's version and same thing.

So either my feet have changed, or they changed the way it's manufactured which is much more likely.

I use this trekkin online store to buy shoes. If you go under quantity you can click "what is my size" they can help find the correct size depending on manufacturer. 

This option can be expensive. Since the price was in thai baht I thought it was a Thai website. It's not! The shoes were shipped from the Netherlands and I had to pay around 60% import tax. However the quality is excellent compared to what we get used in Thailand. 

The alternative of course is to cobble together your own shoes.

There's a company in New York, Brooklyn Shoe Supply, that not only sells everything you need, like fat-nose lasting pincers, but also holds courses where you can learn the trade. Next week there's a three-day stiletto class:

http://brooklynshoespace.com/schedule/2019/10/25/3-day-stiletto-class

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I agree on Decathlon. I bought some very cheap shoes there, size 47 EU. And when they have a sale you can get some of the models under 1000 baht. 

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I think buying in person is mandatory.

What actual size do you need?

11-13 U.S. is probably pretty do-able here, depending on the store.

You might find a rare U.S. 14 somewhere, and as one poster above mentioned, I've seen a few 14 sizes at Central Chidlom in BKK.

But in general here, anything larger than size 13 U.S. is going to be rare, and 15 and up is impossible.