Govt stresses efforts to help the poor

webfact

c6683b606d7278d4e4a7a52037ae52ef_small.jpg  

BANGKOK (NNT) - After four ministers held talks with the Assembly of the Poor, a Minister at the Prime Minister’s Office assigned as the main negotiator, yesterday received suggestions in person from the Assembly, while reassuring those involved that the government has long been committed to solving their issues, but some cases may take longer if involved with policies and law.

A Minister at the Prime Minister’s Office Tewan Liptapallop, who is the chairman of the negotiating team with the Assembly of the Poor, yesterday held talks with Assembly representatives to discuss ways to solve their problems, which include the failure of a private company to provide employment termination compensation as required by law, and suggestions for the Ministry of Labour to amend employment-related law such as the Labour Relations Act, the Social Security Act, and related laws to ensure fair treatment of employees.

Mr Tewan said he has been alerted to many issues by the Assembly, and will be forwarding these cases to relevant ministries for further investigation and to find solutions before the next meeting, adding that the government will regularly hold meetings with the Assembly.

He said the Assembly understood the government’s role in examining some of these issues which may take a lengthy period to resolve, especially those addressing existing policies and law, however the government has confirmed it will pursue these cases to lessen the hardships faced by Assembly members, but the length of time required is unclear.

"Listening to their concerns, I looked at many aspects. I think today the Assembly for the Poor is really facing hardships. They just want all problems to end. They also understand some issues will take some time to solve as they require actions at the policy level. We will do all we can for issues we can address now, but those requiring policy and law amendment will take some time."

nnt.jpg

The answer is simple.

Stop siphoning off the gravy and sending it offshore. Invest same in the Thai economy and infrastructure.

Do like Than will do and get a jump on him. Much better than trying to kick his behind out of politics.

It was strange choice of "main negotiator' wasn't it. A man from a family in the top 50 richest in the country, an empire in construction and property are hardly likely to understand what its like to be poor. Govt and its citizens are, and have always been, miles apart here in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

".....some issues will take some time to solve as they require actions...........".

Action is not a strong feature of this government so the Assembly of the Poor will need to wait until the Assembly of the Rich gets around to even looking at their mundane problems.

The Assembly of the Rich are very busy at present looking after the interests of the Assembly of the Elite. 

while reassuring those involved that the government has long been committed to solving their issues,

What a shameless statement.  One of the Greatest concentration of wealth the world has ever seen.  The junta has failed miserably. 

problems, which include the failure of a private company to provide employment termination compensation as required by law,

Yes, but that is a small problem.  The bigger problem is the lack of opportunity and education.   

My wife goes to a clinic in our village bi-monthly for a blood pressure check and meds. Last week an official at the clinic told her that she may have to pay full price for her meds rather than get them on the 30 baht plan because of a lack of funding. We aren't poor and it wouldn't be a major hardship for us, but there are people here who are very poor. If they are being given the same message it doesn't sound as if there is any concern for them from the government.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

After four ministers held talks, yes that all they did talk, something this so-called government are good at.

Come on Colin,they're not all talk as they have been instrumental in helping the poor achieve the largest disparity between rich and poor in the whole world and thus creating Thailand as a global hub of the poor.Thailand,the global leaders in raping the poor another number one which also makes them number one in the world for not caring about others in the community.What does that say about how they adhere to their own religious beliefs?Thailand is a global hub of hypocrisy.  

9 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

What a shameless statement.  One of the Greatest concentration of wealth the world has ever seen.  The junta has failed miserably. 

Yes, but that is a small problem.  The bigger problem is the lack of opportunity and education.   

As Cadbury just described them - 'the Assembly of the Rich' - the last thing they want is for opportunity and education, as that would sow the seeds of creating a more equal society.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

I once spoke to a 'high-so' who bragged of paying his Burmese maid just 5,000 a month. He told me it was very cheap; like he was disclosing inside information just for me. He continued to tell me how they keep just running away and he has to keep finding new ones. I wonder if he ever connected the dots. 

You can't sincerely help people if you don't have empathy. 

Most rich aren't rich because they are overwhelmingly generous. Selfishness is rampant among the hi-so ranks.

I once spoke to a 'high-so' who bragged of paying his Burmese maid just 5,000 a month. He told me it was very cheap; like he was disclosing inside information just for me. He continued to tell me how they keep just running away and he has to keep finding new ones. I wonder if he ever connected the dots. 

You can't sincerely help people if you don't have empathy. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Why don't they stop building the military commanders shiny new palace & donate the funds to the poor...

he can reside in his own home which he can adequately afford on his salary, as for distinguished guests I'm sure there are plenty of hotels in Bangkok that could accommodate them in comfort.

16 minutes ago, Denim said:

Since the coup it is no surprise that the rich have got richer ( as intended ) and the poor , poorer.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F5%2F8%2F2%2F5%2F19685285-1-eng-GB%2F20190307%20Thai%20Election%20wealth.png?source=nar-cms

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticleimage%2F8%2F0%2F1%2F5%2F19685108-1-eng-GB%2F20190307%20Thai%20Election%20growth.png?source=nar-cms

From this article :

The 99% election: Thais are worse off after five years of military rule.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Cover-Story/The-99-election-Thais-are-worse-off-after-five-years-of-military-rule

Just about sums it up 

I am reminded of the ( I believe) 3.000 baht payments allocated to the "destitute" 

A young heroic, student, Khon Kaen whistle-blower revealed that she (and others) were recruited to forge signatures of receipt for these amounts. It turned out that this was happening nationwide. Can a person sink lower than that?. I don't believe attitudes have changed. 

Archived