World Scrabble Championship: Fifteen year old Thai boy in third place

webfact

World Scrabble Championship: Fifteen year old Thai boy in third place

WESPAC-Tarin-2.jpg

Tarin playing Scrabble at the Word Wizard academy in Korat, NE Thailand

Players at the World Scrabble Championships in India were shaking their heads in disbelief as a 15 year old Thai boy from Korat moved into third place after day two in Goa.

Tarin Pairor has only been playing the world's most popular word game for two years. Now he could be set to be crowned the third world champion from Thailand, one of the leading Scrabble playing nations on the planet.

Tarin - whose mother is Thai and father a Canadian with a Phd - is a Year 10 secondary pupil at the Plookpanya Nakhon Ratchasima school. In his spare time it is all about Scrabble as he tries to emulate his peers who have brought honor to the kingdom.

WESPAC-Tarin.jpg

Tarin Pairor (left) receiving a prize at the King's Cup in Bangkok

He is the star player at the Word Wizard academy in his native Korat. It is an establishment devoted to training top level Scrabble players started by world renowned expert player Akkarapol Kwansak.

Akkarapol told Thaivisa that he is very proud of the achievement so far of his protege. He said that Scrabble has helped Tarin with his concentration levels at school as well as doing wonders for his vocabulary and mathematical capabilities.

"I have taught him since he started learning the two letter words two years ago," said Akkarapol. Tharin also displays a maturity and determination well beyond his years.

There are 140 players competing at the WESPAC event - the World English Scrabble Players' Association Championship. Tarin has won 12 games and lost only four at the halfway stage of the 32 game event.

Wespac-Nigel.jpg

File photo of the greatest Scrabble player of all time, Nigel Richards of New Zealand

He is surrounded by seasoned Scrabble playing professionals who are two and three times as old as him. Breathing down his neck on 12-4 is Nigel Richards of New Zealand, the widely accepted greatest player of all time.

Nigel, who has won both the French and English world titles multiple times, makes a handsome living from the prize money on offer in tournaments around the world. He has won the prestigious and iconic King's Cup in Bangkok on more than a dozen occasions.

He knows all the more than a quarter of a million words in the Collins dictionary used at the championships. Tarin has a way to go to match these awesome abilities but with luck being a factor in Scrabble there is always the possibility of a surprise.

The tournament is being led by Jesse Day of the United States who has a 14-2 record followed by Allan Oyende of Kenya in second on 13-3.

Thatcha Koowirat of Thailand lies in 12th place with 11 wins and five defeats. The Bangkokian is an experienced world class player and is also capable of winning the title.

WESPAC-Day-2.jpg

Standings after 16 games at the WESPAC in Goa, India

The event, with thirty countries participating, is being held in a large sports stadium in the western state of Goa. Many people around the world - particularly in Thailand and Nigeria -consider Scrabble to be a sport. 

The tournament ends with a best of seven games final on Sunday.

In Thailand Scrabble enjoys the gracious patronage of the Thai Royal Family and attracts sponsorship and support from some of the biggest companies in the country.

Rooster

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-18

43 minutes ago, Nobbie49 said:

Is that you with the beard Rooster?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If only....I just do stubble. 

But I have beaten Nigel 11 times in my stellar Scrabble career! Not many people can say that, in fact some people wear T-shirts saying they have beaten him once.

Update: Tarin just beat Nigel Richards to take the outright lead after 22. I'm getting a bit excited....

Rooster

Scrabble World Championship Update:

Isan Thai schoolboy moves into the lead!

WESPAC-Tarin-2.jpg.6e8433080dbd02c3d8fc1ef4471d3d06.jpg

Tarin Pairor

Fifteen year old Thai schoolboy Tarin Pairor was sensationally leading the World Scrabble Championship in India on Friday. 

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1129277-scrabble-world-championship-update-isan-thai-schoolboy-moves-into-the-lead/

Archived